What's new

Coasters with moments of utter insanity

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
What coasters have you ridden that maybe just have one or two bits that are just completely insane, possibly bearing on a bit too extreme, or just something that makes you think **** did that really just happen

I would say Tornado at Bakken, on that first turn at the top of the launch lift, that is just seriously crazy.

Re: RE: Coasters with moments of utter insanity

tomahawKSU said:
X2 after the pre drop to the brakes.

This.

Skyrush
I-305

El Toro's dive turn over the break run
Tatsu's overbanked turn off the mountain

Front row on any of the B&M dive machines during the hang time.

I can think of three coasters, all of which are made by Intamin!

1: The last spike of negative g's you get right before the pull out of the first drop on Skyrush. I believe this is the point where you experience (exceeds?) -2 g's, truley insane!

2: All of the low to the ground curves and twistiness between the drop end the trim on I305, I bet you won't even feel the same sensation of speed in a formula 1 car!!

3: The kink in the track after the lift hill/launch of Tornado at Bakken. I've gotten of this coaster a couple of times with huge bruises on my neck! And some of my friends refuse to ride it. I don't think it should be the intention of a coaster manufacturer to make a ride that decapitate people, that's what I would call "too extreme"!

I know it's not on many people's top ten lists anymore, but I think TTD's launch is worth acknowledging here.

Prowler between the second hill and the turnaround though, especially at night. That drop is always *just* longer than you expect, and then you just lose all control over your body for the next few seconds. And then at night the flash from the photo blinds you and it's that much darker, yummmm.

Also Beast's double helix, again especially at night, ideally in the front row. I love how the train slllooowwwllyyyy picks up speed and then BAM you just SLAM into the helix.

And then the first three elements of Leviathan. First drop is endless and perfect, and the speed from there on through the overbank and speed hill is totally relentless. There's no chance at all to catch your breath until the top of the hill overlooking the park entrance, like it hardly slows down at all from its top speed (or it doesn't feel like it does). I know a lot of enthusiasts don't really consider speed all that intense, but I do think it's fair to say the pacing of those three elements is quite remarkable, even if there's no spine-crushing g-force or 15-foot pop of ejector air.

I guess I305 makes the list by default, but I didn't find the ride that exceptionally intense, to be honest, just a bit uncomfortable after the drop and then a lot of fun, like a stretched-out Maverick.

Oh right also Maverick would be another default addition, from the first launch to the horseshoe roll.

The sideways airtime s-bends on Piraten (and any Mega-Lite by association) and the exit of Blue Fire's zero-g roll! <3

The first drop on Skyrush

Beast's double helix

RF II airtime hill over the bridge

Thunderhead's first turn

Outlaw Run's "Twist and Turn" (turn underneath the lift hill)

Iron Rattler's airtime hill headed into the tunnel

Tatsu Pretzel Loop

X2 in general

Looking over my list, I'd say the bigger "wow" moments were on wooden coasters. Steel coasters we expect to be wild and dialed up, but when a wooden coaster is able to operate at the same level on lower tech - that is where the magic happens.

Maverick's initial drop is just insane, the way it pulls you out of your seat as the coaster zips over the crest.

The drop on Oblivion, with specific mention to the moment you are released from the holding break. It's kind of the only "Oh ****" moment at any of the Merlin UK parks.