What's new

What was the coaster that helped you brave your fears, and what were they?

Ami

Roller Poster
Iron Dragon and Disaster Transport at Cedar Point, first inversions were on Double Loop at Geauga Lake and by the end of that day I was marathoning Dominator and officially obsessed and willing to ride anything

thepoweroften

Roller Poster
Mine was Nemesis Inferno at Thorpe Park. I know it sounds silly but I’m from England and not well-travelled outside of the country (and within the country I’ve only been to a few theme parks) so I was really anxious about getting on my first proper ‘extreme’ coaster. I loved it a lot though.

I’m still looking for a coaster that will finally break my fear of heights in a little though. Stealth is now the only coaster at Thorpe (my closest major park) I still haven’t plucked up the courage to ride but I’m planning on forcing myself onto it next time I go, if only because I’m studying in Japan next year and I know I’ll regret it if I chicken out of certain credits there because of my fear of heights. Wish me luck!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Mine was Nemesis Inferno at Thorpe Park. I know it sounds silly but I’m from England and not well-travelled outside of the country (and within the country I’ve only been to a few theme parks) so I was really anxious about getting on my first proper ‘extreme’ coaster. I loved it a lot though.

I’m still looking for a coaster that will finally break my fear of heights in a little though. Stealth is now the only coaster at Thorpe (my closest major park) I still haven’t plucked up the courage to ride but I’m planning on forcing myself onto it next time I go, if only because I’m studying in Japan next year and I know I’ll regret it if I chicken out of certain credits there because of my fear of heights. Wish me luck!
Good luck with that! Something I tell people to brave their fears of coasters, heights in particular, is that you will only be at that 205 foot peak for a few seconds at most. It's not like Stealth hovers around that height during the entire ride, it's bound to end sooner than you might think. On the topic of Japan, I know that there seem to be a lot of amusement parks there with very wacky and thrilling coasters; trying a few in Japan might help you ease your fear a bit before conquering Stealth.

Last edited:

hendrixmarshall

Roller Poster
Millennium for me. Before that , the biggest coaster I'd been on was Desperado. And Desperado was a giant leap from the previous biggest coaster I'd been on. (Twister?) Millie was A LOT bigger and narrow to boot. The straight up lift hill didn't help either. But seeing I drove all the way out there to ride it, (26 hours?) had to put my big boy pants on.

What scares me now are the high g "grey out" machines. I'm just older now, and can't afford to have my heart explode from over-stimulation is all.

emoo

Hyper Poster
...once you conquered your fear of Oblivion, everything after that has been a piece of piss.

It took ages to compose myself on that, I started riding about the time of its opening and was a slow start.

Then came the tall and slow lift hills with the Big One in 2007 and Silver Star 2008. Had the nerves listening the the lift hill chain dog clattering away and going higher than any reasonable person should ever do. Thankfully everything after the peak was more fun than fear so got over just about everything.

Only got pretzel loops and stand up drop towers to conquer now, and I wont rush into the latter.

DeathmetalmikeNL

Roller Poster
Black mamba! was the first coaster with inversions i went on!

was on a school trip and everyone went on and i didnt want to chicken out. lol
so i went on it and since then i havent seen a coaster i dont want to go on

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
When I was 8, I was pushed to T Express by my dad, but Im 16 now, and I push my friends to 200+ ft coaster, make my friends experience grayout or extreme forces
473f2316c623af13c8b77c67bb4b3850.jpg

나의 SM-A520K 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

cookie

Giga Poster
Rage at Adventure Island was me first braving an inverting coaster, and since then riding any coaster hasn't been an issue (though even before that I could ride any coaster of any height as long as it didn't involve inversions)

I still have issues with drop towers that tilt and I refuse most flat rides that spin while going high or fast — did Loke and Mechanica both at Liseberg last year and wasn't interested in doing either again after that, even during this year's visit when the park was as dead as it could be.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Little bit embarrassing I suppose, but for me it was MP Xpress at Movie Park. Before that, I quite literally hated going on any rollercoaster (even some kiddie ones), but since MP Xpress felt painful for reasons I didn't anticipate (thanks Mr. Vekoma), it convinced me that the reasons why I was afraid rollercoasters were bull**** all along, since I survived this mess of a Coaster just fine.

I knew a couple of things about Coasters back then, even that people hated SLCs, but for some reason I always thought it was just because there are so many of them and people were tired of riding the same thing, so I didn't see any issues back then in starting with that. Oh well.

Then a couple years later, I postponed riding Silver Star to the 2nd day of my trip to Europa Park, but after that, it really was only Highlander that got me close to shatting the bed. Glad I did it though.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Cedar Creek Mine Ride was my first "big kid" coaster that got me comfortable with riding roller coasters, after my dad took me on a traumatizing ride on Wildcat (Cedar Point) when I was younger that scared me off coasters for a number of years. After that, I quickly rode larger and larger rides, with Blue Streak and Raptor really cementing my overcoming fear of coasters.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Many different coasters helped me overcome my fears, but the ones that definitely helped me the most were Apollo's Chariot, Top Thrill Dragster, and Millennium Force. Apollo's Chariot helped me with through the restraints, and Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster were both 2 rides that I went on insanely scared, but came off with my hands up.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I always loved coasters, but was scared of them really until I was like 11, then X and Xcelerator happened. I was afraid of drops, and that was broken immediately on that downward flip on my first ride on X.

Game. ****ing. Over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Back in ye olden times, Corkscrew and Montezooma’s Revenge at Knott’s, and Revolution and Colossus at Magic Mountain seemed as if they were taking the world’s standard of coasters and launching it into hyperspace. I think everyone was terrified when these first opened.
Seems hard to believe now.

For me I was pretty scared of rides when I was little. I think my first coasters were what is now Scorpion Express at CWOA and Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland Paris (not sure which came first, even my parents aren't haha). They took a lot to get me on.
These were the ones that really got rid of the fear though.
Vampire at CWOA: My first coaster that actually had a fair bit of height off the ground (as BTM hugs the terrain it was less scary). This is the ORP from that first ride... I think my face says it all. I was ****ing terrified. (This was back in 2005 when I was 10).
IMG_20191014_233603213.jpg
Colossus at Thorpe Park: First coaster with inversions. I could now go upside down haha.
Stealth at Thorpe Park: The final nail in the coffin for me with regards to coaster fears.
Since then the only rides that have really given me any minor nerves at all are Red Force (still my tallest ridden coaster) and
Infusion (my first and only SLC. I was just nervous it might bash me about too much and ruin my day).

Last edited:

spicy

Giga Poster
Vampire was my first major coaster I ever rode too. It still had the awesome original Bat trains so it must have been around 1999. I remember being pretty scared in the station with the music and the creepy guy playing the organ but I loved it.

My first ever coaster with an inversion was Corkscrew AT around 2001 as I remember Air was still being constructed. It should have been Nemesis however I bottled it in the queueline and rode Corkscrew instead.

I enjoyed corkscrew, so I then managed to muster enough courage to go on Oblivion which scared the crap out of me so after that I thought Nemesis would be no problem and it's been my favourite coaster ever since.

The only coaster that had me a bit concerned in recent memory was Tower of Terror 2 at Dreamworld Australia. That was more down to me being worried about the potential maintenance issues I suspect it had though ?