What's new

WTF Merlin?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
"Exhibition" isn't even a word I'd use to describe Madame Tussaud's.

Does make me think though, did anyone do the Dr Who experience and what did it ACTUALLY involve?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Joey said:
"Exhibition" isn't even a word I'd use to describe Madame Tussaud's.

Does make me think though, did anyone do the Dr Who experience and what did it ACTUALLY involve?
I think I went but I can't really remember it. I think there was a darlek voice conversion thing and some models. I've never been to MT so can't compare though and it was ages ago.

Also the Blade is now not going at all after all that. I am guessing that it wont be on the map though. It sounds pretty spur of the moment, unless it's a decoy for something else happening elsewhere. Weird.
Edit: Although I think it will be going at some point.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
did anyone do the Dr Who experience and what did it ACTUALLY involve?

Me! Pick ME!

I took MMF a couple of summers ago - it was a long wait and really expensive for the time in there but... We both really enjoyed it.

They had (have, it's still in Cardiff apparently) a series of interactive rooms. Some of them were actually pretty big.

The main Tardis console room was large and they picked certain kids to "man the controls" while there was footage of Matt Smith telling them what to do, lights, rumbling, etc.

Then it was was pretty much walking from scene to scene with a pause for the story to advance. The best scene was the Dalek one that scared the crap out of MMF when they appeared suddenly. It was after the Weeping Angels scene so nerves were a little frazzled.

Then there were "museum" pieces you could walk around at your own pace, looking at the costumes and props from the series. I reckon the "active scenes" lasted about 25-30 minutes. I think we spent about an hour there all told (that was the only reason for the trip to London, so it seems a bit extreme thinking about it :lol: )

Ben

CF Legend
I did the Doctor Who experience, I did a really in depth article but God knows where it is now.

It was fab, I really liked it.

This won't be.

Is it on the AP though?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Chessie opening without Fury, Bubbles, Vampire (which is apparently ****), Griffins and Rameses up front...

And apparently Skyway and Tomb are also both closed...

Good start then...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I don't understand how a park can open with so few rides open, they have a good few months to do maintenance and get the rides sorted.

#secondtodisney

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Hahahahaha, oh that has made my day.

Let's be honest. It was inevitable eventually, there's no way people play that game anywhere near as much as they used to before (isn't that an Ed Sheeran lyric?). They keep releasing new games and each one is getting fewer and fewer and fewer downloads. Rovio themselves are now starting to flog a dead horse and, as has been said 1000 times before, Merlin jumped on the bandwagon just too late. I propose the hashtag #OhMerlin.

spicy

Giga Poster
To be fair the area was done so cheaply I doubt they care. New Angry birds land was much easier to market and would have had a much wider appeal than 'New 4D Movie & Dodgems for 2014' would ever have had.

So the dying IP was worth it in the short term, which is the only thing Merlin seem to worry about

nadroJ

CF Legend
Anybody else see the recent FACEBOOK OUTRAGE the GP were having when most of Chessington's star attractions were down last week? As compensation they were offering a £10 return ticket...

After much rage they changed their minds and have decided to offer complimentary tickets instead, which is what they should have been offering from the start!

peep

CF Legend
I saw the rage (because it was totally understandable) but I didn't see the change from cheap tickets to complimentary ones. To have so many rides down clearly shows they should be keeping on top of keeping the rides in good condition the whole year round or, you know, replace old broken rides with brand new ones ;)

nadroJ

CF Legend
I have a theory that maybe a senior level of management was waiting for the go ahead to offer comp tickets to those affected, but in the meantime thought that the offer of a £10 return ticket would do?

Do Chessington not do the Bounce Back thing? Do any of the parks do that anymore or am I being old?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, they do offer cheap return tickets.

It is irritating when rides are closed for the day but that's the nature of the beast. I can understand the OUTRAGE when people have booked hotels etc weeks in advance. I wonder what percentage of visitors plan their trips weeks in advance and how many decide on the day/day before.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I would be more outraged that their idea of compensation was to offer the guests to pay them more money? That's just....no. And especially when a system like that is in place regardless of ride availability on the day makes it even worse.

One GP suggested that the park lower the height restrictions on some of the operating rides to compensate...

Dar

Hyper Poster
They must've known they weren't going to be able to open the rides before the morning though? Vampire is waiting for parts, so to say it's going to be shut on the day is a bit of a slap in the face. They could have generated a bit of goodwill by announcing the rides would be shut well in advance, so people could decide if they still wanted to come.

But goodwill isn't immediate cash, and that's all Merlin care about.