What's new

Why does Dudley Doo Right's Ripsaw Falls have two drops?

Ollie

CF Legend
On the final drop of Dudley Doo Right's Ripsaw Falls why are there two drops side by side. I thought first of all it may be to keep the boats apart, but then what's the point as it's unlikely another boat will catch up with the one ahead, and no other log flumes (that I know off) do it.
It may seem like a n00by question but I'm interested in finding out. :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/282 ... 15.jpg?v=0

Mike

Giga Poster
no other log flumes (that I know off) do it.

I think I remember seeing the one at Hersheypark splits up into two for the drop.

I think it just improves the capacity of the ride, but I'm not too sure how.

Ben

CF Legend
It improves the capacity of the ride because you can now drop more at a time. Because on DD the "drop" is really long, it would take a while to clear it, so, with two, you can send another down before it has cleared the "block", if you like.

Other ones that do it are Hershey's and Cedar Point's one that got removed. What else... a few other Six Flags/Cedar Fair parks I think, but, I can't find any >.<

Ollie

CF Legend
I thought it may have had something to do with that, but then thought that it would be unlikely for the boat behind to catch up anyway as they are several seconds apart so by the time the boat in front got down the drop it would of floated away far enough for the second one to come down as that will slow down at the same point the one before would of.
I know what I mean, I just suck at explaining it. :p

Gazza

Giga Poster
as that will slow down at the same point the one before would of.
Not really...heavily loaded logs will travel a bit further before slowing properly.

Having twin drops is really just one of those last little things you can do to boost capacity.
Basically, on a flume you could technically have as many logs end to end as the channel would fit , but of course the station and the drops are the choke points which stop you from doing this....The station since it takes time for people to get in, which limits the headway. Drops because it would be too risky to have boats so close together.

Richie

Hyper Poster
This is irrelevant, but I <3 the drop on the left because you don't get abused at the bottom as much with water guns <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
A cool example of the double drop is Logger's Run at Six Flags Great America, which features interlocking double drops.

Logger%27s%20Leap.png

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^And that answers the question how? Sorry, but in other topics you've been moaning that nobody takes your posts seriously, that people "hate you and want you to die" (just a slight exaggeration), and then you come in here with that.