Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Speed, Oakwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Takabisha, Fuji-Q highland

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
There has been some debate over whether or not I should do another of these, but I have finally decided that, (after some improvements) I will do another one... :--D

This time, it's between some of the newest Eurofighters...which, although the same model have pretty different layouts and theming...
To help you decide, here's some stats, pics and CF POV's...
Saw-The ride

Face your fears, in Thorpe parks 100ft eurofighter...with horrific theming! Saw-the ride has a great indoor pre-drop section and has amazing theming

saw3.jpg

saw2n.jpg

The drop and theming
dsc_0449_188.jpg

The rest of the ride...

Stats:(rcdb)

Length: 2362'
Height: 100'
Inversions: 3
Duration: 1:40
Max Vertical Angle: 100 Degrees

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djL8RjXZFyI&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Untamed

Canobie Lake parks newest ride in a very long time...This is a clone of Rage (and many others) and boasts decent theming, including themed supports!

Untamed-Roller-Coaster-Canobie-Lake-Park.jpg

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Some nice views of the ride
g12c00000000000000042e4007558dee2d0c8c5604ffa617caa9fbe8f6e.jpg

The loop and zero-G

Stats:

Length: 1184' 5"
Height: 72' 2"
Speed: 43.5 mph
Max Vertical Angle: 97 Degrees
G-Force: 4.5
Elements:
Loop
Immelmann
Zero-G Roll

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blHhDaRbxH8&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Speed: No limits

Speed is the tallest and longest eurofighter in the Uk...but does that make it the best?

speed_rollercoaster_big.jpg

speed.jpg

Layout
Oakwood-Speed.jpg

Does the airtime hill have airtime?

Stats:
Length: 2000'
Height: 115'
Inversions: 2
Speed: 59 mph
Max Vertical Angle:
97 Degrees
Elements: Loop
Heartline Roll

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wobNgk4h_og&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Dare Devil dive

New to SFOG!Dare to dive?

dare-devil-dive-AxIt.jpg

dare_devil_dive_area.jpg

Stats:
Length: 2099'
Height: 95'
Speed:
52 mph

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJi1jwpH7s&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Takabisha

Featuring the worlds steepest drop, a launch, aworlds first inversion and a 141ft lift hill!

the-fuji-q-highland-amusement-park-world-s-steepest-roller-coaster-takabisha-pic-afp-338856513.jpg

505836-takabisha.jpg

Stats:

Length: 3280' 10"
Height: 141' 1"
Inversions: 7
Speed: 62.1 mph
Duration: 1:52
Max Vertical Angle: 121 Degrees
Max Acceleration:
0 - 62.1 mph in 2 seconds
Elements:
Heartline Roll
Corkscrew
Banana Roll
Corkscrew
Dive Loop
Top Hat - Inside
Immelmann

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfCrookJNU&feature=fvst[/youtube]

Please forgive me If I have forgotten one!

Which do you think is best? :--D

Please reply! :--D

Brett7710

Mega Poster
I'd vote for Saw out of the above, the theming is well done and the indoor section sets it apart. Shame about the cattlepen queues.

What about Takabisha though? Surely that's in with a chance of being the best . . .

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Meh to most of them to be perfectly honest. I can't see anything in particular about any of these Eurofighters that makes me excited. They're not bad rides as such, but they all look to be missing something to push them above average.

From the ones I've ridden, give me Fluch Von Novgorod any day. That was genuinely fun. The launch was great, the enclosed drop and final section in the dark was pretty intense, and the theme was amazing, even though they hadn't fully finished it. I'm just disappointed that I only got to ride it once.

Takabisha looks interesting, but the incredibly long delay going over the top of the drop looks like it kills the pacing too much, plus too many of the elements look like a recipe for headaches.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
In response to the question within the description of speed, I remember there being plenty of airtime on the hill, the same with Saw too, shame you have OTSR to pin you into your seat.

I haven't had the pleasure of riding Fluch Von Novgorod, I visited Hansa Park before it was built as I was in the area, i'm hoping to go back there sometime.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
I voted for Saw as its the only one I've been on. Though going by POVs and photos i'm really liking Takabisha. I really have to ride more of these, I loved Saw.

