What's new

Worlds Highest Bungee Bridge Jump Report & Video

DDF14

Mega Poster
picture004ab.jpg

In the spring of 2009 I found myself on a 4 month tour of South Africa working on international cricket between SA and Australia followed by some IPL 20 20 action. As part of the Hawk-Eye team we had to travel in our own television truck which we got to drive all over the place. We decided on one such journey to find at the time "The Worlds Highest Bungee Bridge" Bloukrans Bridge.

We had a long drive ahead of us and so wanted to add the jump in to keep spirits high. I was travelling that day with Tim Barber and Michael Marchant who were intrested too. The drive took us over some huge bridges and as we got close to the area we saw a sign for Bungee jumping next left. We headed down the road a found ourselves looking at a huge bridge and little log cabin we went in and started speaking to a nice young lad running the place. We were so excited and yet awstruck by the size of the jump. I then asked "So is this really the highest bungee jump in the world" The guy laughed at us and said "no lads you need to head a further 20k down the main road this one is only half the size" .... We could not believe it we all looked pretty nervous but thanked the bloke and went on our way..

Sure enough 20k down the road we started driving over a monstrous bridge and soon saw the signs for the jump. We paid our money about £16 (Yep that cheap) and went through all the boring stuff needed. Harnessed and ready we were put into a group and then lead out to the bridge. Its a very nice walk and yet un-nerving by its surroundings and some shabby looking saftey signs.
n2224005163696236838700.jpg

img1736rx.jpg

The walk out to the bridge was late in the afternoon and the sun was starting to make its way down over the mountains casting beaming rays of light and sun through the cracks in the surrounding mountains and rock formations. To get to the arch of the bridge you walk on a flexi steel walk way. With a clear view down 700-800ft at some points below you this was by far the worst bit for me. Im quite a big lad and the metal flexes under every step out to the arch this was really crazy.
picture003kh.jpg

thecatwalk.jpg

img5260p.jpg

Out on to the arch was a control centre for the video / dvd editors and music / dj's working the place was pumping like a night club with this constant techno club beat going on all around. As we all got to know eachother the atmosphere turned to one of a party everyone having fun and a good time. All the guys working up there were great having plenty of fun and dancing around.
picture001ip.jpg

theedge.jpg

People seemed to be getting called at random for there jump I was nervous because I thought I was the biggest guy of the group and did not want to go first. Luckily there was a bigger lad than me who was called up first. The poor lad was terrified and was reluctant to jump at first but eventually we heard that horrible sound of 5,4,3,2,1, BUNGEE !!!! Then a terrible scream that seemed to soften as if it was a million miles down.
img0081qr.jpg

img2673k.jpg

I took this time to look around and enjoy the glorious views. One end of the gorge facing the opposite way to the bungee you could see te sea breaking into the bottom. The other view out to the mountains and forest ahead from the bungee position was simply breath taking. The sun was really working its way down and set the tone as my name and number were called.

Hooked up and attached I was now ready. Plenty of embarrassing nervous dancing and cheesey extreme poses for the camera. You are given a full interview with the jump instructor who calmly jokes and talks you through what is going on. "Ok stevie lets go do the worlds highest bungee jump"
Oh **** Oh **** im thinking in my head as I start to dance like a blooming fool / Bell End.
img0400r.jpg

img0401z.jpg

img0402g.jpg

Hopping into position helped by the guys your put on the edge with your feet halfway already over the drop. This is by far the worst bit of the jump. Trying to look cocky i continued dancing and admired the view infront looking up to the mountains infront quickly. UH OH dizzyness set in and i start falling backwards like a right pratt luckily the guys catch me and laugh........then.....
img0403ys.jpg

img0404dv.jpg

5.4.3.2.1. !!! BUNGEEEEEEE!!!

img0405jh.jpg

I lept forward as hard as i could all of a sudden at peace with what I was doing. The acceleration is unbelievable and the feeling of freedom supreme. Falling faster and faster there is no sensation that you are attached to anything just this sound of wind rushing past you and pure delight and ecstasy in the mind. It beats any tower ride, any first drop any sky dive just because its such a organice experience. You feel the decceleration smooth as silk no rel snap or pain just a smooth stop coming as you face gets just too close the rocky stream floor below. Then before you know it the acceleration begins again in the ooposite way by far the scariest part of the jump experience for me. I was hurtled back up towards the bridge with tremendos re-coil you think as you see the bridge coming to you fast that you might just hit itbut then the pace slows again. I was lucking being a big lad I got 4-5 drops for the price of one due to the recoil.
img0406rz.jpg

img0407pp.jpg

img0408rl.jpg

img0409dh.jpg

img0410sv.jpg

As you slow up you find yourself dangling still 500ft (or Kingda Ka) by your ankles blood is now getting into your head and out of your feet. This does give the feeling that you feet are slipping out of the bungee rope a quite terrifying feeling until my brain starts to realise that its just a lack of feeling still just to be sure I point my toes far forward and straighten my feet to feel more secure..
img0411qq.jpg

Then by suprise you feel a hand on your leg and a guy on a wires starts to do the business of getting you back up. I nearly **** my pants the moment he undone my feet and body second harness flicking you up the right way you feel like you have just snapped the damn thing. You soon zoom to the top to re-unite with everyone and have a post jump interview..
img0415ew.jpg

img0419mu.jpg

img0422ka.jpg

img0423s.jpg

img0424oh.jpg

I have done a few sky dives and other bungee jumps but this experience just kicked them all into touch. Just like a theme park or a ride it was better for me because of the emersive atmosphere and surroundings that it was in. The fact that it was a real organic and natural progression to the experience. No planes, no ride car or seat and the fact you feel naked as you jump mean it is probably going to forever be the highlight of my life.
n2224005163696235744590.jpg

So Bungee jumping if your unsure or think its a too extreme step for you I can sympathise and understand how you feel but trust me when I say that the pay off and rewards from them last longer than anything else. Crane jumps are no way near as harsh as this was and a skydives becomes almost too large for the impact adrenaline to last.

Bloukrans Bungee is for me the premier experience of my life and if you ever get the chance to go to South Africa I suggest you make time for it.

Now here is a link to the video on my facebook page.. Please dont laugh too much at the dancing.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 3365860084

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYfMgjNOKQ[/youtube]

If you feel compelled to or just think we get along feel free to add me with a message as to where you know me from.

Regards

DDF14

BLOUKRANS BUNGEE 1,000,000 / 10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think I could do the actual jump and think I'd enjoy it. However, you'd struggle get me to the jumping area, and I would actually die at the moment they disconnect my feet :lol:

Sounds like a superb experience, and nicely written to capture the whole atmosphere and feelings :)

DDF14

Mega Poster
Cheers Furie it means a lot.

:lol: I know what you mean about the getting out to the arch bit. However there is an alternative route to the centre of the bridge. For an extra couple of bucks abot £12 (I think), you can do a zip wire from the edge of the bridge to the centre.

When we did our return trip to Bloukrans a few weeks later during the IPL we paid to do it its quite fast and fun and much less nervy than the steel walkway. My second jump i did with the free harness so the bungee cord clips at your back. you then get dropped off the bridge backwards doing a backflip and given freedom to kick with your legs... It was the scariest thing I have ever done, made worse by the same trick they pull on everyone which is to hold you by the harness and angle you back at 45 degrees the other guy secretly clips you on while you cant see but the guys holding you let go of you then shout .. "No no no dont go yet its not fixed on" .... well

You totally get mindf****d and S**t yourself .. well i did ..

The instructors with free harness do running jumps of the bridge with multiple flips its quite a place..

Josh73

Giga Poster
Never. In. A. Million. Years.

Great TR. Your TRs have really impressed me! Thanks for the hard work, and keep it up!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I think it's a bloke who's lowered down to bring you back up. He's nearly back at the top in that picture.

Great report DDF14, I'd love a go! :p

DDF14

Mega Poster
Thanks for all the positive comments, It really does mean a lot to me knowing I have given a good insight into a world class experience. Im glad no one has had a pop at the dancing yet or the comical vertigo fall

Martyn B
Yeah we spent a good part of the 7 hour drive there asking ourselves how the hell they get you back up to the top. There are 2 large motor driven cable seats that are used to sent a guy down to collect you. He clips you to the main line and then does 2 back ups on your main harness and one on your legs. The bungee cord is un clipped and attached in 2 places to the cable. The bungee cord is pulled up by hand while the cable brings you up.

For best view watch the video which I have now put on my youtube.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yup, just watched the video, and the whole getting back to the bridge looks the worst part of it to me!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That looks absolutely awesome. I can imagine that the build up is similar to Skydiving. I'm sure it was an incredible feeling.

DDF14

Mega Poster
Thanks Antinos.

I found it very different to the build up of a skydive. Its a far more natural experience. The high altitude of a skydive for me almost felt too comfortable and I had a good idea of the view and drop expected from the windows (plus I fly a cessna when I can so I have got used to that environment. The bungee jump off a bridge has a real mystery about the view down that is not revealed until your toes are being placed over the edge. It has much more of an impact.

(Well thats just my opinion.)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I've only done a couple of jumps between 100 & 200 feet. They really hurt my ankles, so I can't imagine doing one that high. However my jumps seemed to snap a lot at the bottom of the drop whereas this one looks really smooth. Still don't know if I could ever do that, even though I don't really have a fear of heights (as plenty of the peeps here know).
Great stuff bud. Thanks for sharing!

Ben

CF Legend
I'd literally die before doing a bungee jump. They just look absolutely foul. I'd happily mince out of a plane, or do one of those SCAT towers or whatever they're called, but, a bungee would just be... Urgh. I couldn't face it. I think I've got a kind of insane fear that the rest of my body would stop, and my head would come off and keep going or something. Urgh, the thought just makes me cry. Not for a million pounds <//3 If Sir Alan said "Ben, do this bungee jump", I'd have to say "sorry, I'd rather jump you".

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Looks absolutely bat **** insane, but I'll gladly jump out of planes, base jump, whatever, before I bungee jump. Just no.

DDF14

Mega Poster
Ha Ha nice dude... I put Bungee Jumping and Base Jumping together really both are so much better than Skydiving. My dream would be a Bungee out of a helicopter about 2-3000ft above a vicious looking gorge / canyon and then have a release cord to rip out straight into a diving freefall therefore combining the 2 .. which I believe has been done before at about 9000ft... However as started above I think the higher you go the less the impact of a skydive..