What's new

Where are your closest ridden coasters North, South, East & West of where you’re based?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. I noticed the thread about what coasters you’ve ridden furthest away from where you’re based in the Northern, Southern, Eastern & Western directions, but I thought it might be fun to attack this question from the other end of the scale; which coasters have you ridden closest to you in the Northern, Southern, Eastern & Western directions? If you walked North, South, East & West from where you’re based, which of your ridden credits would you encounter first?

For me; I’m based in the Forest of Dean region of Gloucestershire, UK, so I don’t have any major theme parks right on my doorstep. This might seem strange, but I’m ashamed to admit that I haven’t actually ridden my closest credit… my closest credit is a caterpillar coaster in Brean Sands at just over an hour away, followed by the stuff at Brean Theme Park (never visited) at a similar distance, Funland at the Tropicana in Weston (never visited) near to that, and also Coney Beach Pleasure Park in Porthcawl at just over an hour from where I’m based (yet again, never visited).

With that in mind, my answers are as follows:
  • North: Rhino Coaster, West Midlands Safari Park (67 miles from where I live)
  • South: Dragon, Legoland Windsor (108 miles from where I live)
  • East: Rhino Coaster, West Midlands Safari Park (67 miles from where I live)
  • West: I’m unsure for this one. Creepy Crawler, Oakwood Theme Park (123 miles from where I live) is the closest cred to me that’s west of me, but Nickelodeon Streak, Blackpool Pleasure Beach (197 miles from where I live) is the “least west” cred from where I live. Which should I go for?
But which coasters are the closest to you in the Northern, Southern, Eastern & Western directions?

James F

Hyper Poster
I live in Greater Manchester, I used to live In East Manchester, but now I live in the west.

The closest coaster south of me is Antelope at Gulliver's Warrington. It's 11 miles away from where I live. As I child I used to go to Gulliver's alot, so I have plenty of memories riding the Antelope, despite it's small size it can be an aggressive ride. Since I don't have any children I haven't been back there for many years.

To the west its Rattlesnake at Knowsley Safari Park. About 17 miles away, I think I may of been of this opening year, which is the lowest possible flex you can have. Knowsley's felt alot more exciting as a child, nowadays I don't really like the idea of being stuck in my car looking at animals, but that's just me.

The east is a bit more tricky, back in the days of belle vue and the short lived Granda Studios Tour, it would of only been about 9 miles away. I believe the closest coaster to the east is "Grand Prix Racers" at the newly opened Gulliver's Valley Resort in Rotherham, South Yorkshire. About 85 miles away by car. Looks pretty good for a family coaster, I think the trains look way to big for the track though. Alternatively, you could drive an extra 10 miles for Lightwater Valley.

For the north it depends what you define as truly north as the closest parks are in a north west direction. I guess "Roller Coaster" at Southport Pleasureland is the closest, which is 30 miles away. I haven't been on it, but it looks painful.

None of these parks would I consider my home park though. Guillvers is for small children, Knowley's only has that one coaster and is of course primarily a safari park. Southport Pleasureland in it's current state is just plain bad. It's not an amusement park, it's a funfair that doesn't move, back when it was an amusement park I would of considered it.

I consider my home park to be Blackpool Pleasure Beach. It's 42 miles away and is one of the most easily accessible parks for me as it has great public transport links. Not to mention it's the closest major park to me.

R.I.P to the great Camelot theme park. I used to go there quite a bit as a child. That was only 17 miles away.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Haha, scraping the barrel a bit now aren't we? :p

So I've taken this to mean, which coaster is the closest North/South regardless of longitude and closest East/West regardless of latitude (and assuming a spherical earth)
North - DippieDoe Attractiepark (0.0353° latitude, 3.92km)
South - Legoland Windsor (0.0004° latitude, 0.05km)
East - West Midlands Safari Park (0.2567° longitude, 28.54km)
West - Funland Theme Park (0.4331° longitude, 48.16km)

Fun. :D

One comment:
For me; I’m based in the Forest of Dean region of Gloucestershire, UK, so I don’t have any major theme parks right on my doorstep. This might seem strange, but I’m ashamed to admit that I haven’t actually ridden my closest credit… my closest credit is a caterpillar coaster in Brean Sands at just over an hour away, followed by the stuff at Brean Theme Park (never visited) at a similar distance, Funland at the Tropicana in Weston (never visited) near to that, and also Coney Beach Pleasure Park in Porthcawl at just over an hour from where I’m based (yet again, never visited).
I would have thought Funland at the Tropicana would be closer than the stuff in Brean - it's further north, at least. Get on it mate, that's a +8 for only a couple of hours work. :p

Matt N

CF Legend
I would have thought Funland at the Tropicana would be closer than the stuff in Brean - it's further north, at least. Get on it mate, that's a +8 for only a couple of hours work. :p
As it turns out, Funland is actually nearer to me than Brean, at only a 55 minute drive from my house!

I won’t lie, I would quite like to visit Brean in particular at some point, as creds aside, some of the rides actually look pretty interesting; Crazy Loop would be my first ever Pinfari looping coaster, and Astro Storm is an ex-Blackpool ride with some apparently cool theming! I’ve also heard very good things about Brean’s ghost train, so maybe that would also be one to try?

Charlie's Circus 🙃

Roller Poster
Hi guys. I noticed the thread about what coasters you’ve ridden furthest away from where you’re based in the Northern, Southern, Eastern & Western directions, but I thought it might be fun to attack this question from the other end of the scale; which coasters have you ridden closest to you in the Northern, Southern, Eastern & Western directions? If you walked North, South, East & West from where you’re based, which of your ridden credits would you encounter first?

• West: I’m unsure for this one. Creepy Crawler, Oakwood Theme Park (123 miles from where I live) is the closest cred to me that’s west of me, but Nickelodeon Streak, Blackpool Pleasure Beach (197 miles from where I live) is the “least west” cred from where I live. Which should I go for?
But which coasters are the closest to you in the Northern, Southern, Eastern & Western directions?

Hello 🙂 These are the closest coasters to where I live. There are probably closer ones I've just not been on them lol

NORTH: Flamingo Land - Mumbo Jumbo/ Kumali
SOUTH: Alton Towers - Rita/ Oblivion/ Smiler
EAST: Fantasy Island - Millennium/ Oddessy
WEST: Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Big One/ Infusion/ Icon

Also Clifton Park, really small amusement park right next to where I live there's a coaster for little kids called log fall. :D IMG_20210727_124927.jpg

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Looking at rough directions rather than exactly north etc. (but close enough) and distances in a straight line:

North
Sky Fantasia is 3.1km away. However, the coaster there is SBNO and has been forever, so I've never ridden it. For a park with anything functional, it's Cultural Palace Amusement Park, which is across the border in Shenzhen and 27.8 km from my place. There's an amazing Golden Horse kiddy coaster there.

East
Not sure what to go with for this. Shantou is more north east really, so ignoring that and going in a stronger easterly direction, it would be E-DA World in Taiwan, which is 642.6 km away. I'm pretty sure the closest coaster there would be BIg Air.

South
Much easier. Ocean Park is 6.1 km directly south of my place. Hair Raiser is the closest coaster.

West
Another easy one. Hong Kong Disneyland is pretty much directly west, and is 12.8 km away. Space Mountain is closest.

Last edited: