What's new

CF Coaster Tournament VIII

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
CF Coaster Tournament is back for the 8th consecutive year!

Almost nothing will be changing this year from the previous few years except for one thing. That is, for the first round (and maybe more) there will be 8 matches a day, instead of just 4. This will speed up the tournament a little bit, so we don't drag on for two months anymore. If the 8 seems to work well, I may do that for the next round as well.

Seeding is almost entirely based on the coasters performance in the previous years tournament. If a coaster won in the first round last year, it automatically qualifies for the tournament this year. That will be the same for next year for first round winners this year. Don't get too caught up in seeding if you think a coaster is too high, or too low. (Especially with new coasters.) With that said, even 1 vote for a losing coaster can affect its seeding for the next year.

Rules
1. Only vote once per matchup. (You can vote even if you have not ridden the coasters!)
2. Place your votes at the top of your post, followed by at least one line space if you would like to leave comments.
3. Place your votes in order of the matches presented.

Tiebreaker
Tiebreakers will work the same as the past few years. For the first tie of the tournament, whoever the first person to post in the topic voted for will be the tiebreaker. Then, the second tie to the second person to post, etc. throughout the tournament.

Additional Info
1. Anyone who accidentally votes twice for one matchup, and non for another, will have no votes counted in either matchup. (This happens a few times a year.)
2. If you vote by the seed number, and submit a number that is not even competing, I will use my judgement as to what you were trying to vote for. If it is not clear, it will not be counted. (Typically I can tell because of how people vote in order.)
3. The brackets will say "Game #" and in the topic title I am changing that to "Match #s" so don't be confused by that.
4. Clones are becoming harder and harder to determine how to place in the tournament. Only Batman the Ride clones are grouped this year, but there is a possibility in future years of grouping cloned Dive Machines, blue fire layouts, and more, if people would prefer it.
5. Clicking on the name of the coaster in the bracket will link you to a POV or the coaster's RCDB page. If you notice an error let me know. (For the first round they will be added as coasters are up to compete as it takes a while to do all 128 at one time.)
6. I will post matches in the "This VERSUS That" sub forum, unless a separate sub forum gets created to prevent clogging. (Whatever the mods prefer!)
7. Voting scores will appear in every matchup on the bracket as well.

Past Winners
2007: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2008: T Express, Everland
2009: Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
2010: Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
2011: Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
2012: El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
2013: Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City

Looking to start voting on Tuesday, July 15. Voting will take place from midnight-midnight eastern time (US). If I do not close off voting, technically it is still open to vote. Also, please don't post the next one if I am late, unless messaging me first. As it is hard to be here every day for as long as this goes, if a day or two goes by without voting don't panic! I know already I will be out of town in early August for a few days, so look for that to be a time where I potentially miss some days.

Any additional comments, or suggestions throughout the tournament please post them in here, I am always looking to improve it for future years.

Brackets can be found here: http://www.bracketmaker.com/tlist.cfm?tid=454885

Looking forward to the new tournament. I plan to do a write-in ballot for River King Mine Train each round. :wink:

Ah, Tournament season. Love love love it.

That means it's almost time for me to start setting up for the Park Tournament. I might do it a bit earlier this year rather than October.

tribar said:
I still find it amazing how a steel coaster hasn't won this yet

I hadn't actually noticed this. I think its because there isn't really a generally very highly regarded steel coaster that doesn't get at least a tiny bit of criticism from some people (i.e. Bizarro, EGF etc). Whereas 'everybody' loves El Toro and Outlaw Run.

I am tempted to say that Helix may be in with a chance. I don't know the general consensus from those who've actually ridden it, but it's definitely the best new steel coaster that I've ridden this year and its layout is certainly very diverse and impressive.

Obviously Black Mamba should win <3 :--D, but I don't have the best hope :cry:

It shouldn't be too surprising, as the Mitch Hawker Poll has had "Favorite Wooden Coaster" come in first for a number of years.

TilySlo said:
Why isn't Karacho there?
Made an adjustment it's in there now! Most of you probably won't even notice the changes, but sorry to the one of you who had filled out a prediction prior to that... You may need to edit it if it lets you.

Speaking of which, if you'd like to do a prediction (and are willing to make a BracketMaker account) you can do so on the bracket, but never done much with it beyond just for fun.

BBH said:
That means it's almost time for me to start setting up for the Park Tournament. I might do it a bit earlier this year rather than October.

Obviously you're free to set up the park tournament whenever you want, but I'd recommend doing it in late winter/early spring instead of the fall. I think it would be better to have 1 tournament every six months rather than 2 back to back.

Hey, do you need some help with organising the tournament? :)
I'll have plenty of time on my hands in the following 3 weeks and I'd be glad to offer some help if you need any.

Sorry everything took so long! I had account troubles and for some reason couldn't login to my account for the last few weeks. Thanks to Ian for trying to help out with getting that figured out as well.

In terms of subforum, that is entirely up to the mods/admins if they decide to create one or not. For now, try and check the This versus That forum.

^ TilySlo thanks for the offer! At the moment now that I can get back into my account I think everything is good to go. Usually it's just creating the brackets that takes all my time, once it actually starts as long as I can get on everyday it doesn't take too long. I will let you know if I do need you at any point though!

^ I can guess that! :) Glad that you've now sorted out the problems and the tournament is now back up and running.

How did TTD manage to knock out blue fire? Wasn't it the first tiebreaker of this year's tournament?

No, the Superman Escape vs Nefeskesen was also a tie. I'm more surprised with the fact that a one trick pony managed to get as many votes as a much more complete coaster, but that's a different discussion :p .

With round 2 coming to a close today, I'd like to suggest that all clones be grouped together, not just Batman. In round 2 alone, there are 4 mega-lites and 2 blue fires, many of which will be advancing to the third round. This basically means that 4 of the 64 coasters in round 2 were redundant. I think they should be grouped together in future tournaments just to increase the diversity of the rides.

Hobbes said:
With round 2 coming to a close today, I'd like to suggest that all clones be grouped together, not just Batman. In round 2 alone, there are 4 mega-lites and 2 blue fires, many of which will be advancing to the third round. This basically means that 4 of the 64 coasters in round 2 were redundant. I think they should be grouped together in future tournaments just to increase the diversity of the rides.

I have to agree with Hobbes, but regardless Valleyfair puts on a very well organised tournament that works pretty much as good as it could do, so this is just a little improvement that could make it even better.

In regards to the blue fire vs TTD, I'm not actually surprised it was a tie because even though TTD will be a lot more extreme and intense than blue fire, despite the fact it lacks blue fire's length and range of features.

I actually found the Superman vs Nefeskesen much more surprising. I know like nobody's been on Nefeskesen, but it think is has got a more interesting layout and it has LAP BARS!!!!! To me Superman: Escape just looks like a glorified Rita.

4. Clones are becoming harder and harder to determine how to place in the tournament. Only Batman the Ride clones are grouped this year, but there is a possibility in future years of grouping cloned Dive Machines, blue fire layouts, and more, if people would prefer it.
I mentioned it from the beginning, but next year I'll start grouping more and more together as that seems to be the popular consensus.

As for the ties, TTD did get it based off being the second tie of the tournament, and the second person to vote (GuyWithAStick I believe) became the deciding vote. For years I've been open to suggestions of a better tiebreaker system, but haven't gotten any ideas. It's a step up speed wise from how we used to do it in the first couple years where the poll would just stay open another day, or the first person to vote again would decide it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm always trying to make it better each year!