What's new

Would Austin or Houston make a great city for a theme park one day?

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
I know Houston is most likely to get a park being the fourth largest city in the United States but Austin is a rapidly fast growing city with lots of
potential and has a good economy. I know San Antonio isn’t far from Austin and I know residents can just drive an hour and a half to get to Six Flags and SeaWorld but what about a medium or small sized theme park in Austin? The city really hasn’t been looked at for future theme park use. But I don’t see why not. Maybe a park a little bigger than ZDT’s Amusement Park in Seguin can work just my thought what do you think? Cedar Fair just bought Schlitterbahn including the New Braunfels location in TX. So what if Cedar Fair built a park in Austin? Or Disney? Herschend? Palace Entertainment can look at both Houston & Austin for theme park land? Just your thoughts thanks!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I know Houston is most likely to get a park being the fourth largest city in the United States but Austin is a rapidly fast growing city with lots of
potential and has a good economy. I know San Antonio isn’t far from Austin and I know residents can just drive an hour and a half to get to Six Flags and SeaWorld but what about a medium or small sized theme park in Austin? The city really hasn’t been looked at for future theme park use. But I don’t see why not. Maybe a park a little bigger than ZDT’s Amusement Park in Seguin can work just my thought what do you think? Cedar Fair just bought Schlitterbahn including the New Braunfels location in TX. So what if Cedar Fair built a park in Austin? Or Disney? Herschend? Palace Entertainment can look at both Houston & Austin for theme park land? Just your thoughts thanks!
So, on the upcoming episode of The Drunk Riders podcast, we discuss the implications of SchlitterFair and what it means for Texas. Listen as there are quite a few of us who dig into it and it's fun.

To answer your question. Austin is a no. They are 3.5 hours to Dallas, and 1.5 hours to San Antonio, and 2.5 to Galveston, give or take. Yes, there is land, but it would be foolish to expect anyone to build a brand new theme park in Austin.

Houston has Grand Texas resort gearing up. Started as a campground with go karts, now you have the water park, next is the theme park. Or so they've saying for the past decade. They are doing the slow build, which is fine, but progress would be great. Ever since Astroworld was demolished right before the market crash in 08, they've been missing a park. Sure, Galveston has a few creds, but it isn't a full fledged park.

To touch a bit on Schlitterbahn here and not just be a whore, I would love to see what land CF now owns with this. Does it include the golf course that's right there? Because if that's the case, I fully expect them to say bye bitch and build a new park right there. Yes, SA parks are 45 mins away, but this would be flagship south to go after since Sux Flags doesn't sink money into the parks and it's ripe for the taking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I'm pretty doubtful that Cedar Fair or Six Flags would build a new, ground-up amusement park. For the former, the only park they have ever directly built was Cedar Point, and for the latter, there have been only 3; Six Flags Over Texas in 1961, Six Flags Over Georgia in 1967 and Six Flags St. Louis in 1971. It would be amazing to see this happen, though; the only possible way I see is if Six Flags/Cedar Fair managed the park but another company paid for the park's construction - pretty much what Six Flags' attempted endeavors into the ever-growing Chinese theme park market have been.

On the topic of Grand Texas, it looks very interesting. The relocated Greezed Lightnin' shuttle loop from Six Flags Astroworld, what appears to be a thrilling wooden coaster (I'm going to guess Gravity Group would manufacture this, based on the proposed overhead layout that I can't find as of this moment) as well as its large steel counterpart, and the family coaster or two also shown on the overhead layout have me excited for the possible coasters Grand Texas might receive. There were those rumors of an RMC wooden coaster coming to Grand Texas, but those came with the alleged 2016 opening date.

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
So you think Austin would make a bad location for a theme park I just think maybe a park the size of ZDT’s could work. The city has great music concerts, great college town, good place for Arts, just seems like a cool city to house a small theme park but I guess since it isn’t likely and impossible its a no go. The cedar fair purchase of schlitterbahn sounds exciting though and it makes me curious after they buy the 2 water parks are they done doing work in Texas? New Braunfels isn’t far from Austin so if a park went their it wouldn’t be that far.

Matt N

CF Legend
Apparently there is a theme park due to be built in Texas called Adventure Pointe, but I can't remember which city it was in...

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
So, on the upcoming episode of The Drunk Riders podcast, we discuss the implications of SchlitterFair and what it means for Texas. Listen as there are quite a few of us who dig into it and it's fun.

