What's new

Wild Water West in South Dakota | Unknown | RMC Raptor| Cancelled

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
@Kw6sTheater sent me this:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/f8xyxk

Start from page 18 for coaster info.

Certainly wasn't expecting this! We could be seeing another Raptor coming to the world, and it seems like we could be seeing 3 next year, possibly more!

It appears to be a Wonder Woman clone (the standard, prototype layout) but it's the first big coaster to come to the state, and it's going to a water park, of any places!

Last edited:

Pear

Strata Poster
Wild Water West in Sioux Falls, South Dakota has submitted plans to their local committee for the approval of an RMC Raptor.

144d34f93b4902829910b420126eab43.png

b3a8a8430a5134cfde6ec1e137222781.jpg

bfdf3e83c4a54298b5e892e5917e034d.jpg

The full document can be found here: https://www.minnehahacounty.org/dept/pl/planningCommission/meetingInfo/staffReports/022420.pdf

Hopefully this goes through! It would be nice for this region of the US to have something worthwhile.

Matt N

CF Legend
Well, there are rumours for SFMM and Kentucky Kingdom, But this is the only that is near confirmed.
Ah OK. Thanks for the clarification @CrashCoaster!

Also, a look at RCDB implies that this ride is the first large-scale coaster ever to be built in the state of South Dakota! According to RCDB, there have only been 7 roller coasters ever built in the state, and most of them are kiddie coasters; the largest one I could find was a potential Pinfari Z40!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Also, a look at RCDB implies that this ride is the first large-scale coaster ever to be built in the state of South Dakota!

Ha, you must have wondered the same thing I did: 'Where the f*** is Wild Water West'? ?
Followed by: 'Oh, it's in Minnehaha County'.
Followed by: 'Where the f*** is Minnehaha County'?
Ha ha.

*EDIT: I notice how @CrashCoaster has now edited the title to include the words South Dakota. Great way to make me look stupid Crash', thanks for that. ;)

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^No worries Crash', we're cool.
To be fair, I still would have had to check the map anyway to see where South Dakota was! ?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I love how informal the letter to the planning authority is:
"Yes it's a risk, but a risk worth taking"
"I can only guess what this would do to the local economy"

Not something you see from British theme parks for example, who are very formal and meticulous about their planning applications.

Also throw me in as another one who had no clue this park existed. When I heard its name, I mistook it for the manufacturer of rides like Storm Surge and L'Oxygenarium WhiteWater West... [/basic]

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Please, tell me more.

I'd also like to say that from a totally unreliable source, that some guy on Reddit or Twitter said that RMC apparently sold 3 Raptors at IAAPA last year, but take that with a pinch of salt. Time will tell if that actually comes to fruition.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Ooof, that is an unfortunate YouTube thumbnail.

tpNiSYD.jpg

All hail RMC...? :confused:
Red hat and Nazi salute — nothing would surprise me these days.
Anyway [screeching turn to get back on topic], this news from South Dakota is unbelievable and clear proof of just how affordable Raptors can be. RMC is breaking every industry mold.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Wow, so this is a thing! I guess I have a reason to go to South Dakota and grab the state cred!

Pear

Strata Poster

Wild Water West says roller coaster project in “very preliminary stage”

A roller coaster could be in Wild Water West’s future, but park management says don’t fast track the project just yet. The Minnehaha County Planning Commission approved a conditional use permit. This essentially clears a hurdle for Wild Water West to build a roller coaster. The project, however, is still in its early stages.

“Really, it’s just in a very preliminary stage, because we didn’t want to get too far down the road and have something stop us,” Brian Rehnke, Wild Water West director of operations, said.

Rehnke says, with a conditional use permit, Wild Water West will start looking at whether it’s feasible to install a roller coaster on the southwest end, back behind a set of water slides.

“This thing could change or maybe not even happen at all,” Rehnke said.

Before approving the permit, the County Planning Commission looked at how a roller coaster would affect the overall wellbeing of this area.

“They consider things like the effect upon the use of enjoyment of the land and the surrounding areas and as well as looking at things like noise, vibration, and lighting,” David Heinold, county planner, said.

There is a design online. It’s called a Raptor, and even has roller coaster-lovers buzzing about it on an online message board. Rehnke says this was just an idea the park submitted to the county during the conditional use permit process, and isn’t the final project.

“We’re very much hoping we could get over that top hill and start going down, but no. Right now, I don’t really have a time table. I don’t really have a timeline. We just did the first step in hopes we can continue taking other steps,” Rehnke said.

After any feasibility studies, Wild Water West would need county approval on engineering drawings, blueprints, and building permits. There is a five-day appeal process for the conditional use permit. People have until March 2nd to voice any concerns, before the permit is finalized.

Last edited: