What's new

Your Favourite Song/Album/Band?

Kebab

Giga Poster
Must admit, kind of got inspired by the 'guitar solo' topic for this one.

So basically, what is your favourite song, album and band (can be all in one example if you like) of all time.

My favourite Song: It took me a while to catch onto this song, being a fan of Porcupine Tree I was slightly under-whelmed on my first listen. But it's a song I can't stop playing, and over-time it's become one of the most magnificent pieces of art in music history. The video helped a lot mind, really gets you thinking about life. Honestly changed my life in certain moments. Outstanding.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEWlSTQ1RI&ob=av2e[/youtube]

My favourite album: This was a very difficult decision, but I had to come to terms with myself and ask, what album has struck me the most in my life... Then it clicked! Scenes From A Memory, the album that made me buy every other Dream Theater album, even after all of them, none lived up to it. It's absolutely incredible, it holds the most impressive guitar, drum, and bass-work out of everything I own. All told in a story. Here's how the album opens up (if this doesn't persuade you to buy it, don't know what will...)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOQqxQJkSDU[/youtube]

My Favourite Band: Now I had to think which band had introduced me to a wider, broader range of bands and genres. And I must admit, back in the time I was living off of MTV and the radio, it wasn't until I discovered Coheed and Cambria that it brought me deeper into the realms of Prog Rock and Metal. They're such a unique band and to this day I've never heard anyone like them, they're absolutely fantastic! Shame there latter albums don't hold up to the first three...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7OpE_hZ1Yk[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's always so difficult to pick a favourite song, as what you consider to be great is often defined by the mood your in, or the location/environment you're in.

I love NIN's Closer on the dance floor, but to listen to to as mood music for getting laid? Probably not the best choice ;) I do think that The Rolling Stone's Paint it Black is possibly one of the best songs ever though...

However, albums are a little easier I find, as the whole 30-90 minutes (or whatever) of mix of stuff gives you an overall average that's easier to work with.

For that, as much as it galls me to be so obvious, is Dark side of the Moon. It's an album I just love almost every moment of (except bloody Money, which destroys the flow). It's so lovely and mellow to start with, a great expansion on Floyd's earlier works (I love both Meddle and Atom Heart Mother); then onto a crashing, heartfelt and sublime final three songs that propel the album to greatness. It's an album I've loved for so many years and never tire of. It's also an album that has to be listened to as a whole, taking out individual songs just doesn't work. I like them individually, but none stands alone as being great, they have to be in context, which again makes it work so well as an album.

As much time as I have for Pink Floyd, and I love almost all their stuff, they're not my "favourite band". I think they were superb at one time, but their moment has passed and Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell are pretty indistinguishable. The Final Cut is also dreadful, plus the early Barrett stuff is too away with the fairies.

So, my choice would have to be Depeche Mode. They were certainly "in the game" when they started, being one of the top early synth pop bands around, but they have developed as they've gone along, mutated and changed to become something else. You never quite know what to expect from one of their new albums, and although you've always got Dave Gahan's fantastic vocals fronting them, each album is significantly different in style, context and feel.

The one thing that's most significant is that they've been producing albums since the late 70's regularly. Over 30 years and it's rare you'll find a Depeche Mode fan who will be unhappy with any album. They have stronger albums than others, but even on the weaker albums, you'll find at least one or two stand out tracks which are excellent. It's the way they have managed to never miss a beat over a massively long time period, and still fill huge arenas when they do their (excellent) live tours.

They aren't a trendy, flash in the pan band where people "prefer their older good stuff" or anything. They're consistent and talented and a band I never "skip" on the iPod.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
A difficult question to answer but I'm going with

The Libertines - Up The Bracket

LibertinesUpTheBracket600Gb100511.jpg

Brilliant songs, lyrics and Mick Jones did an excellent job with producing it. It's littered with mistakes bum notes and slightly off key harmonies. I've played this to death for the last 2 years. My favourite band as well.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Black by Pearl Jam is up there for greatest song, but there's also things like God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols and Guns N' Roses' It's So Easy.

The Stones Roses debut is probably my favourite album at the minute. The melody and simultaneous atmosphere is like nothing else ever made.

Deep Purple and the Rolling Stones frequently battle it out for my favourite band, they're the two that are the most exciting for me, but Blur is the one whose members I idolise as icons of style and personality.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdLTC9Wb_74[/youtube]

Because I have no life...

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Favourite Song: This tends to changes pretty often depending on whats new and what I'm listening to most often.

As of now I'd say Temperature Rising by the Audition

Favourite Album: Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny (pretty much a no brainier for me)

Favourite Band: Five Finger Death Punch

Ivan Moody sings like God's thunder he is unbelievable

Xpress

Strata Poster
I have mood swings when it comes to music...

Right now it's Foo Fighters Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace- The Pretender

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony (Urban Hymns Track No. 1)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyu1KKwC74[/youtube]

Alternative rock is my favourite genre and I love The Verve. I listen to a selection of The Verve's songs every day, they are, in my opinion, the greatest band of all time. Some other of my favourite 'Verve' songs include:

Come On (Urban Hymns Track No. 13)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbGATIHKZUc[/youtube]

Rather Be (Forth Track No. 3)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3udfFdVFDAc[/youtube]

And some more of their best songs are Love is Noise (Forth Track No. 2), Lucky Man (Urban Hymns Track No. 9) and This is Music (A Northern Soul Track No. 2). In fact, all of their songs are awe-inspiring pieces of music, as well as Richard Ashcroft's solo music, including 'Check The Meaning':
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krsa0AYwhdU[/youtube]

Yeah, so that's what you need to know if you ever wonder what kind of music I like! ;)

jayjay

Giga Poster
All of mine change frequently, but at the moment,

Favourite band: Radiohead. Some of it is horribly depressing, but if you look past the "it's depressing" way of looking at things, there's some beautiful stuff, some epic rocking and generally well-written music.

Favourite album: Can't decide between "On an Island" (David Gilmour aka ex Pink Floyd guitarist) and "Helplessness Blues" (Fleet Foxes). Both quite relaxed albums with some fantastic tracks.

Favourite song: Difficult, but I've got a thing for "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Lucky" (both Radiohead) at the moment.

RCF

Strata Poster
I have plenty of favorite songs, but to be honest it'd have to be something from Elton John or James Taylor. So I'm gonna say a tie between Tiny Dancer by Elton and Fire and Rain by Taylor. Both fantastic songs and I've found myself listening to them quite often recently, they're those kinds of artists that you can listen to at any time and you won't be bothered.

Favorite band though is and always will be Rush, with The Beatles and Avenged Sevenfold coming in a tie for second. I have been hooked on Rush since Rock band, and I think I'll never get tired of them. Definitely one of the people that loves Rush because honestly, anyone I met who knows of them either loves them or hates them. Never anything in the middle.

Favorite album will probably be Abbey Road from The Beatles or Moving Pictures from Rush. They're kinda on opposite sides of the spectrum, but I still love both of them and they battle each other for the top spot definitely

elephant58

Hyper Poster
TOP 5 BANDS

1) Oasis
2) Muse
3) Kasabian
4) The Beatles
5) Queen

TOP 5 ALBUMS

1) The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2) Gorillaz- Demon Days
3) Oasis- Definitely Maybe
4) Queen- Innuendo
5) The Chemical Brothers- Push the Button

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Song: What's My Age Again by Blink 182 Album: The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show Band: ZZ Top and Blink 182.

Yeah so I really think Blink 182 has a lot of great music. ZZ Top is equally as good IMO.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Definitely "Dance (A$$)" by Big Sean. The lyrical complexity and thematic depth are unmatched in today's pop music. A true landmark in the annals of hip-hop.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Bridge Over Troubled Water, possibly.

Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols, probably.

The Rolling Stones, certainly.

AquaTrax

Mega Poster
^ I listened to that song just about a month ago and I fell asleep it was so boring. :/

She's An Easy Llama by Phil Collins.