What's new

Will we ever see a true "Psycoaster"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's not exactly the "psycoaster" element I guess, but a few of us were discussing after riding Th13teen that we wouldn't be surprised to see an American or Asian park take the drop aspect and do it bigger and better. Let's face it, that's exactly what happened with Oblivion and Air. The prototypes are relatively "basic" in their layouts, but other parks have benefited from the technology and created the likes of Sheikra, Tatsu, Manta etc.

Seeing that dropping track element, bigger, out in the open has the potential to be a lot more frightening than the "story" (whatever that's supposed to be) element of Th13teen.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
UC said:
think this falls in to the realm of gimmicks like the Tilt Coaster or Ferris Wheel Lift, in that it's an interesting concept but there's really not that much of a niche for it.
I disagree, I think the track dropping is much cheaper and more basic than any of that stuff, and it's more believable. As in, if the general public saw a tilt coaster, you can imagine them thinking of it as very unsafe and unreliable, whereas the track dropping seems like a much more simple, natural motion.
However, I suppose it all depends on cost, you can imagine Universal including it in their next Mummy coaster, but it'd only be a small part of it, and if the drop section costs alot (Considering TH13TEEN costed £15m, there isn;t much else it could have been spent on, surely?) then they probably wouldn't bother, as it wouldn't be worth including.

coasterboy

Mega Poster
What I think the next park who takes this idea should do is make the drop more ferocious. Not taller [although this would be good :)] TBH, a ferocious drop is more terrifying than a tall one because it really takes you by surprise. Here's the idea in terms of vocals -

Tall drop - aaaaaHHHHHHHH!!!!

Ferocious drop - HOLY ****... oh, it's done

Thoughts?

Ollie

CF Legend
Vadge said:
The question is, will anyone ever be able to combine the two?
Scare Attractions and coasters? Amsterdam Dungeons does that.
But yeah, scary rides (as in horror themed) are great and I'd love to see more of them. The hard part is though is not making it too scary to put off people who dislike horror but keep it scary enough to satisfy those who do.
It's a much harder concept than alot of people think and require alot of planning and thought going into it.
I'd love to see a coaster incorporated into an experience like Haunted Mansion. Where you've got all that stuff before the actual ride.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Haunted Mansion is possibly one of the least scariest things going...

It's all a question of budget, to give a complete experience a la Disney, you're gonna be paying top dollar, not many parks can either afford nor want to do that...

DannyCoasterJ

Roller Poster
The answer is ..MAYBE. All the effects on th13teen are not upto date. I've heard that when you fall into the crypt the "wraiths" chase you out.Since th13teen is currently having downtime maybe we will see the completed effects at the end of the easter holidays ?