What's new

Who makes the best corkscrews?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Is it just me, or are Arrow and Vekoma corkscrews miles and miles better than any B&M wing over?

I cannot stand wing overs. I hate the way that you are thrown through the inversion. It feels awkward. Can't stand them. And they are so bloody common. Grrrr! Anyone else kinda dislike them?

However, I have no issue with any corkscrew made by Vekoma or Arrow that I can think of. They flow what feels like... correctly and they are usually smooth compared to the rest of the ride. Take Ninja at SFOG... The corkscrew is GOOD whilst the rest of the ride is death. (Entertainingly bad death, but death none-the-less...)

I can't think of many Intamin corkscrews, but all the ones I can think of are awful. Oh, wait, Maverick's are good... But they large and drawn out and wee.

RCF

Strata Poster
I do agree with you that when you have B&M you're almost forced into the inversion and bang around a bit, and most of the time, as you said, Vekoma and Arrow's corkscrew, no matter how rough, always go with the flow as you said. But then sometimes the B&M corkscrews, like I said, you get thrown into them and it's not fun (especially on inverts) but then sometimes it goes good with the flow of the ride and they are usually smoother, but for me, I choose Arrow.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I don't really have a problem with B&M wing-overs but I do see what you are saying. They have a much more sudden, snappier motion, whereas Arrow's corks are very continuous and smooth, especially the double corks.

Personally, I don't think either one is better than the other.. they're just different. Both fit into the flow of their respective ride types pretty well.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I love both if I'm honest.

I only ever rode Corkscrew at Alton for the corkscrews, they were just really nice to ride. However, I do love B&M wingovers. The one on Nemesis is amazing.

So, I don't have a preference, as madhjsp said before me;

Both fit into the flow of their respective ride types pretty well.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
If I wanted to be technical, Arrow/Vekoma make the perfect corkscrew motion. One solid movement like a wine bottle corkcrew. The bug for me is the dodgy entrance/exit of the element, but then thats just how it is if you want a consistant rotation comming from a high angle.

I prefer riding a B&M flatspin/wing over. They aren't really proper Corkscrews like the Arrow/koma ones, but they are smoother. Unbanked entrance, point of minimal force to do a sharp flick, then unbank again after the full rotation is complete. More comfortable overall, can be as forceful, and reduces headbanging.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
I agree with that on older B&Ms, but on newer coasters, like Talon and Silver Bullet, the corkscrews are smooth. Arrow gives you best "corkscrew feeling" but I'll take a smoother, newer corkscrew on a B&M over a rough Arrow any day.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
A-Kid said:
If I wanted to be technical, Arrow/Vekoma make the perfect corkscrew motion. One solid movement like a wine bottle corkcrew. The bug for me is the dodgy entrance/exit of the element, but then thats just how it is if you want a consistant rotation comming from a high angle.

I prefer riding a B&M flatspin/wing over. They aren't really proper Corkscrews like the Arrow/koma ones, but they are smoother. Unbanked entrance, point of minimal force to do a sharp flick, then unbank again after the full rotation is complete. More comfortable overall, can be as forceful, and reduces headbanging.
I don't understand this, because I get no headbanging on any corkscrew made by Vekoma or Arrow - but almost every B&M one I do.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
I'm the complete opposite. I have huge problems with Arrow/Vekoma corkscrews. The two Arrow corkscrew's I've been on were absolutely horrendous. Sorry RCF, but I find Arrow's corkscrews to be more forced than B&M's. They don't flow at all!
I find B&M's wing-overs to be quite pleasant. They give a good flick and provide some excitement. Yes they can get a little F'ed up with age, but I still prefer them over Arrow/Vekoma corkscrews.

I get no headbanging on any corkscrew made by Vekoma or Arrow.
I'd like to get on the Arrow/Vekoma rides you've ridden!

IHeartArrow

Mega Poster
My personal favorite Corkscrew is Premier's. I love how you're constantly moving forwards and it's more drawn out. Also, Premier puts a little pop of airtime at the top of their Corkscrews. None of them are slow during the inversion so it's forceful with a random pop of airtime.

I love B&M's Wing Over on the inverts but not the Flat Spin. Much less Interlocking Corkscrews. I don't get how B&M has rough Corkscrews. Dominator, Kraken, and Hydra come to mind. Dominator's is an aggressive jerk into the jerky turnaround into another aggressive Corkscrew. Kraken's stops rolling really suddenly at the exit and bangs your head.

Arrow couldn't do much else perfectly, but Corkscrews were certainly one. Every looping Arrow I've been on has been perfectly smooth in the Corkscrews. On Anaconda and Vortex you're going slow enough that you get hangtime, which is pretty awesome. Python was rough as hell but the Corkscrews (sans the transition between the two of them) were smooth.

I've not been on a Vekoma with a Corkscrew to date.

Fahrenheit's were pretty good, they were like a mix between B&M's and Arrow's but smooth.

CMonster

Giga Poster
I haven't been on an Arrow corkie in years. From what I remember, though, the corkscrews were the best part of the ride. I do, however, enjoy the snap of B&M wingovers.

I can't decide.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
*Checks the timestamp on original post*

While folks are encouraged to bring up old discussions, sometimes it's better yet to launch a new discussion, rather than dig something ~10 years old back up. :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Especially considering that the now deleted necroposter was trying to discuss kitchen utensils and not roller coaster elements...

Although I do like how kitchen based corkscrews have integrated bottle openers - results in a good deal of leverage for opening that beer ?

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
The wing over on Flight Gun Top Deck at CGA is probably one of the best inversions I've ever ridden, also it's in-line roll.

It's so freagen snappy, like next level compared to every other invert I've done, it just gets ya.

I think people forget about floorless corkscrews. I can't recall others, but Medua SFDK in the back row on one of the sides gives you some intense ejector.

Arrow corkscrews are great, but only because of the slowness and shape

Peet

Giga Poster
I guess this topic is well and truly alive again now so might as well have my say.

Nobody makes proper corkscrews any more. A real double corkscrew like the Arrow and old Vekoma ones is a thing of beauty - a single continuous spiral during which the train is "rigid" ie. there is no relative movement between one car and the next until the corkscrews are done.

The Intamin double corkscrews that we have in the UK on Colossus and Shockwave and much less enjoyable IMO as they don't flow but feel much more like 2 separate elements. B&M interlocking corkscrews don't do anything for me at all - they look good off-ride, but on-ride they feel pretty awkward to me.

Bring back the double corkscrew!

UP87

Mega Poster
Wasn't the double corkscrew only named corkscrew in the beginning? I mean... the single inversion doesn't even look like a corkscrew.

I like corkscrews but with old Vekoma coasters I really find the entrance of the corkscrew element rather awkward. The banking in general is a bit strange. (Since I only did coasters in Europe I didn't get to ride any Arrow coasters by now)