Takabisha looks like the best ride for sure. You're leaving out things like Mystery Mine and stuff, though.

But yah, Takabisha, and as far as the ones that I have been on, I'd go with Saw.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know a lot about Eurofighters, I think I SAW one once, but didn't get to ride it.

But anyhow, to get to the point, I think this has to be the best "newbie poll" I've ever seen. Poll starter posts like that are few and far between: Rich with pictures, provides a POV for each ride, lists the stats in the post itself, and gives a quick summary of each ride as well. And the rides are even related, and fairly comparable. I have to say, I'm usually not a fan of "which ride is the best"-polls, but I have to say, great work, CoasterCrazy.

On topic, I think this shows how much Eurofighters have evolved over the years.
Untamed is an example of the "bog standard" version. The base Eurofighter inn all its simple glory.
Speed is an early attempt at making a big Eurofighter. It isn't as twisty as the later designs, and have a rather blunt airtime hill early in the layout. At the point of designing, Gerstlauer must have had a thing for bi-rail.
Dare Devil Dive is a newer generation of middle-sized Eurofighters. I can see this model become popular and pop up all over Asia/all over the Six Flags chain.
Saw stands out as a spiritual successor to Speed. Featuring both the iconic tower with the vertical lift and the even steeper drop, as well as a complete layout full of inversions, Saw is something of a "complete" Eurofighter, a giant among its kind.

When it comes to Takabisha, it is as if the designer team looked at Saw and said:
"Now, this is what I call an elaborate ride. I mean, look at Vildsvinet and see how far we've come!"
"Indeed. From a one-trick gimmick pony to a full-fledged ride. Look at all the inversions, the layout, the everything!"
"Do you think we could have made a bigger one? I mean, there's a limit to how much you can stick on this ride, right?"
"I don't think so. Let's find out!"

And so they did, and then they went to Japan to sell it.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
No Mystery Mine or Fluch von Novgorod on the poll? I am disappoint :(

Because, Fluch is the best... Better than Speed, Rage, Saw and the Mine of Mystery... Launch, theme, story, all excellently intertwined with a rather insane coaster, especially the second portion...

Ben

CF Legend
Which one's the shortest one so I can get off it and go ride something that isn't a disgusting Eurofighter <//3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm with Ben, I find the things like the worst kind of update of Pinfari Looper style rides. Cheap, tacky and usually pretty unpleasant. Okay, I've only been on three, but I would happily never go on any of those again.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
furie said:
I'm with Ben, I find the things like the worst kind of update of Pinfari Looper style rides. Cheap, tacky and usually pretty unpleasant. Okay, I've only been on three, but I would happily never go on any of those again.
Ben said:
Which one's the shortest one so I can get off it and go ride something that isn't a disgusting Eurofighter <//3
Really guys? I'm not going to say that theyre ever going to make one of the worlds best rides, but I much prefer them to many of the alternatives for a compact looper. I think the beyond vertical drop is a pretty decent start to the ride, the trains are comfortable, they're not rough, they have decent throughput. They can have a variety of different layouts + elements and some of the helix's come out pretty decent.

For a smaller park wanting a thrill coaster i'd say theyre a pretty good choice, i'd take one over a Boomerang or SLC anyday.

Ben

CF Legend
Brett7710 said:
I think the beyond vertical drop is a pretty decent start to the ride

It's alright. Until the pain starts.

the trains are comfortable

Comfortable like shoving shards of glass in my eyes is "comfortable".

they're not rough,

Yes they are.

they have decent throughput.

Saw has the worst major throughput at Thorpe...

They can have a variety of different layouts + elements

That's like saying "this beating was really fun because they used lots of different blunt objects to beat me"

and some of the helix's come out pretty decent

What a glowing recommendation.

For a smaller park wanting a thrill coaster i'd say theyre a pretty good choice, i'd take one over a Boomerang or SLC anyday.

See, I wouldn't. I like Boomerangs. At least I know what I'm getting with them. And they don't pretend they're the best things ever.

Eurofighters <//3

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
^ I'm not going to even bother quoting all that
I do like Boomerangs and SLC's as well (mainly because they were the first coaster I rode).
I didn't find Saw the ride as rough as many of the wooden coasters I've been on. I absolutely can't stand woodies, but I will ride them for the cred.

