What's new

Which movie could your #1 coaster be based on?

Sandman

Giga Poster
If you had to base your favourite coaster on a movie, which would it be and why?

You don't have to factor in the coaster's pre-existing themes (if it has one). So for example, Oblivion's theme doesn't have to influence your movie of choice. It could be a completely different aesthetic altogether.

My number 1: Taron
Movie theme: Mad Max

I think the fast pace and twisted layout of Taron would lend itself to such a film (if the IP was ever used).

I'm picturing a vast post-apocalyptic landscape with as much detail and variation as Klugheim. The ominous lighting during night rides remain. The smoke is turned up to 11.
Once you navigate your way through quite a tense queueline full of desolate items and structures, you board a train which resembles the iconic black GT falcon.
Boom, you launch straight into a ferocious sandstorm (thick smoke, warm lighting) before being hunted by violent biker gangs (lighting/sound effects).

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Difficult. My favourite coaster is SteVe, but I can't think of a particular movie that would suit it very well. Well... I guess you could theme any coaster to a movie simply by scattering a few props around the layout, but I suspect you're looking for a more in-depth answer than that.
So how about this: you take Taron and you theme it to Back To The Future. You turn the train carriages into little DeLoreans, complete with flux capacitors and time circuits. Regardless of the actual speed of the coaster, an onboard display tells you that each launch accelarates you to 88mph and boom, big flash of light and you're in Hill Valley, 1955. Clock tower, vintage american cars, manure truck, Marty on a skateboard etc etc...
2nd launch, 88mph again, boom, big flash of light and back to the present (or 2015) for the second half of the ride.

You know what, for something that I've literally just made up on the hoof, that's actually pretty good. Who do I call?

And also, any excuse... any excuse to get this piece of music into a theme park environment is fine by me. Just imagine this as onboard audio on Taron. 😮

Sandman

Giga Poster
Difficult. My favourite coaster is SteVe, but I can't think of a particular movie that would suit it very well. Well... I guess you could theme any coaster to a movie simply by scattering a few props around the layout, but I suspect you're looking for a more in-depth answer than that.
So how about this: you take Taron and you theme it to Back To The Future. You turn the train carriages into little DeLoreans, complete with flux capacitors and time circuits. Regardless of the actual speed of the coaster, an onboard display tells you that each launch accelarates you to 88mph and boom, big flash of light and you're in Hill Valley, 1955. Clock tower, vintage american cars, manure truck, Marty on a skateboard etc etc...
2nd launch, 88mph again, boom, big flash of light and back to the present (or 2015) for the second half of the ride.

You know what, for something that I've literally just made up on the hoof, that's actually pretty good. Who do I call?

And also, any excuse... any excuse to get this piece of music into a theme park environment is fine by me. Just imagine this as onboard audio on Taron. 😮

How did I overlook the mighty BttF?!

This would be so good. Although the franchise isn't as relevant today (debatably?) as Jurassic World, this (for me) would be way better than the VelociCoaster concept. Honestly, why has this not been done?!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Oh cool, so I guess I'm the first to respond for Steel Vengeance? ;)

Once Upon a Time in the West or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly feel apt movies for Steel Vengeance's wild west theme. There is a story arc technically behind Steel Vengeance, a trio of cowboys who are returning to Frontier Town after being run out by mean old Maverick (who is apparently Monsieur Candy from Django Unchained?); so anything that involves teams of cowboys or seeking vengeance hits the spot.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Oh cool, so I guess I'm the first to respond for Steel Vengeance? ;)

Once Upon a Time in the West or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly feel apt movies for Steel Vengeance's wild west theme. There is a story arc technically behind Steel Vengeance, a trio of cowboys who are returning to Frontier Town after being run out by mean old Maverick (who is apparently Monsieur Candy from Django Unchained?); so anything that involves teams of cowboys or seeking vengeance hits the spot.
I'm pretty sure certain parts of TGTBATU soundtrack can be heard around the Steel Vengeance ride area.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm pretty sure certain parts of TGTBATU soundtrack can be heard around the Steel Vengeance ride area.
Hah, you are right; alongside nice wild west homage, it does make an appearance at 4:23. Lord knows folks have heard it WAAAAYYYYYY too many hours while standing in line. 🤠

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Hah, you are right; alongside nice wild west homage, it does make an appearance at 4:23. Lord knows folks have heard it WAAAAYYYYYY too many hours while standing in line. 🤠

Don't actually remember hearing that bit but that's awesome. I was referencing 7.12 on that video which appears on the movies' final scene...

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Don't actually remember hearing that bit but that's awesome. I was referencing 7.12 on that video which appears on the movies' final scene...
The Ecstasy of Gold.

Planning on playing that when I finally drive around the back of the park.

Also, when I have a band, I’m planning to play that at the start of all our concerts. Nobody steal this idea, please.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Our 4 heroes have to save their illustrious leader when he is kidnapped by their sworn enemy Shredder, and held captive in a shopping centre somewhere in the New Jersey area.

Edward M

Strata Poster
The film to theme Lightning Rod on is so obvious it almost hurts:
That film is Bob Clark's 1984 smash hit Rhinestone
Rhinestone-780680891-large.jpg

Just picture it: YOU! are now the New York cabbie given a once in a lifetime opportunity to become a country superstar! Throughout the queue, Dolly informs us that, after she and Rocky made it big, they wanted to give all us cabbies a chance for the big time. But, if you're gonna prove yourselves as country artists, you gotta prove yourself as cabbies too. So Dolly and Rocky have put together the most difficult, insane cab route in the world, and, if us cabbies can safely drive the course, then we'll be given our chance. Us and our fellow cabbies strap into a classic 24 rider NYC yellow taxi and blast off into the Tennessee backroads for the wildest ride of our lives. Once departing our taxi, Dolly and Rocky congratulate us and tell us that now we're ready for the big time. All we need to do is follow our hearts and maybe, one day, we'll be performing in Dollywood.

The ride's name?
Rhinestone the Ride: the Real Gem is the Friends We Made Along the Way

James F

Hyper Poster
1: Helix

Movie: Ex-Machina

(for it's station building and for it being "sort of" set in the woodland.)

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
I wouldn't rule out Sharknado being the most comparable one ... Flying and twisting sharks, that's the closest possible comparison to a hyper coaster. And there is nothing you can do about that fact 🤣
For Sharknado, I would think Great White (Batman clone) at Sea World San Antonio would work better.

MyPetGhost

Roller Poster
If you had to base your favourite coaster on a movie, which would it be and why?

You don't have to factor in the coaster's pre-existing themes (if it has one). So for example, Oblivion's theme doesn't have to influence your movie of choice. It could be a completely different aesthetic altogether.

My number 1: Taron
Movie theme: Mad Max

I think the fast pace and twisted layout of Taron would lend itself to such a film (if the IP was ever used).

I'm picturing a vast post-apocalyptic landscape with as much detail and variation as Klugheim. The ominous lighting during night rides remain. The smoke is turned up to 11.
Once you navigate your way through quite a tense queueline full of desolate items and structures, you board a train which resembles the iconic black GT falcon.
Boom, you launch straight into a ferocious sandstorm (thick smoke, warm lighting) before being hunted by violent biker gangs (lighting/sound effects).
I visited Great Escape not too long back, and while it isn't my #1, Canyon Blaster would be really good with Tremors lol. It stays fairly close to the ground and the terrain and everything would make it really interesting.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Also not my #1, but I feel like Thunderbird at Holiday World would work well as Top Gun. The name is currently available, the launch could be themed like a flight deck, and best of all they could make gratuitous references to “You can be my wingman any time.”