Which skyline do you prefer?

• Liverpool's

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • London's

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Ok this is just a random poll about 2 of britain's most iconic skyline's.
But the question is, which one do you prefer?

The 2 choices are Liverpool's or London's.

Liverpool,

_MG_2483_sm.jpg

Liverpool_City_Panorama.jpg

IMG_5007-Panorama-1-2.jpg

liverpool_skyscrapers-4.jpg

mann-island.jpg

1202099_4e1cc052.jpg

370RadioCityTower_pic3.jpg

liverpool_cathedral.jpg

London,

canary-wharf2.jpg

Canary_Wharf_London.jpg

london-gherkin-building.jpg

016524_2de9a2b8.jpg

londres_st_pauls_cathedral.jpe

London-big-ben.jpg

Liverpool's is nice, but London beats it. I actually have a London skyline wall sticker in my room <3 Seriously though, I love the contrast between the "old" and "new" skylines in London, it's absolutely gorgeous.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
UC said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (I very well could be) but isn't this a little like asking "What's more iconic, New York City or Newark?"
Well not really, but in the Uk are citie's don't have many tall building's. It's only really Liverpool and London what have a main skyline of tall buildings. The liver building in Liverpool (the one with the 2 bird's on top of it) is one of the most iconic building's in the Uk, as it was the Uk's first skyscraper.

Ben

CF Legend
UC said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (I very well could be) but isn't this a little like asking "What's more iconic, New York City or Newark?"

It's a bit more like New York and Chicago tbh. But, if Chicago wasn't better than NYC.

I liked Liverpool a lot more than I thought I would when I went. It's not got a better skyline than London though. And you can see Barclays in the Canary photos <3

Plus,

TheShard415.jpg

<3

230px-Bishopsgate_Tower_from_London_Bridge_cropped.JPG

Some of London's new buildings are gonna be siccck.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Liverpool is okay, it was better before they dumped in all the nasty modern skyscrapers in though :p

By the way, the Liver building was the second Skyscraper in the UK, the first also being in Liverpool though (the Tower building, finished the year before the Liver building) ;)

Somebody also saw fit to drop an enormous one of these into the city centre:
The-Sweetie-Stop-double-lollies.jpg

Only they then clad it in concrete and it's one of the most hideous monstrosities ever. The Anglican cathedral (I notice you didn't put up a picture of Paddy's Wigwam) though is gorgeous (also has excellent parking for Chinatown), but...

Let's face it, London is easily the best. The old skyline of my youth was fantastic, the skyline of my grandfather was fantastic, the modern skyline is fantastic. It's a fantastic mix of old and ultra modern, it's brilliant. Plus, you could pretty much fit the entire of the Liverpool skyline into Canary Warf ;)

Oh, and don't get me started on the new ferry station ruining the view on the Mersey waterfront, eugh!

nadroJ

CF Legend
London <3 You can see the skyline from an old windy road in the town where I live called the Crooked Mile, I always liked that =]

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
kimahri said:
They both look crap.

This is one of the rare moments when I agree with you, kimahri. Urban skylines are just so... :puke:

But I have to go for London as it has some of the country's most beautiful buildings. Battersea Power Station, Houses of Parliament, St Paul's Cathedral, etc.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I have such a soft spot for a good skyline.

London is awesome purely for Canary Wharf, but when they've finished the Shard, and get cracking on that helter skelter and cheesegrater towers in the city it'll be even better.

Ben

CF Legend
^Why would you not think he's serious?

Just because some people appreciate architecture and don't have the IQ of a dead frog, doesn't mean they're not serious.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
^ Because these are the planned "buildings" that Smithy mentioned.

the_pinnacle_kpf270709_cityscape_4.jpg

I respect the fact that people's opinions may vary, but seriously. Building these structures in the same city as beautiful architecture such as Westminster Palace, Battersea Power Station, Tower Bridge and St. Paul's Cathedral is like remixing Justin Bieber with Beethoven.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Fully serious.

They're examples of stunning engineering, magnificent feats of construction and in a hundred years time they'll be looked at with the same sort of charm and nostalgia that those that you mentioned are currently.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
^ I'm guessing Justin Bieber will be looked at with the same sort of charm and nostalgia as Beethoven in one hundred years time too, then. It's quality, not age that counts.