What's new

Your favourite defunct roller coaster

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Have to be another for dragon challenge, always thought the Blackpool Wildmouse was overrated and the others I loved when i was younger have just been relocated

Snoo

The Legend
If Lightning Rod were ever removed, I can sense it would become the new Wild Mouse...

I mean considering how many who've been on it have felt about it, that may be amplified quite a bit as I don't know a lot of people who had WM as a #1 but moreso as a definite unique must ride.

Matt N

CF Legend
I mean considering how many who've been on it have felt about it, that may be amplified quite a bit as I don't know a lot of people who had WM as a #1 but moreso as a definite unique must ride.
Ah OK. Thanks @Snoo! Also, when you abbreviated Wild Mouse to WM, I thought you were referring to Wicker Man! Must be TowersStreet rubbing off on me!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Gonna have to go with the Duelling Dragons I'm afraid. Note I said Duelling Dragons, and not Dragon Challenge. I remember when these were new and amazing, when TV adverts for Universal showed the two coasters hurtling through their vertical loops in perfect unison. State of the art, they were. People were like: "They weigh the trains with the riders, and adjust the lift hills so the near misses are as near as possible?? No way? That is next-level sh*t, man."
That's what I miss about them, the amazing new-ness of it all. But once they stopped duelling, that was it, the USP was gone and they just became two average B&M inverts, similar to those in almost every other park in America.
When they were Potter-ised, that was it for me. Game over. Not interested. Can't stand the snivelling little dweeb.
So nah, I dont miss Dragon Challenge, but the Duelling Dragons in their heyday (while it lasted) really were quite special.

GeaugaLakeisAlive

Roller Poster
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but I made this thread because I was interested to know what you guys' favourite roller coasters that are no longer operating are. Most of us have an operating top coaster, but the defunct top coaster is one that's rarely talked about among enthusiasts, so I would be interested to know some of your opinions.

As for my favourite defunct roller coaster; I've only ridden the 2 Dragon Challenges at Islands of Adventure, so by default it would have to be one of those. And controversially, I think I'm going to pick Hungarian Horntail because I remember the two providing very similar experiences, but I seem to remember Hungarian Horntail being slightly less uncomfortable than Chinese Fireball.

I would be interested to hear some of your thoughts. I can already predict that a certain rodent-themed ride from Blackpool is going to pop up quite a lot...
Big Dipper at Geauga Lake: It's still standing and rotting away. This was one of my first coasters and I wish I could get one last ride in.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Corkscrew at Alton Towers.

Let's be honest... The actual ride was crap. But it was an absolute icon and a must do on every visit.

That area of the park isn't quite the same without the sound of that lifthill echoing around.

Link to said lift hill noise for a quick blast of nostalgia ...

_dezaster_

Roller Poster
Shockwave @ SFGA

I have no idea why I'm so infatuated with this ride but I really wish I could have ridden it.
Has anyone else?

Last edited:

sirloin

Roller Poster
Either one of the Dragon Challenge inverts for me. They were actually the only coasters I have ridden where I knew they were going away as I took my last laps on them. It was such a weird feeling. I know coasters are just machines, but they were great rides, and I was sad to see them go. I took a front row lap on each on a gray Sunday within a couple weeks of their closure, and it made for some of the best memories I've ever had on rides.

Conversely, I knew my one lap on Robin Hood this past summer was going to be the only lap I ever took on it, and I left wanting an application to be on the demolition crew, haha.