What's new

What was the first foreign roller coaster you ever rode?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but as foreign travel seems to be quite a large part of this hobby, I would be interested to know; what was the first roller coaster you rode outside of your home country/state/region?

Mine was The Incredible Hulk Coaster at Islands of Adventure on 17th August 2014! I am yet to ride a foreign woodie, although there is a slim chance that I may be able to ride Mine Blower in April.

So, what was your first foreign roller coaster?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Mine was Big Thunder Mountain at DLP back in 2004.

First woodie outside the UK was Gwazi (I believe Lion, to be precise) in 2006.

Matt N

CF Legend
Genuinely not trying to be a knob, but why is there always an apology at the start of your posts? You really don't need to apologise if there's another post like the one you've made...
Thank you; I just don't want to get myself in hot water with the moderators, that's all!

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Thank you; I just don't want to get myself in hot water with the moderators, that's all!
Fair enough, but I don't think they're going to kick you off the site for accidentally posting something which has already been discussed? They're a decent bunch! Really no need to constantly apologise, it kind of distracts from the conversation you're looking to start.

I'll stop adding to the distraction though- my first foreign coaster was Montana Rusa at Tivoli World in Spain. Death trap!!

sirloin

Roller Poster
My first roller coaster outside of the US was Expedition GeForce. Heck of a ride to start with, haha. I can't wait to get back.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Put it like this: Over-apologizing is much more likely to annoy the mods than under-apologizing. Nobody else apologizes to the extent that you do (actually, you probably do it more than the rest of our active members put together), and you don't see us flying around scolding everyone for it. One has to be a major pain in the rear to provoke any major mod action, and that happens really rarely. Even warning people in the thread (always the first line of response) is something we rarely do.

So keep on apologizing if you want, or don't. It's not something we require anyone to do, and we don't mind much either way; you're not doing so much that it becomes a problem in itself.

Matt N

CF Legend
Put it like this: Over-apologizing is much more likely to annoy the mods than under-apologizing. Nobody else apologizes to the extent that you do (actually, you probably do it more than the rest of our active members put together), and you don't see us flying around scolding everyone for it. One has to be a major pain in the rear to provoke any major mod action, and that happens really rarely. Even warning people (always the first line of response) is something we rarely do.
Ah right. Thanks @Pokemaniac!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Think Black Mamba at Phantasialand for me. I know I visited during a Yr 8 school trip but can't remember the first thing I did.

First foreign wood would have been Robin Hood at Walibi Holland. (Also soon to be my first RMC!)

jayjay

Giga Poster
Think mine was Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom back in 2007. I've got some vague memories of passing by Windstorm at Old Town Kissimmee early on, but I'm 99% sure Space Mountain won. Not a bad coaster either.

Snoo

The Legend
Insane at Grona Lund in 2016. Had never been to Canada or Mexico up until that point so I started with a bang. Should have been to Canada's Wonderland well before that but yeah. I did go in 2017.. lol

_dezaster_

Roller Poster
I think it was Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom two years ago
A good ride but always been intrigued by Space Mountain at DLP.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Old man zone.
Dodgy travelling coaster somewhere in the south of France, near St.Maxine...1973.
As a bad traveller, I think three foreign coasters in my lifetime, other two in Spain, inland from Benalmadina, all ****e!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Matt you tool - we had a thread like this 12 years ago, that's 5 strikes of the paddle and a ban for you my friend. And PLEASE double, triple and quadruple check all 145 pages of General Discussions for similar threads before posting new topics in future. :rolleyes:

Ok, to answer the question (agaaaaain ;) ) I think mine was probably in Orlando back in 2003. Unless Wales counts. Does Wales count? It should do, I guess, it is technically another country, right? In which case it would have been the Jet Stream or the Water Chute at Rhyl back in the early 80's.
But seriously, the first coaster I rode in Orlando must have been the Hulk. Jolly good it was too. Didn't go to Busch Gardens on that trip so my first overseas wooden coaster would have been... lemme think, that little one that used to be at Efteling before Joris, what was it called? Pegasus, maybe? Yeah, that. But it was only little, first big one would have been Stampida in 2006.

Last edited:

rob666

Hyper Poster
But according to Matt...Scotland isn't a country at all...and we stuffed the Welsh before repeatedly beating up the Scots...
If Wales is foreign though, mine changes to the kiddy coaster at Pwllheli Butlins in 1966, around the time of the world cup victory, and my foreign coaster count goes up by a whole 33%