I think I liked Saw because it was so forceful and yes a bit rough. It may have just been all the theming and indoor part that got me pumped for the drop, if only it was a bit longer.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I like Euro-Fighters, but I'm sick of how predictable they are. All the drops are pretty much the same, the experience differing between them are hardly noticeable, that being said, their layouts are incredible versatile and can look nice with some theming. I'd pick a Euro-Fighter over an SLC/Boomerang anyday, especially if it's on the lines of Saw or Fluch.

On topic, I refuse to vote because sadly I've only experienced one of which is mentioned in the poll. And it was alright I suppose, but looking at the Japanese one makes me quiver, it looks pretty incredible!

Btw, as mentioned it's nice to see a poll like this here every once and a while, made with such enthusiasm and thought. Although I'd include all of the Euro-Fighters, don't limit them to 5 options, the accuracy of the poll will be way off.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Ben said:
It's alright. Until the pain starts.

Comfortable like shoving shards of glass in my eyes is "comfortable".

I've only been on Saw and Speed from the list above. But hearing you slag them off for being rough when you have this is your top 10:

7. The Ultimate, Lightwater Valley

Is the most ironic series of statements I have ever seen.

Ben

CF Legend
Ultimate doesn't hurt me, the Eurofighters do.

Failing to see the irony here...

Probably American irony... That is to say, not ironic.

But, great, if that's your entire comeback, I think it's safe to say I win.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
My opinion of them as a ride type is really all over the place. I've gone from thinking they were pretty cool, to loathing them and back again several times.

Having Saw at Thorpe, and thus at a local park where I can ride it regularly, exposed the reason why. Hour to hour, day to day, the ride experiences varies more than most coasters do. It varies so much that if you close your eyes, you'd really have no clue it was the same ride. From glass smooth swift movements to the worst kind of uncomfortable falling about roughness imaginable. How? And why? And.. Eugh.

I honestly get the impression that they are really, really poorly made. For whatever reason, they are incapable of coping with the track being too cold, or too wet... or, whatever it is that makes coasters feel different ride to ride. Crap, cheap wheels? I have no idea. Someone sort of no what I mean though?

They are seemingly incapable of doing anything except going up and down. When they turn, it feels... wrong. Really, really wrong. And that would be fine, except they insist on doing pretty much everything except what they are good at. It's like someone is going "we called it a Eurofighter, we better stick to trying and failing miserably at emulating a Eurofighter... Instead of developing a ride that's actually good".

I do feel like they are a really cheap trick and, like Furie said, not much up on a crap traveling pinfari looper. They are cheap, they tick some great boxes from a marketing perspective, I totally get why parks find them attractive. But eughggh. Even visually, they just look small and unintimidating. I don't see a scary vertical drop and inversions, I see a flimsy thing that flippantly picks up insane speed and looses it just as fast, failing to produce any force, failing to keep you comfortably in your seat, failing to throw you out of it at appropriate times, but happily chucking you out at some obscure angle you really don't want to be thrown in. They look awkward and they feel awkward. They make no intimidating noise, the look... light. I dunno, I can't explain it, they just don't visually communicate what I think a lot of parks buy them to communicate.

All this said, I actually really quite like Saw. Though, sometimes I'm all like, "lets go on Saw!" and we queue for ages and then get on it, and it's having a bad half hour. If we'd ridden it half an hour earlier, or later, it might have been absolutely fine. Perhaps it's car based? But it does seem like right at the end of the day, it improves massively, where as in the morning it's **** DIRE.

I think Speed has a really impressive first drop and that hilll is wow... but then it all goes to **** the second it turns.

This is why I recon Mystery Mine is probably atrocious. Even it's big vertical drop is twisted slightly. :(

The small off the shelf models are terrible. Absolute ****.

Saw is the best overall.

Martyn B

CF Legend
The pain caused on the Ultimate is a bit different from the experience of a Euro-fighter.

I enjoyed Rage.
I liked Speed: No Limits to a degree, but I kept coming off with a head ache (though no head banging...)
Saw would be good, but the unusual shuddering pain at the bottom of the elements is pretty unbearable for me.

So far, Rage would be my favorite.