What's new

Your favourite "Disney rip-off" attraction?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Disney are quite arguably one of the main trailblazers within the theme park industry, with them having invented many of the most popular ride concepts over the years. Naturally, this high status has meant that other parks have tried building attractions that emulate Disney's classic rides, with mixed results. Rightly or wrongly, these attractions are often coined "Disney rip-offs", but sometimes, they can often emulate the success of the source material pretty accurately! So my question to you today is; what is your favourite "Disney rip-off"? When has an attraction trying to emulate a popular Disney attraction done it really well, in your opinion?

I'll get the ball rolling with my nomination.

Now, I'll admit that whether or not this one is a Disney emulator per se is up for debate, but my vote goes to Flight of the Sky Lion at Legoland Windsor for this one. Now, the reason I suggest this one is because me and my parents both agreed that it bears a pretty striking resemblance to Animal Kingdom's Flight of Passage in many regards; many of the vistas you travel through look incredibly similar to the ones on FoP, and it even uses very similar smells! I'd say that it arguably seems similar enough in these regards that I'm not sure it was a coincidence... however, I think Flight of the Sky Lion executes the concept really rather well, personally, and if it had a few little extras (mainly some kind of SFX-based reaction to things that happen on-screen, such as squirts of water or blasts of hot air, as well as possibly 3D glasses), I honestly think it would come pretty close to FoP for me, personally! (That's my opinion, anyway)

But what Disney emulating attraction is your favourite?

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
Probably Runaway Mountain at Six Flags Over Texas. It's very similar to Space Mountain, and it's a fun family coaster and has one demonic hairpin turn

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Piraten en Batavia. No contest. Even before the revamp I actually thought it better than Pirates of the Caribbean, but since it was renovated after the fire it's even better still. Beefed up sound and lighting, better animatronics and, of course, the Roland Mack Easter egg.
Brilliant ride!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Piraten en Batavia. No contest. Even before the revamp I actually thought it better than Pirates of the Caribbean, but since it was renovated after the fire it's even better still. Beefed up sound and lighting, better animatronics and, of course, the Roland Mack Easter egg.
Brilliant ride!
The first, and only, one that came to mind. Freaking love that ride. Especially that first drop - that's one of those "special ride moments" right there.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Definitely the new Piraten en Batavia..... now one of the best Dark rides in Europe outside actual Disneyland Paris.

Also a soft spot for Geisterschloss..... due to being old enough to remember Wicked witched haunt at Thorpe park!

oh and props too Colorado Adventure too.