What's new

Does China Have An Enforced 20 Year Service Life On It's Coasters?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Note: Before we dive in I dont have a conclusive answer for this but its been an interesting bit of research for me so thought I'd put some notes down on here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been an interesting question thats been floating around the internets for a while. And after the unexpected closure of Chimelong Paradise's Vekoma Motorbike coaster after just 17 years it has popped up again.

Do major coasters in China now have a maximum 20 years of service life before they must be removed?

They certainly didn't before, There are plenty of examples of rides which lasted beyond 20 years in the past. Express Station in Harbin reached the grand old age of 35 before it was removed in 2020 (it is thought to still live on in Uzbekistan as well) But over the last few years there has been more and more talk of this rule coming in and now being enforced.

I've never seen any concrete evidence of it (A nice scanned government document maybe in English would be nice :) ) but cicrumstantial evidence certainly suggests it may well be true. It seems every single major thrill coaster over 20 years old has closed in the last few years.

Perhaps most notably the Roller Coaster at Peoples Park in Zhengzhou which suddenly went SBNO in 2022 after 24 years of service. This was at the time the oldest operating looping coaster in China and I had long used it as an argument against the 20 year rule .

When it did close though It was reported here as "Reaching its Expiration"

"Yesterday, it was reported that many amusement facilities in Zhengzhou People's Park have been suspended. Amusement facilities such as Ferris wheels and roller coasters will cease operations after expiration to return them to the people. Netizens responded strongly to this. Many citizens also said, "Tears! Reluctant to let go, full of childhood memories."

In fact a quick look on the RCDB shows that now there isn't a single coaster in China that the DB rates as "Extreme" older than 20 years old.

The oldest operating looping coaster in China is currently this one in Inner Mongolia
closed3.jpg
This will reach its 20th birthday in September this year and I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

On a side note I came across something interesting while I was doing some research for the DB, i happened upon a video of the Shenlong Coaster at Nanning Zoo being ripped out. Nothing too unusual about that, Chinese Loop Screw coasters are ten a penny and often don't last long. I did a bit more searching to see if i could nail down a more precise closing date for the ride and came across this post.

closed1.jpg

An interesting tidbit that mentions that this specific model from MCC does in fact have a manafacturer dictated shelf life, In this case 15 years.
I did some due diligence and looked to see if there were any other rides of this particular model running after 15 years and came across the one at Xining Peoples Park that seemed to be running.

closed2.jpg

Ah...well scrap that (litterally) a very short search later showed it had also infact closed and been ripped out almost exactly on it's 15th birthday as well.

So it seems in the case of some Chinese built model's at least there is in fact a fairly strict expiration date on rides.

And it may well be the case for many models Nandaihe International Amusement Center in the North of China recently closed its 17 year old BSA Shuttle Loop and replaced it with an identical model for no obvious reason.

But that doesnt really confirm or deny the 20 years for every major coaster thing. Especially if they are western models. And double especially models of rides that have operated considerably longer elsewhere.

The first thing to note is that if the rule does exist it almost certainly doesn't apply to smaller rides. VR Coaster, the Vekoma Junior coaster in Shanghai has been happily running several hundred feet up in the air since 1996.

The problem is that it's really only been 20 years since major western rides really started appearing in China. Perhaps tellingly though the two earliest examples of that happening, both the Vekoma SLC and Vekoma Mine Train at Happy Valley Shenzhen closed almost exactly on their 20th Birthdays.

closed6.jpg

Dragon and Mine Train at Ocean Park in Hong Kong also both closed in 2022 (Both were well over 20 years old) but Hong Kong is a bit of a wildcard its possible they closed when new Chinese rules started coming into force over the last few years or its possible HK just has different rules. Perhaps tellingly though Hyperspace Mountain at Hong Kong Disneyland also reaches its 20th soon and Disney announced recently that it will close and be replaced this coming summer.

Mad/Crazy Cobra the Premier bowl coaster at Discovery Land is 26 years old which may well throw a spanner in the works, But its only been in China for 18 years. So Does this count or not? Do relocations into the country or refurbishments reset the clock?

The next Western ride to reach the big 20 will be Sky Car. The mini Intamin Rocket Coaster at Mysterious Island. Which will reach it's birthday in December 2025.

closed4.jpg

This is followed in 2026 in quick succession by the Intamin 10 Looper at Chimelong Paradise as well as the B&M Flying Coaster, Vekoma SLC and Mine Train at Happy Valley Beijing.

In short I have no idea if China really does have a 20 year rule for major coasters. Recent closures and evidence is starting to make me believe it might but it's China and parks often don't last that long anyway.

Either way come 2026 I think we might know for sure, with some fairly major rides hitting their 20th Birthdays in the next few years.

If you are planning a trip to China to get any of these, It might be wise to go sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Christian

Hyper Poster
If there really is a enforced service life restriction, I wonder if western manufacturers have built their Chinese coasters any different than their western counterparts to save cost?

Also, will these coasters be melted down or might they be relocated to other countries ones they are done in China?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Perhaps tellingly though Hyperspace Mountain at Hong Kong Disneyland also reaches its 20th soon and Disney announced recently that it will close and be replaced this coming summer.

Are you getting that mixed up with Tokyo?

On my very first visit to Ocean Kingdom, I saw an expiry date on some certificate on Parrot Coaster, the B&M wing coaster. My hard drive with my coaster photos is at work, but I'll see if I can find a picture of it on Monday.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Are you getting that mixed up with Tokyo?

On my very first visit to Ocean Kingdom, I saw an expiry date on some certificate on Parrot Coaster, the B&M wing coaster. My hard drive with my coaster photos is at work, but I'll see if I can find a picture of it on Monday.
I'm not. I'm basing it on the DB page so maybe Duane is?

cookie

Giga Poster
I'm not. I'm basing it on the DB page so maybe Duane is?
Duane got them mixed up. The July 31st closure date is for the Tokyo version, he just added it to the wrong entry.

Last edited:

Moyun

Roller Poster
I'm from China and I can tell you there isn't a policy that limits the length of a rollercoaster's service life. You can see that a looping coaster in Jinjiang Park operated from 1985 to 2017, which is much longer than 20 years.

Chimelong is planning a big change. Chimelong Paradise is going to be free to entry and many coasters will be moved to other Chimelong parks (maybe in Qingyuan). So the closure of Motorcoaster is a part of the renovation project, not bacause the service life limit.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Duane got them mixed up. The July 31st closure date is for the Tokyo version, he just added it to the wrong entry.
Ah then I apologise. Just looked at the dB page and noticed the closure notice. Shall be interesting to see if anything happens in next few years though.

I shall edit the original post to reflect it when I'm not lying in bed on my phone 😂

I'm from China and I can tell you there isn't a policy that limits the length of a rollercoaster's service life. You can see that a looping coaster in Jinjiang Park operated from 1985 to 2017, which is much longer than 20 years.

Chimelong is planning a big change. Chimelong Paradise is going to be free to entry and many coasters will be moved to other Chimelong parks (maybe in Qingyuan). So the closure of Motorcoaster is a part of the renovation project, not bacause the service life limit.
Did you actually read the post? It mentions that previously quite a few coasters previously operated for longer than 20 years. In-fact it mentions one that lasted even longer than the one at JinJiang park.

While it's difficult to prove a negative do you have evidence there isn't one now other than that previously coasters have operated longer,

One thing seems certain, coasters in China do seem to have a lower expected service life than anywhere else even if it's not an official policy. Don't think I've ever seen a B&M with an expected service life of just 15 years.

Absimilliard

Roller Poster
When I did some behind the scenes visits in China, I saw the hidden CSEI information plates. CSEI is the equivalent of TUI in China, in charge of inspecting and certifying rides among many other things.

The plate mentions ride height, number of trains and cars, manufacturer information and "lifespan". Lifespan for Falcon at Sunac Land Wuxi is listed at 20 years (15 years for trains).

The Shanghai Disneyland rides also have similar plates and when I did the backstage tour of TRON in Shanghai Disneyland in 2019, the plate also listed a lifespan of 20 years.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Great investigative reporting here @roomraider! The photo evidence is also fascinating @gavin.

While I would poo poo these types of findings and assumptions five years ago, the recent developments of Incredible Hulk retracking, Nemesis retracking, TT2, etc. definitely has me more bought in on "maybe these steel structures do have a finite lifespan."

Absimilliard

Roller Poster
Great investigative reporting here @roomraider! The photo evidence is also fascinating @gavin.

While I would poo poo these types of findings and assumptions five years ago, the recent developments of Incredible Hulk retracking, Nemesis retracking, TT2, etc. definitely has me more bought in on "maybe these steel structures do have a finite lifespan."

To add to that, I found a photo of the Falcon at Sunac Land Wuxi CSEI plate. It is seen on the left as the train leaves the station.

Falcon Sunac Land Wuxi ride plate.jpg

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
To add to that, I found a photo of the Falcon at Sunac Land Wuxi CSEI plate. It is seen on the left as the train leaves the station.

View attachment 29115
Thanks for that. Certainly lends some creedence to the theory.

Has anyone seen something similar on European or American rides of similar type?

As Duane pointed out to me, I hope this starts when the ride begins to operate or the 2 SBNO B&Ms at Hotgo Dreamworld are 9 years into a potential 20 year lifespan already :oops:

cookie

Giga Poster
The rule seems to have been put in place sometime after the opening of the Giant Inverted Boomerang at Jin Jiang Action Park in 2011, as a recommended lifespan isn't listed on the installation plaque:

Shanghai_CreditWhore_331.jpg

(from Theme Park Review)

Compare this with the installation plaque for Cloud Shuttle at Fantawild Wonderland, which states a 15-year lifespan (I'm not sure if they mean the trains or the entire structure):

vekoma.jpg
(from RCDB)

Last edited:

costar

Mega Poster
Interesting research. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese inspectors just take the 'easy route' and insist on ride closures after the design service life expires. But I'm fairly sure there's no 'policy'. It may interest you to know that the English translation of the Chinese standard GB/T 18159 2019 states "The [risk] assessment shall also be carried out for amusement rides of coaster category that need to be reconstructed and that continue to be used after the service life of the whole machine expires." So that, to me, suggests that the authorities would, in theory, be ok with a ride existing after it's design life.