What's new

World Cup Topic 2018

Will

Strata Poster
I'm really unimpressed that that was a 3:00 kick off so I didn't get to watch the drama unfold.
I also found out that one of my colleagues is German.

First time in 80 years and other stats that everyone had probably already heard.
Brazil might get spited as well this evening, though I can't see it happening.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Loving the fact the Germans are out, can't beat a good shocker!

Still got the feeling that Belgium or Croatia could nab this, they are the only 2 teams I feel have managed to maintain consistency thus far. Let's see what the next few games bring...

Will

Strata Poster
I have just been handed Denmark in the belated World Cup sweepstake. Goddammit.

Also, England didn't exactly fill me with confidence last night, but Columbia haven't really got into top gear either... Could we really see the first England knockout stages win since 2006?

Sandman

Giga Poster
Well, things have become even more interesting now that Russia have just taken Spain out of the equation. I'd love to see Denmark overthrow Croatia in tonight's game but I feel as though Croatia have now built up the confidence to get another decent win.

davidm

Strata Poster
I didn't get to watch the match properly last night as I was at a concert.

My match experience was watching the first 25 minutes outside the Walkabout (big crowd on the side street outside as you could see the TVs from there and all the window things were open because of the temperature - people kept getting hassled by the local druggies who sensed a captive audience). Then went into the concert at the arena where your phone-data coverage just dies because of reasons, so erratic tracking of the score every few minutes (before the band came on). Then there was a big cheer from the back of the audience - everyone near me checking their phone "YES" cries the drunk Liverpudlian sitting next to me and we work out Kane has scored a penalty. Literally seconds later the band came on. - deep Joy.

I get to see the score as we enter injury time - sorted?

Drunk Liverpudlian comes back from the bar a few minutes later (him and his mate were necking bottles of wine) and tells me they have equalised 6 minutes into added time (he was almost right). Bugger.

Intermission at the concert for 20 mins or so, spot that the executive boxes just behind me have the game on on their TV - ridiculous. So watch a few minutes of extra-time from the stairs but I'm not having that and the gig is going to restart...
My Liverpudlian pal (we've bonded now over the football) checking his phone as the penalty shootout is happening - he's got better connection than me. Its 3-2 to Columbia, we've both missed one and he can't take it anymore and heads up to where you could see into the boxes and their TVs. Few minutes later can hear a bunch of people singing "football's coming home" and the Liverpudlian returns with a big grin on his face and a "WE DID IT".

Enjoyed the rest of the concert a whole lot more after that.
Got home, watched Match of the Day with a beer - lot easier watching penalty shoot-outs when you know the score. ;)

Very weird experience all round.

(I have some logistical challenges watching Saturday's match as well of course, also concert related but much less challenging as I'll just be coming back from a concert in London on the Friday then so I'm sure I can find a London-based beer-related establishment to watch it in).

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I watched it all, not an easy watch. Elated to actually win a Penalty Shootout.
The Sweden game will be similar but without the excessively dirty tactics Columbia used last night. **** them, deserved to lose just because of how they went about the game.

Will

Strata Poster
I'd given up hope of living to see England win a world cup penalty shootout...

Had to sit and calm down for at least half an hour after it finished last night before I could even think about going to bed, especially as I also had to wait for the bloke next door to also calm down and stop making noise!!

We don't have a great track record against Sweden (6 of our 8 victories were more than 50 years ago) but this does seem to be a World Cup where anything can happen. I'm at Silverstone Saturday afternoon and the game will kick off immediately after qualifying, so I'm expecting a stampede to the nearest big screen and then a big crowd and a fab atmosphere to watch it in.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm at Silverstone Saturday afternoon and the game will kick off immediately after qualifying, so I'm expecting a stampede to the nearest big screen and then a big crowd and a fab atmosphere to watch it in.
Sounds brilliant! I'm at a Beer festival during the match, literally couldn't have planned it better :)