What's new

Where are you on the spectrum of park/coaster fandom ?

Where are you on the park/coaster fandom spectrum

• Strict coaster enthousiast

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Primarily interested in coasters, but also in parks.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Evenly interested in parks/coaster

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Primarily interested in parks, but also in coasters.

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Strict park fan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

balrog

Mega Poster
Are you mostly interested in rollercoasters, or in parks in general ?
It is a point that I see being brought up over and over again. Mainly when people discuss which park they prefer. One will argue park A has a better line up, another that park B has a better atmosphere or is better overall.

Snoo

The Legend
Mostly coasters but down for a sexy park here and there. One of my favorites is Tivoli in Copenhagen. Meh coasters but beautiful overall. Love it.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Hmm. Hmm. I was quick to go for coasters with a hint of parks because coasters are what I spend most of the time looking at online/following construction/ comparing/counting.

But when I'm actually at a park, I'm enjoying all aspects of it. Obviously some rides are more important than others, and coasters are top of the list, but if I miss a dark ride I'll be just as upset as if I miss a coaster. And I'll get really attached to a park if I think it's good.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Even split for me.

Like Sue, I mostly spend my time online following coaster construction updates, I primarily look at what coasters a park has when planning trips, increasing my cred count, etc.

But when I visit parks, I like to explore everything they have to offer, from coasters, rides, shows, food, etc. And I don't like the idea of just popping into parks to pick up the creds then go.

For example, I enjoyed Plopsa Coo because despite them only have 2 creds, which were average, I enjoyed the other offerings of the park. And (annoyingly!) I didn't enjoy Liseberg as much as I thought I would, despite loving their coasters, which means I'm not that keen to return.

So yeah, even split for me - go for the creds, stay for the park.

Last edited:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
even here too! Can enjoy a day at a park with lots of coasters, but more of an amusement park (six flags etc.), and can enjoy a day at a well themed park just as much (family park in Austria).

I'm also a big dark ride fan - and when it comes to lesser parks, would be more likely to go for a +1 dark ride than a +1 big apple or similar.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'm originally a dark ride enthusiast, and the theatrics of theme parks is what got me 'into' the whole scene. I also don't count creds - and only go on coasters I think I will enjoy! I'm also happy visiting parks with no coasters - if theres lots of interesting things to look at and do!

saying that - I do love coasters!!

Sandman

Giga Poster
I enjoy coasters more than anything, but a great coaster in a **** park isn't as good as a semi-decent coaster in a fantastic park.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I didn't enjoy Liseberg as much as I thought I would, despite loving their coasters, which means I'm not that keen to return.
I'm sorry for your loss.

2nd one.
Coasters are the main driving force behind going somewhere if I'm honest. Coast2coaster exists for a reason. Drift2darkride should be a thing though.
Other rides and various niceties of a park can be great, but I struggle to think of any I'd go out of the way for a return visit that don't also have a killer coaster.
(Blackpool? Nah, too easy).

bmac

Giga Poster
Few years back I was more interested in the coasters at parks and the experiences they bring. After a few years working in an amusement park I've grown fascinated with how parks present themselves, along with their operations teams to see what they do compared to my experiences. I've developed more of a habit of planning to visit parks I haven't been to that seem interesting compared to ones with major coasters.

Doesn't mean I don't pay attention to the coaster though, I focus on both the second I join the line.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Somewhere in the middle. I can make do with a 'plonk coasters in a field's' type park but I prefer a little more personality and good organisation on the park's behalf.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
It's usually the coaster which draws me to the park, the obvious exception was Phantasialand before Taron. But nearly every other trip I can recall has been because of a cred, usually a good one. I still haven't been up to Flamingoland, and I'm pretty sure it's because it's full of ****.
When I'm at the park I'll usually try most of the attractions and enjoy it as a whole, sometimes a non cred will end up being my fave ride at the park.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Think of it like this: If theme parks were movies, then coasters are like the trailers for those movies. They're the draw, they're the best bits, the selling point, they are what makes us part with our cash and venture out to these places.
Coasters are to theme parks are what dinosaurs are to Jurassic Park. When you go to watch a Jurassic Park movie, what you wanna see is dinosaurs eating people, ie those bits that were teased in the trailer, correct? But if you get there and literally all you get is dinosaurs eating people for 2 hours, or it's one of those films where the only good bits are in the trailer, you're gonna come away thinking it was a pretty sh*t movie, right? That's where all the other stuff comes in. For a good movie, you need to care about the people being eaten, so you need a good story (or good theming), you need a great cast (or well trained staff), you need slick editing (or efficient park operations), you need a quality soundtrack (or good ride music), you need some cheap laughs (or some dodgems and a hook-a-duck) and, crucially, you need a talented director in charge like Steven Spielberg (or Roland Mack) and not some overpaid chump like Michael Bay (or Nick Varney).
And all of that needs to come on top of the amazing dinosaurs-eating-people scenes.

Basically, to cut a long story short, I voted for the middle one.

Last edited:

AshleyScared

Roller Poster
It's a mix for me. Six Flags New England has a few coasters I downright hate, but the atmosphere of the park is great in my opinion. Six Flags America, on the other hand, has awesome coasters but not too many trees or anything like that, but I still adore the park maybe more than I do SFNE.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Great metaphor @Howie ! I mean it :)

I enjoy both coasters and parks, but am primarily a coaster enthusiast. I can spend hours watching on-ride POVs and following coaster construction updates, but I'm not that interested in talks about park upgrades and developments.

I had very good days at both Six Flags New England and Efteling, despite each park being very different to the other. SFNE was mostly about chain riding Superman and Wicked Cyclone, while Efteling was more about enjoying the subtle charm and atmosphere of the place. Both nice experiences, but I think without Baron & Joris in the thrill department I would have been bored.

On the other hand, Walygator has quite an exciting Invert to play with, but the atmosphere is lacklustre. There's not much else to do there and half a day is probably enough to visit the park and do most rides. So I guess I do care about the soul and atmosphere of a park too.

EDIT: Now that I try to share my interest with non-enthusiast friends and try to bring them along. I definitely care more about that! I realise that immersive theming, an engaging atmosphere are definite arguments to convince friends to come. That's also what makes me slowly become a park enthusiast as well :)

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I chose the middle option... I LOVE me a massive bitching coaster, however I tend to have the nostalgia and love for a park as a whole. That's what will keep me coming back.

It probably also explains why I love Europa SO VERY MUCH. None of the coasters are particularly amazing on their own, but with the park alongside them and my general happy vibe, they turn into something much more exciting for me.

I also love an amazing theme park to help me escape my hella dull lawyer life. Bleak...