What's new

Gerstlauer for Pleasureland Southport?

Will

Strata Poster
It doesn't look the most joyous of rides, but personally, I'd be thrilled to see a thrill coaster that isn't a rickety old looper/spinning mouse open on the British coast.

I have my reservations though - asking for planning permission is a long way apart from actually getting built and seeing how the old Pleasureland site has been operated post-2006 and how much they've struggled to keep their existing lineup in consistent operation in recent years, I've really got my doubts about that finding the cash to make this reality.

At any rate, I won't be rushing to ride if they keep up this £25 entry business!

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
You lot can be a bunch of wimps when it comes to roughness tbf 😋

I spent years dreading my first SLC after years of reading horror stories on here and came off my first one with barely a hair out of place. Either that or I'm still in the coma it threw me into.

Have never bothered with Southport but I'll definitely be combining it with my next trip to Blackpool (the true English Riviera 😉) if this coaster happens!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The way I see it, the problem isn't so much that the coaster is painful. It's that practically every other alternative on the same scale would be a better experience. Of all the models and manufacturers they could have gone for, they picked the second worst by the very worst.

Justin2000

Mega Poster
The way I see it, the problem isn't so much that the coaster is painful. It's that practically every other alternative on the same scale would be a better experience. Of all the models and manufacturers they could have gone for, they picked the second worst by the very worst.

Wouldn't the Worst be a Cool & Fresh?

tynemouthsurfer

Roller Poster

I spent years dreading my first SLC after years of reading horror stories on here and came off my first one with barely a hair out of place. Either that or I'm still in the coma it threw me into.

Have never bothered with Southport but I'll definitely be combining it with my next trip to Blackpool (the true English Riviera 😉) if this coaster happens!
Agreed the only Volare I’ve ridden (Hero) I found rubbish but not rough or painful.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Great news; providing this coaster has the new Lightning trains, I am genuinely looking forward to it. SPL is only a half-hour bus ride from my uni, so I will try and provide some construction updates. Anyone know when this is likely to open? Next year, 2023 or even further into the future?

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
As far as I know the owner has the best intentions for the place, a new temporary ferris-wheel has been installed for next season which is good news, By the looks of things the looper will be going and sold before this happens, Sefton Council have 100% backing of most things that happens here nowadays but will interesting if Southport do actually get turned back to West Lancs like what some plan if the same financial backing would be applied. But hey can't be to confident, knightmare totally happened didn't it!

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
Yep it certainly is nice, I don't understand why people hate Sefton Council so much here there's been considerable investment to make it still the far nicer town compared to blackpool or Rhyl this will provide a massive boost for the town even if it isn't a coaster enthusiasts favourite it's impact for the general public will be great if it goes ahead, maybe one day it'll return to pre Amandas wrecking ball days

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Unsure where he's getting it from, but Duane's listed the coaster development for 2024, but stated that it WON'T be a Zamperla Thunderbolt as per manager Normal Wallis... with that model obsolete, my bet is Lightning;

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
There was a presentation the other day in which the park is looking to rebrand as Port of Adventure, not sure about the timeline; https://www.qlocal.co.uk/southport/...nt__and_Future___And_a_New_Name!-55059557.htm
Fe5WCOzaAAA7Be_.jpeg

Looks like RCDB has also listed their Zyklon as having closed this year, anybody know what's up with that?

Niles

Giga Poster
This year Southport have announced a £4.7 million investment with there new land "Discovery Bay", set to open in spring.

1.PNG

The new 67,000 sq ft area will feature six new rides and a themed outdoor festival space.

"Discovery Bay will introduce six rides, including two thrill rides and a large family ride, within what the park describes as a “retro-futuristic styled” land. Guests will also be able to enjoy the outdoor festival venue, which will hold up to 3,000 people."

Source
Source

Nice to see after the big wheel and adventure golf more attractions coming to the park, still though from recent videos I cannot see much happening with where the coaster is set to go, I wonder if its still going to happen 🤔 at least for 2024.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Had a snoop a couple of weeks ago now that it has gone back to free entry.
The new area is on the old zoo site, to the north east of the current park.
The owner is trying hard, but it is little more than a travelling fair, lots of flats, sheds, fences, food stalls and decking.
No sign at all of any new big coasters of any type, the one real cred was not worth a band.
Edit...the one (small) real coaster is closed for "redevelopment".
Says it all.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
According to a post by Norman Wallis in the Stand Up for Southport Facebook group, this coaster is now being manufactured by Gerstlauer: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/southport-pleasureland.2929/page-15#post-457356

This post showed a layout rendering. The layout looks pretty similar to that of a Zamperla Thunderbolt, but Gerstlauer’s take on it.

This should be an interesting ride! Looking at Southport’s current coaster lineup, a Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter or Infinity Coaster should be a big upgrade on anything they currently have!

Last edited: