What's new

Your Top Five Coasters in New York State?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
My top five are all small, mostly older woodies. Surprisingly nothing from Darien Lake makes my top five, although I suppose Ride of Steel might be close competition for number five.

1. Silver Comet — Fantasy Island
2. Comet — Great Escape
3. Cyclone — Coney Island
4. Dragon Coaster — Rye Playland
5. Jack Rabbit — Seabreeze

Edward M

Strata Poster
I have a list, but they're all from Coney Island. It's pretty boring.
  1. Cyclone
  2. Thunderbolt
  3. The Horse One
  4. The Tickler, only remember it because it's called the tickler. Keep your kids off that ride
  5. The Volare I guess

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I have a list, but they're all from Coney Island. It's pretty boring.
  1. Cyclone
  2. Thunderbolt
  3. The Horse One
  4. The Tickler, only remember it because it's called the tickler. Keep your kids off that ride
  5. The Volare I guess
The horse one is called Steeplechase, which is a bit confusing as that was the name of a classic Coney Island ride of the past. As was The Thunderbolt.

I found The Thunderbolt to be a fun ride, and about on a par with Tantrum.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I've done a large portion of the Coasters in the state and in no particular order I'd say:

Comet - The Great Escape
(Superman) Ride of Steel - (SF)Darien Lake
Silver Comer- Fantasy Island
Jack Rabbit - Seabreeze
and my personal favorite (completely and totally biased) Bobsleds - Seabreeze

New York really is lacking in Major/Quality coasters. Maybe SF can fix that by adding an RMC or two to Darien Lake.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Of the *47* New York credits I have.... uh...

1/2. Silver Comet - Fantasy Island
2/1. Comet - Great Escape
Both are pretty much my top in the state... but I've been on Silver Comet a bit more recently... so I'll give it the nod, for now (both were in my top 10 overall for a while!)

3 Ride of Steel - Darine Lake
4 Bobsled - Seabreeze - Soooo underrated, so much fun.
5 Dragon Coaster - Rye Playland

Hope to add Moto and Tantrum next summer... but I doubt either will place top 5, haha. There are 6 other coasters in the state I've yet to ride, all a kiddie rides, and.. I've seen 4 of them in person but was either denied (Rye kiddie wood, Kids n Action, Bear Traxxx) or the ride was closed (Luna Circus kiddie)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Not a fan of the Cyclone, CanobieFan?

And I agree with you both that the Seabreeze Bobsled ride is a fun coaster. I just love its oddness — someone who wanted to imitate a little of the Matterhorn with no budget for the mountain.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
haha, Coney Island Cyclone? No thanks. I almost always give it the pity ride when I'm int he area... but I'm not a fan.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Can I instead count the number of New York parks I have purposely driven past?