What's new

Crazy Alpine Bobsleigh - Austria

Martyn B

CF Legend
Credit to Screamscape for spotting this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCkICXWdWI[/youtube]

If The Ultimate had an Austrian cousin, that would be it...

Looks brilliant! I love these things for some reason, I think it's because there's an extra degree of tension as you're pushing your own bravery...

I've only done one "major" one in Austria. I think it was something like three miles of track and three lanes. You could race against each other (this was a half tube fall off and friction burn yourself to death one), so it added a competitive element too.

The best bit though was that after the last corner, there was an airtime "drop". The track just dropped away and the sled would leap off it. It was probably only a matter of a few inches to be fair, but it feels massive :lol:

That is by far one of the best Alpine Bobsled's I've ever seen. It actually looks like it has more airtime then some GOOD coasters out there. I'd love to ride it.

Is it a credit? :p
What do the cars on these look like as if you're not strapped in in some way there's no way he could have stayed on on some of those corners.
Looks amazing though and would love to go on one. I remember seeing one on youtube that has themed tunnels with lights and smoke machines etc.

^He's also got this off-ride video showing the cars. You're strapped in with a seat belt.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA-k3G1F7k0[/youtube]

Really? Only a seatbelt? As Ollie has stated, it looks like you might fly off the car in those tight corners. Lateral Gs must be insane!

That doesn't look the safest ride in the world, but hell, I'd ride it just for the scenery. Absolutely beautiful.

Never been on an Alpine Coaster. Hoping to go to the Attitash one during the next couple of years.

^They either use the chairlifts, as they do in some of these places if the carts are lightweight, or they use a custom built lift hill.

Certainly looks crazy!But extremely fun at the same time...
But what happens if there's an avalanche?

What a perfect coaster for your back garden...shame we can't have something like this in the UK thanks to that **** called (excessive and ridiculous) health and safety!

CoasterCrazy said:
Certainly looks crazy!But extremely fun at the same time...
But what happens if there's an avalanche?
Well... nothing. I mean, it's attached to the rock underneath the snow, and that won't move during an avalanche. Also it's probably fairly near a lot of the pisted runs, which don't tend to suffer avalanches that regularaly. I really don't think avalanches are a problem for anything like this. ;)

Has anyone got an aerial picture of this as watching the video you lose orientation and which direction it's going. Will be interesting to see it's layout from atop down perspective.

OMG so much want!

I can't figure out how the cars stay upright though! And they bank too!

I really want to go there just to go on this a few hundred times lol

Slightly related, some YouTube people I subscribe to made this video on a similar ride, I love it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJ2hDn4IjY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

(did it post ok? Can't see it on my phone)

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

For those interested I drew over the track as best I could. It's pretty long although it seems more twisty in the video. It starts in the top left of this image and finishes bottom right (small bit cut off at the end but it's just a couple of small corners before the end).
scaled.php

Xpress said:
How the HELL do they get the cars back to the top??
The cars are dis-mounted from the track at the end of the run & you take them with you on the gondola (lift). When you get to the top, you get out of the gondola with your car & give it to the ride operator. He mounts it back on the track & off you go!

That's incredible, but I think I'd be terrified! I was scared enough on Steeplechase with the single rail track, let alone this! But it looks awesome and I'd definitely do it. Austria <3