What's new

Apollo's Chariot Re-Creation

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
So basically you can "trace" the outline of geometric scene objects. Nice, but it doesn't seem to have the kind of spiral found on Apollo's helix. Thanks anyway. :)

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
No worries, I haven't forgotten about this. Indeed it's not coming along as fast as I'd like, but it's still making progress, slowly but surely. :)

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
The helix is a nightmare! By far the most time-consuming element and still it doesn't feel right to me.

Still working on this..

BBH

Giga Poster
Good to see you're still working on it and putting a lot of effort into it. I'm sure you'll get it right. :)

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
^ Thanks for your optimism and support, both this post and the one before.

I did end up getting it right, or at least figured out what the h*** was going on. No wonder it seemed impossible; I tried getting the helix to do something it's not supposed to do. :oops: Mystery solved though. :)

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Merry Christmas, again! It's been exactly one year since I first started this thread.

For this year's Christmas gift, I felt there were enough screenshots in editor mode; why not try some from the simulator? First, a few things:

• Sorry for pixelated images; my PC doesn't provide the best graphics. :oops:
• Okay so it's noticeable, lol - I (temporarily) removed the terrain to make way for later track adjustments. No worries, though! I still have the previous terrain saved in another file which now serves as a prototype for when I do the official terraforming.
• Lastly, thanks for no one rushing me on this or nagging about when it's going to be done.

Now on to some sample simulator screenshots:

1st drop.

11549278505_1a4c9ce7c8_b.jpg

1st drop pullout + banked hill in background.

11549317424_6ae04519df_b.jpg

3rd drop (banked descent).

11549413446_cf8f224c53_b.jpg

Helix exit.

11549412676_6d6eda2680_b.jpg

Down the length of the layout, left side.

11549428173_18ef77149e_b.jpg

Down the length of the layout, right side.

11549426553_f89ccdc9b2_b.jpg

Have a great Christmas!

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
^ Thanks. :) And yeah, I'm hoping there will be a way to import NL1 track files to NL2 if/when I decide to upgrade. But for these reasons..

• financial limitations
• deficient graphics card and outdated system performance
• simply because I'm used to NL1 editor and free-handing in this is still fun to me anyway

..I'll stick with the raw CAD of NL1 for now.

BBH

Giga Poster
NL1 tracks will still be compatible with NL2, so you can release the original version of the track and those of us who have decided to upgrade, regardless of your version of the software, will be able to ride the track in its full glory.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Free-handing the helix has always been a bitch. I think I've concluded that in order for it to be as good as I want it to be, it will probably have to be tooled. :-(

And even then, hell if I'll ever know the formula for it.

I don't plan on tooling this though. Are there any pointers as to how to make the best of free-handing NL helices? Or am I just going to have to accept the sloppiness of it and move on. Well here are a couple screenshots of the latest modifications:

13110989073_b2c6859e33_b.jpg

13110988803_d2c9b667a3_b.jpg

Does it look good? Don't be fooled - it still rides in a wavering manner and the drop out of the helix is awkward as hell and I can't figure out why.

So frustrated and, quite frankly really bummed out.

I'm satisfied with the rest of the ride, but this helix - omg.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
False alarm, thank God. I was starting to lose hope. But then a new idea hit me out of the blue yesterday. I tried it and it worked. :smile: