What's new

Does Carowinds have room to add new rides and possible another water ride or two?

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
I’m not talking. About in their waterpark but in the dry section of their park I see that they recently retired their rip roaring rapids raft ride and I don’t know if it’ll be torn down anytime soon because I heard some parts of the ride does still remain. But if this ride is demolished their won’t be a single water ride at Carowinds anymore that includes flume or splashdown ride. And it gets so hot in North Carolina I’m surprised by this. I know their’s the waterpark I know but to just to have a water ride to cool off in the summer at the dry section of the park would be nice. So is this the end for water rides at the park or is their slight hope in the future because their isn’t much room to expand at Carowinds unless they buy more land which I’m not sure how likely that is.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I’m not talking. About in their waterpark but in the dry section of their park I see that they recently retired their rip roaring rapids raft ride and I don’t know if it’ll be torn down anytime soon because I heard some parts of the ride does still remain. But if this ride is demolished their won’t be a single water ride at Carowinds anymore that includes flume or splashdown ride. And it gets so hot in North Carolina I’m surprised by this. I know their’s the waterpark I know but to just to have a water ride to cool off in the summer at the dry section of the park would be nice. So is this the end for water rides at the park or is their slight hope in the future because their isn’t much room to expand at Carowinds unless they buy more land which I’m not sure how likely that is.
I thought Intamin has kinda stopped making rapid rides?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
Oh I didn’t know that but it’s odd that Carowinds does not have a single water ride in their dry park anymore. And it’s also odd that parts of the water ride still remain and they haven’t done anything yet to remove it so far. So I’m curious will it stay and get a overhaul like the raft ride at Knotts berry farm or it’ll more likely be replaced with a new attraction?

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
It just seems like all the amusement parks across the country are losing their water rides in their dry parks like the classic log flumes, shoot the chutes, and raft rides it’s unfortunate but this makes me think is this the end of water rides at dry parks? Will they eventually come up with a new design? Six Flags over Texas is rumored to be getting a Mack power splash similar to the one at Walibi Belgium. So what if this new type of water ride succeeds? Could we see a comeback of water rides at dry parks? Even though you can always go to water parks to ride water slides. I don’t think many guests would want to walk around a park on a hot muggy day with a lot of humidity in Charlotte since we know how hot it gets not to ride a water ride to cool off. So I hope they do not take away rip roaring rapids because of that.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I think water coasters might make a comeback, something like Poseidon or Supersplash i think could be a good way to add a new coaster and something to cool people off. I wouldn't say water rides are on the decline per se but i do think in certain chains (M£RLIN) they can't be bothered to maintain and pay the costs necessary to keep these attractions running. Like water rides are still being built, Infinity Falls, Chiapas, brilliant water rides are still a thing, its just certain parks and chains are starting to fade them out due to cost or maybe even low popularity. When i went to Cedar Point on the hottest day of the trip (boiling sun!) and both water rides were still walk on! I think in some parks with amazing coaster lineups even on a hot day people would rather ride world class coasters than cool down on the rapids.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I just think it's the States that have kind of given up on water rides except for the odd Infinity Falls. It looks like Silver Dollar City is replacing their rapids ride with who knows what... Hopefully it will be a new generation rapids ride like Infinity?

I feel like rapids were the star water attraction in the 90s. When basically every major park got theirs there was little room for improvement; I mean, you can have two similar coasters but you wouldn't have two rapids rides, since the concept is difficult to evolve unless you are talking about something like River Quest at Phantasialand (which no park has ever dared to replicate anyway). Why bother with a ride that takes up so much land, must be expensive to operate (gallons and gallons of water, water pumps, loads of rafts) when you are going to operate it to its fullest probably 2-3 months?

Hopefully, if Over Texas gets a Mack PowerSplash and proves successful, in 5 years every SF and their dog will have theirs and we might be talking about the renaissance of water rides in the States.

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
Hopefully I hear a rumor of holiday world getting a launched water coaster that I’ve never even heard of before quite interesting I wonder what’s the difference between the water coaster and the Mack power splash? What’s the new raft rapids ride type right now? Would it be something similar to infinity falls? I hope rip roaring rapids gets an upgrade because Charlotte again their humidity and heat is brutal in the summer months.

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
I’m hoping carowinds will at least get one water ride in their lark like a splash battle or Mack power splash since six flags over Texas is getting aquaman power wave next year. And mystic river falls looks even better than infinity Falls at seaworld orlando not sure if carowinds will ever get that in the near future if they just tear down Rip Roarin Rapids completely. I would just think it would be nice to have 2 dry water rides to their collection of thrill rides/coasters to have guests cool off every once and awhile. But that’s why you have Carolina harbor. I’m saying though if your not going in the water park. It’s still something fun about them.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't really care - it'd have to be one hell of a water ride to get me away from marathon laps on Afterburn and Fury.

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
Yes I know but to not have any at all it’s just kind of weird if Carowinds brings back the antique auto cars for 2021 since 2020 they won’t add anything in the dry park. I would just want to see a hybrid of a mixed coaster and a water ride. I hope at least before 2030 their will be at least one dry water ride if not two of Rip Roaring Rapids isn’t going anywhere and getting a much needed refurbishment. How strong can we take this rumor that the Antique Auto Cars will be coming though in 2021?

TheCoasterNerd9213

Roller Poster
The park doesn’t have any room for any future expansion to add more roller coasters and thrill rides so they’ll have to tear down a few things to replace them?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
The park doesn’t have any room for any future expansion to add more roller coasters and thrill rides so they’ll have to tear down a few things to replace them?

Yes. Removing old/outdated attractions to make space for new attractions is common practice in the industry and that is likely what carowinds will need to do as cedar fair continues to invest in the property over the next decade+