What's new

Wild Mouse at BPB Closure - R.I.P. 1958-2017

Dar

Hyper Poster
I wonder how much Icon's operations and throughput skew the results a bit? If Icon can get through 2 or 3 times as many people per hour as the big one, it'll look less popular but it's actually just moving the queue better

Lofty

CF Legend
Icon has been open a couple of weeks, there's not a single chance that any enthusiast has noticed a peek in visitor numbers. The only way you could do that is literally go every single day and count every single person going in, and you did the same last year - which none of you have. Sure, you can see if it 'feels busier', but that literally means nothing.

Also, Icon monitors how many people enter the station (wristband scanner), so it's not really about the queue, they still know exactly how many people have been on it throughout the day and I can absolutely guarantee, it'll be one one of the highest numbers in the entire park as the amount of people running from the exit back into the entrance is unreal.

Ben

CF Legend
I mean, I do kinda feel like it hasn’t skyrocketed visitor numbers like they hoped it would. I’m not saying it’s been a flop by any stretch but actually there wasn’t that good a marketing campaign behind it, and it doesn’t seem to have been as obscene numbers wise as it could have been.

Obviously BPB have all this data though and if they think it’s not going right they’ll do something about it.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Pleasure Beach aren't concerned, they know it'll pick up once the school holidays kick in and from there onwards it'll be busy every weekend through to the end of the season.

Midweek will be busy at the Pleasure Beach soon when school trip season kicks in there.

ThrillX_the_Xplorer

Roller Poster
I wonder if BPB could make room for an RMC Raptor? Seems like the single rail coaster might be an option that the park could afford, accommodate and market as another unique major investment (offering a full experience rather than a gimmick)? That would be one hell of a 1-2 punch with Icon!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Replacing a 1958 heritage thrill wooden coaster with an arcade?! :(

The thing with arcades, though, is that they're practically the embodiment of temporary fluff. You put up a room full of machines that for all intents and purposes run themselves. Pretty cheap investment, even if you count the building itself, and you could feasibly put it up in two weeks. When you decide to re-develop the land, one guy could move the entire lineup of arcade machines into storage overnight using a dolly, and they are easy to sell. Any pizza parlor or bowling alley is a potential customer. Or supplier, come to think of it, if you don't mind second-hand machines. Arcades are great to put up if you have nothing better to use the land for, and they make a bit of extra income, and when something better comes along, they can be taken down cheaply and easily. As long as BPB has better long-term plans for the site, I wouldn't worry about them filling the space with an arcade in the meantime. Given that the Wild Mouse could not be operated, it's that or empty land.

Will

Strata Poster
^
The worrying thing is I'm almost tempted.
Wish they'd left it a bit more recognisable though - partly so I could make a comment about some goon buying the whole lot and reconstructing it in their garden :p

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
As if they hadn't angered enthusiasts enough, now they're trying to make money off the remains of the ride! :mad:
How big was 'large wood'? :eek:

Peet

Giga Poster
^ You can see them all in the photo. Some of the big bits at the bottom are splintered for that "freshly demolished" look. I have no idea who would buy that since surely only big fans of the mouse would even consider it, and for them (us) it would be like owning and displaying a broken body part of a dead relative!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
A quick estimate for the length of the wooden boards suggest they're selling it for £400 per meter of wood. Assuming the ride held some 10,000 meters of lumber in total (not a completely unreasonable estimate, considering that Outlaw Run has about 150 kilometers of wood in it), they could potentially pay off a quarter of Icon's investment just by selling bits of Wild Mouse.

Matt N

CF Legend
A quick estimate for the length of the wooden boards suggest they're selling it for £400 per meter of wood. Assuming the ride held some 10,000 meters of lumber in total (not a completely unreasonable estimate, considering that Outlaw Run has about 150 kilometers of wood in it), they could potentially pay off a quarter of Icon's investment just by selling bits of Wild Mouse.
Wow! That's amazing!

Coaster

Mega Poster
It's almost like they planned this!

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
They've been selling ride parts for years. Hell they've got loads of Space Invader wheels and have done for the past one or two seasons. Nearly every major ride on park has had parts sold at some point, even something as recent as Skyforce.