What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

Dan Nguyen

Roller Poster
•SAW: The Ride is actually a really good ride with excellent theming, a great main drop and a surprising amount of ejector airtime and I have never found it to be as rough as people claim.

People rag on Saw? It was good when I rode it. Probably the best of the (3) Gerst coasters I've ridden so far. Not really saying that much considering all 3 are pretty middle of the road coasters.

I don't really get the hype Gerstlauer coasters get though, They're fun rides but they look a helluva lot better than they ride. Saw, Anubis, and Daredevil all seem to ride pretty much the same way with the same forces. And the forces aren't really that special to begin with.

thepoweroften

Roller Poster
My terribly unpopular Thorpe opinion is that I miss X:\No Way Out. I think TWD:TR is good fun and an improvement on X at least and I know that from a wider standpoint than my own nostalgia something had to be done but I miss the absolute NONSENSE of the way this ride was themed & marketed when I originally rode it. “The world’s first backwards in the dark rollercoaster”? What a strange flex! Please, tell me more! The whole ride was like a really bad and underwhelming acid trip. Like yeah it makes more sense now and it’s probably a better ride by almost every legitimate standpoint but I sort of miss how it absolutely didn’t make sense before. It was hysterical. Like yes I know it was themed around a computer virus yadda yadda but there was still no obvious story to it, it was just an absolute clutching at straws “””unique””” attraction and it was kind of ugly and out of place and oh, I miss it so. I even miss saying “let’s go on X Colon Backslash No Way Out” out loud. It was just pointless and weird for years after the earliest original theming was taken away and I still adored it. My head says it’s better this way but my heart says...put it back. (Or should I say put it blackwards).

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Mamba (Worlds of Fun) is better than Magnum XL-200.
There, I said it.

Walibi belgium is an awesome park - good ride line-up, great food and lovely landscaping

Where does one find this great food of which you speak? I had crappy sausage & chips when I was there... but otherwise yeah, decent park actually. Pulsar is brilliant. Psyke Underground, the woodie and the mine train are all solid, even the SLC is one of the better ones out there. Yep I agree, might even go again one day (did someone say new hyper?).

Matt N

CF Legend
Mamba (Worlds of Fun) is better than Magnum XL-200.
There, I said it.
Out of interest, how does Magnum actually compare to other hypers? Very interesting to hear you say this, as I've heard some very superlative-filled reviews for Magnum recently calling it the best hyper ever made!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Out of interest, how does Magnum actually compare to other hypers? Very interesting to hear you say this, as I've heard some very superlative-filled reviews for Magnum recently calling it the best hyper ever made!
I mean, that's just ridiculous, don't be silly.

Magnum is good fun, though. It has a pretty good layout, is reasonably smooth and does have some good pops of airtime. Is Mamba better? Eh, they're similar enough that I can't really pick a favourite. I suspect a lot of Magnum's notoriety is due to it being at Cedar Point, rather than Worlds of Fun.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I've heard some very superlative-filled reviews for Magnum recently calling it the best hyper ever made!

Was it Bickerton and the PBE crew by any chance? That guy sure loves his Arrows! :p

I found Magnum to be decidedly nondescript to be honest. Kudos for being the first hyper n'all, and it still rides ok-ish for its age, but it's not a great coaster.
Mamba isn't exactly a world beater either, but it's smoother than Magnum, the airtime is a bit floatier and there's an amazing sequence of head choppers on the helix that get closer, and closer, and closer...
I liked it a lot!

emoo

Hyper Poster
I was thrilled to bits to finally ride Magnum for the first time in 2018. It felt like I had nostalgia - that's now much it is hyped up so will have loads to live up anyone's preconceived notions. I liked it, great view, the weird Arrow moments you inevitably get. The rough edges help keep it spicy after all this time.

The Morgan hypers are smooth, perhaps a bit too gentle for the scale but enjoyable throughout and for all the family.

Matt N

CF Legend
Was it Bickerton and the PBE crew by any chance? That guy sure loves his Arrows! :p

I found Magnum to be decidedly nondescript to be honest. Kudos for being the first hyper n'all, and it still rides ok-ish for its age, but it's not a great coaster.
Mamba isn't exactly a world beater either, but it's smoother than Magnum, the airtime is a bit floatier and there's an amazing sequence of head choppers on the helix that get closer, and closer, and closer...
I liked it a lot!
Yes, it was the PBE crew who rated Magnum incredibly highly. Having said that, they do certainly seem to be hardcore Arrow enthusiasts, as they also proclaimed Vortex to be their favourite ride at Kings Island when I've heard other people really hate it!

