What's new

What's The Song You're Listening To Right Now?

Will

Strata Poster
You know that childish thing where you convince yourself that a song was written for you?

Will

Strata Poster
...I have vivid memories of the woman standing next me to in 2019 - and both of us singing to this with a frightening level of sincerity...

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I have an absolute belter to share (listening recommended, please do fight your presumptions).

They are certainly ‘fun’, but otherwise I’m mostly indifferent to the Scissor Sisters. However, squirrelled away, right at the back of their first album is an absolute treasure: ‘Return to Oz’.

Principally referencing the titular 80’s disturbing children’s film (which presents itself as the sequel to the much loved classic ‘The Wizard of Oz’), the song is an eerie, pensive, Bowie-esque nonsense that vaguely asks the haunting question: “when life promised such magic…. is this it?”

The reference is sublime - who could not feel anxious from ‘Return to Oz’ (the film) after the expectations conjured from watching the whimsical ‘Wizard of Oz’?

Drug references aside, there is a lot to relate to within the absurdity:

Is this the return to Oz?
The grass is dead
The gold is brown
And the sky has claws
There's a wind-up man
Walking round and round
What once was Emerald City (is)
Now a crystal town…

Sublime. A genuine contender for one of the best songs penned, in my book. Sadly, it remains hidden away and completely unknown as a curveball at the end of a flamboyant debut…

I would certainly recommend giving it a whirl.

Will

Strata Poster
They are certainly ‘fun’, but otherwise I’m mostly indifferent to the Scissor Sisters. However, squirrelled away, right at the back of their first album is an absolute treasure: ‘Return to Oz’.
I really like that.
In fact, I got so lost in it I've burned my breakfast.

Will

Strata Poster
...can't tidy out old drawers without getting the first verse of this in my head, now, can I?

Will

Strata Poster

...although the way I sing it, Madonna becomes Kat Prescott and Sinatra is substituted for Michael Jackson.

Will

Strata Poster
This doesn't sound at all like usual A7X, but I love it. Even the pretentious spoken word bit at the end.

Especially the pretentious spoken word bit at the end.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Answer: the entirety of The Weeknd's new album Dawn FM. Absolutely love the concept (and as I've described to others), it comes across as a radio station lifted from GTA Vice City, with Jim Carrey as the DJ.

Here's the first song, but list to the whole thing to pick up on the vibe:

Will

Strata Poster

Yeah, you know what I'm thinking...

I'm thinking 'Why the **** did the BBC once use this in a montage dedicated to Sebastian Vettel's car?'

Will

Strata Poster
I remember reading a review 14 ****ing years ago when this first came out. 'This is the band's attempt at a Nothing Else Matters-esque heartstring tugger. Unfortunately, the result is cheesier than Rhapsody of Fire on a pizza'

Will

Strata Poster
I'm not sure who is to blame, but I can currently hear a dance cover of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game.

That's very high on a list of 'things that don't need to exist'