What's new

Immelmann - Dive Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Immelmann starts at the bottom and goes up, the dive loop starts at the top and goes down :)

Is there actually anything to suggest that they are official terms for the elements, or is it just **** that us goons have come up with? Becuase this:

htr4s91f82lc000cp5th2m.jpg

is the same as this:

19njbr25c9o11l028k000p.jpg

The term Immelmann has been around since the first World War 1 in the discussion of their Aerial Warfare and the dogfight manoeuvres. The actual manoeuvre is taken just how the element is on coasters too, a half loop, followed by a diving exit that levels back at at 0º (or close to it).

I don't actually know if manufacturers use it, (I'm sure they do, I'm sure it's in one of those interview at IAAPA with B&M), but it's been going since around 1918, or even before.

Quite often they're terms taken from aerial manoeuvres, though sometimes they were named by the coaster manufacturers.

An aileron roll for instance is the aerobatic version of a corkscrew- the actual movements you go through in both plane and coaster are identical.

This is then muddied by people referring to the B&M invert version as a "Wing Over". A wing over in aerobatics is a climb into a near stall, then dropping back the way you came flipping over at the top of the climb.

It's a good question as to who names these things. RCDB used to call the B&M Corkscrews on inverts a Wing Over, but I notice now they've changed it to Corkscrew. So maybe B&M did call it that and have changed over time? I honestly don't know.

An Immelmann is a very standard term for a half-loop and twist and was invented by a German fighter pilot (Max Immelmann) in WWI. He was famous for pushing the newly developed aircraft to their limits. So that's a term that has been around almost as long as a "loop".

The reverse of an Immelmann is actually a Split-S.
The best place to research the origins is on manufacturer's websites. Look at the product listings and often they have a list of elements too that they "officially" recognise.

I suspect the enthusiast terms are a mix of different manufacturer terms.

These are official terms created by the manufacturers and used by the parks.

Many inversion terms indeed are taken from the aviation that inspires them. Both the Dive Loop and Immelmann are standard fighter pilot maneuvers that are taught in flight school.

Immelmann loop is taken in this direction

^ Half Loop
< Twist downwards
OR
^ Half loop
> Twist downwards

The twist can be 90*, 45* or even 20* to the side, really any angle that's in between 10* and 90* lateral.

Dive loops are a bit different

^< Twist upwards in a 90* direction
\/ Half loop
OR
^> Twist upwards in a 90* direction
\/ Half loop.

Visual Explanation (easiest way to understand)
di_zps35482866.png

As you can see, A Dive loop is where the train literally "dives" down. An Immelmann is the same, just turn the train around and send it going in the opposite direction. They are both the same, its just the direction traveled that differs.

Both very similar and commonly confused with each other. Like barrel rolls & heart-line rolls, very similar but yet very different.

as a matter of curiosity, what would you say is the biggest difference between barrel rolls and heartline rolls?

Straight from Wikipedia:

In a heartline roll the center of the train rotates on one axis so the height of the average rider's heart never changes, whereas during an inline twist the train rotates around the track and there is usually little to no elevation difference in the track.

This picture below illustrates a heartline roll on the right, and a barrel roll/inline twist on the left. Barrel rolls have the track rotate a perfect 360 degrees, while a heartline roll has the rider perform a perfect 360 degrees.

690px-Herzlinie.svg.png

I would have said the image on the left is an inline, not a barrell roll. For some reason, I have always assumed that a barrell roll is more like the heartline roll pic...

I think I gained that assumption from RCT tbh...

On another note, it really annoys me when people call an inline twist, a zero-g roll!

D1993 said:
as a matter of curiosity, what would you say is the biggest difference between barrel rolls and heartline rolls?

A heartline roll centers around the passengers heartline. As you can tell in the below picture
Colossus-at-Thorpe-Park.jpg

An In-line roll just twists around itself, like a Twizzler.
IMG_0399.jpg

I used RCT3 to better compare the two.
rolls_zpsc2cf840f.png

(The one on top is the heartline roll, the other is the inline roll.)

We've answered the Immelmann/Dive Loop question and have even added inline twists vs. heartline rolls. Anything else posted would be beating a dead horse.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.