Interesting to see you didn't love it like everyone else seems to. I've only experienced the Big One, and I kind of imagine Magnum to ride like that but with more airtime. I'd imagine it's quite rough if the Big One is anything to go by...

Although having said that, the layout looks reasonably good, and Magnum gets rave reviews, whereas the Big One... not so much.

Out of interest, on another uncommon opinion; am I the only enthusiast who isn't an "Arrow enthusiast"? I appreciate their rides and what they did for the industry, but I wouldn't say I enjoy them as much as a modern steel coaster, whereas everyone else seems to love Arrow coasters. Am I alone?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
they also proclaimed Vortex to be their favourite ride at Kings Island when I've heard other people really hate it!
That just proves their heads aren't screwed on properly. :p

Out of interest, on another uncommon opinion; am I the only enthusiast who isn't an "Arrow enthusiast"? I appreciate their rides and what they did for the industry, but I wouldn't say I enjoy them as much as a modern steel coaster, whereas everyone else seems to love Arrow coasters. Am I alone?
I definitely don't LOVE them as you put it. I appreciate them for what they were at the time, and how they inspired the industry to develop, but they're by no means a favourite manufacturer of mine.

emoo

Hyper Poster
I'm enthused to ride any new Arrow coaster. The UK Arrow scene is limited and the rest of Europe only has one. So for a long time I had been on so few. Its fascinating to experience what used to be the best coasters available, plus the history etc.

As for actually liking them that's a mixed bag. I rarely enjoy the multi-loopers but the mine trains are decent and swinging inverts are great. then Then is Vortex, I thought it was good (looks great), other people don't, but of course its not the best at KI outside of any bias.

Matt N

CF Legend
I definitely don't LOVE them as you put it. I appreciate them for what they were at the time, and how they inspired the industry to develop, but they're by no means a favourite manufacturer of mine.
I think I'm about the same as you in terms of Arrow enthusiasm level @Hixee. I appreciate what their rides did for the industry and how they paved the way for newer rides, but I definitely don't enjoy their rides as much as their modern equivalents. For example, I definitely prefer every other coaster I've done over 200ft (so Mako, SheiKra and Stealth) to the Big One, but that's fair enough because I appreciate the Big One for what it did for the UK industry, even though I'm not a fan of the actual ride.

The sort of Arrow enthusiast I was referring to is the sort who really anticipates riding an Arrow coaster and really rates the ride experience when they come off. For example, the PBE crew seem to be major Arrow fans, and Shawn from TPW has declared himself an "Arrow enthusiast" before (he is another one who declared Vortex among his favourite KI coasters).

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting, but after Thorpe today, I have a new uncommon opinion (please don't kill me!):

I like The Swarm more than Nemesis.

Matt N

CF Legend
We can't be friends anymore. :( :( :(
Sorry... I just found Swarm to have the right amount of forces for me, and it was just so fun and rerideable! I admit that Nemesis may be a touch more intense, but I find The Swarm more fun, and for me, fun wins.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Sorry... I just found Swarm to have the right amount of forces for me, and it was just so fun and rerideable! I admit that Nemesis may be a touch more intense, but I find The Swarm more fun, and for me, fun wins.

No good you saying sorry, not this time pal. You are hereby demoted to GP, effective immediately, and sentenced to marathon Nemesis, front row right hand seat, until you see the error of your ways.
;)

Matt N

CF Legend
No good you saying sorry, not this time pal. You are hereby demoted to GP, effective immediately, and sentenced to marathon Nemesis, front row right hand seat, until you see the error of your ways.
;)
I would happily marathon Nemesis front row; it's my favourite Nemesis seat!

Also, surely we can both agree on preferring Nemesis over Inferno?

Last edited:

astead04

Roller Poster
Sorry for double posting, but after Thorpe today, I have a new uncommon opinion (please don't kill me!):

I like The Swarm more than Nemesis.
...ELECTRIC CHAIR *gavel*

However a B&M I do perceive to be better than Nemesis is Dragon Khan because it has almost everything that makes Nemesis good except for the terrain interactions, and it's twice as long