What's new

Will we see another classic style dark ride outside Disney?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Was talking to a guy who's making a documentary about the classic uk dark rides this evening... And what with Thorpe's new planning proposal...

Are the days of train or boat based journeys through narrative scenery a thing of the past?

I'm talking about the likes of Chessington's 5th Dimension/Terror Tomb, Bubbleworks, Alton's Haunted House, SFOG's Monster Mansion, Efteling's Droomvlucht, etc.

These kinds of rides are pricey, but they are also iconic, loved and powerful childhood memories. It seems such a shame that none are being produced these days.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Re: Will we see another classic style dark ride outside Disn

Efteling's Hartenhof maybe?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Arthur and the Minimoys at Europa park, its more of a dark ride like Droomvlucht than a rollercoaster.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

That is a good point. There is a definite trend towards digital and technology based rides such as Antarctica and Harry Potter these days.

Darren B

Giga Poster

Hopefully not. We've got enough dark rides and they're all crap.

Use the money wisely and buy coasters. Customers come to parks for that, not for a crappy boat ride through a bull **** fake Forest with fairy tail music.

Dark rides </////3

peep

CF Legend

Although the occasional old dark ride is still made I think the majority use screens and new technology because the ride type has evolved. Why use an old way of making a dark ride when a new piece of tech allows you to tell a story in a way that will entice the modern audience?

nadroJ

CF Legend

I know it was a retheme, but Wallace and Gromit is essentially an old school dark ride.

spicy

Giga Poster

I can't help but think that we look back on Terror Tomb/Bubbleworks with fond memories and nostalgia and like them a lot more because of that.

If these rides were built today I wonder if they would still be viewed the same?

In my opinion if Thorpe's new dark ride turns out to be a 'classic style' dark ride such as a train or boat ride through that warehouse we have seen people won't be too happy.

Better technology is available now and arguably has been since 1999 when Spiderman first opened and this is the way dark rides are going with screens and physical effects combined. I guess whether you prefer this style of dark ride or not is down to personal taste but due to the popularity of these rides its easy to see that a lot of people enjoy them.

To answer the question though, I believe that we will see another classic style dark ride outside of Disney simply because they are a lot cheaper and easier to produce.

Will we ever see one on the scale of Mystic Manor outside of Disney though??

The only park chain with the potential to do that is Universal and we have seen the direction they are going in so no I don't think we will.

Ben

CF Legend

Is Mystic Manor 'classic' though? It uses screens, trackless technology. I wouldn't say it's any more 'classic' than say, Transformers or even Potter. Also, the direction Universal are going in is still quite dark ride focused, they're just, modern.

I think we will see some, new parks are a good bet. They're a bit of a staple, so when new parks open I'm sure you'll see one plonked in.