To answer your question. Austin is a no. They are 3.5 hours to Dallas, and 1.5 hours to San Antonio, and 2.5 to Galveston, give or take. Yes, there is land, but it would be foolish to expect anyone to build a brand new theme park in Austin.

Houston has Grand Texas resort gearing up. Started as a campground with go karts, now you have the water park, next is the theme park. Or so they've saying for the past decade. They are doing the slow build, which is fine, but progress would be great. Ever since Astroworld was demolished right before the market crash in 08, they've been missing a park. Sure, Galveston has a few creds, but it isn't a full fledged park.

To touch a bit on Schlitterbahn here and not just be a whore, I would love to see what land CF now owns with this. Does it include the golf course that's right there? Because if that's the case, I fully expect them to say bye bitch and build a new park right there. Yes, SA parks are 45 mins away, but this would be flagship south to go after since Sux Flags doesn't sink money into the parks and it's ripe for the taking.

Actually I just found out that Round Rock will be getting an indoor water park resort named Kalahari expected to open in late 2020 so maybe this will be Austin’s replacement of the closest water park but indoors until we see what they do with Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. It would be nice if they build a theme park in New Braunfels from Cedar a Fair and make another waterpark to go along with it. I hope it’s more likely than building a totally new ground up theme park close to Austin. Some other adventure park is supposed to be headed to Kalahari Indoor water park in Round Rock called Tom Foolery if anyone is familiar with that it’s suppose to house a spinning roller coaster so I guess that’s is Austin’s mini theme park.

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster

So when should we expect a new episode of the podcast to air sometime this week? I am interested to hear on what some of your guys opinions are like regarding the future of the two schlitterbahn water parks and what could they do with the land they have? If they were to add on with another theme park right next to the waterpark which location is more likely to get it? New Braunfels or Galveston? Again Houston is set on getting a new park with Grand Texas being scheduled to open next year or in 2021. But I go back to Austin it may sound like a terrible idea to bring a park their but again the city is rapidly growing the economy is great and it’s a great college sports town. That shouldn’t mean that the city has potential to house a theme park? Ok I understand if it doesn’t but a small park would be nice. Again they’re getting an indoor Kalahari waterpark resort in late 2020 so maybe that will suffice.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So when should we expect a new episode of the podcast to air sometime this week? I am interested to hear on what some of your guys opinions are like regarding the future of the two schlitterbahn water parks and what could they do with the land they have? If they were to add on with another theme park right next to the waterpark which location is more likely to get it? New Braunfels or Galveston? Again Houston is set on getting a new park with Grand Texas being scheduled to open next year or in 2021. But I go back to Austin it may sound like a terrible idea to bring a park their but again the city is rapidly growing the economy is great and it’s a great college sports town. That shouldn’t mean that the city has potential to house a theme park? Ok I understand if it doesn’t but a small park would be nice. Again they’re getting an indoor Kalahari waterpark resort in late 2020 so maybe that will suffice.
Episodes are released every Saturday, here's the link. I think we get to it at about 30 mins in, but it's sprinkled throughout.

https://soundcloud.com/thedrunkriders%2Fhagrid-likes-adventures-on-his-motorbike

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
What would it take for Austin to get a theme park and if they don’t since schlitterbahn new Braunfels is considered their local water park not too far away depending on what cedar fair does with the location could they possibly take out the hotel and golf course and turn it into a dry park? And make it a combined water park and theme park? I just think central Texas is ripe for a theme park.

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
Not to continue on with this subject I’m not sure if they bought the golf course yet in new braunfels but I just looked up something that Austin is the 11th largest city in the US larger than Orlando, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Indianapolis, San Francisco, Denver which has Elitch Gardens hearing it will close eventually not anytime soon, I found it shocking that Austin is larger than these cities and doesn’t have a park I know San Antonio being like an hour and 36 minutes away or 2 hours is the reason why they don’t have a park. Houston may get their park first but I think a park the size of Coney Island/Luna Park could suffice, I mean Austin is good with waterparks since schlitterbahn is considered very close to Austin, and they’ll get Kalahari, they have Typhoon Texas small waterpark too all I’m saying if the city continues to grow I think the city is ready for a dry park not to large and not to small medium sized perhaps.

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
I just think with the infrastructure and available land Austin has I’m just totally shocked that nothing has even been proposed or even in the beginning stages of being discussed to have a future theme park in the Austin metropolitan area. It’s pretty much a dead zone in central Texas. I hope it does change. You don’t see that many theme parks being built in the United States anymore. Not even small parks.