What's new

What ride types would make up your ultimate one-two punch?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Often when looking at parks to visit, we enthusiasts are drawn in by parks with a really good one-two punch of attractions. Whether that is two coasters, or a coaster and a dark ride, or two dark rides or whatever depends on the park, but having a good one-two punch at the top end of its attraction lineup can really make a park appealing. Hyperion and Zadra, Steel Vengeance and Maverick, and VelociCoaster and Hagrid’s are some notable examples of renowned one-two punches, but any one-two punch of solid quality can make a park intrinsically more appealing. So my question to you today is; if you could pick two ride types to make up your ultimate one-two punch, what would they be? And I’d be keen to know; has your chosen duo come from the one-two punch of a real theme park giving you inspiration? Or are they simply two ride types you think would work well together?

I’ll get the ball rolling with my answer.

Personally, I’m going to go for a slightly unusual answer compared to what I sense most will pick. I’m going to pick a B&M Hyper Coaster and a GCI Wooden Coaster. Now I can sense you might be wondering “Where’s the RMC or multi-launch coaster? B&M Hypers and GCIs are boring as sin; why have you chosen those?”. Well, I happen to like both of these ride types a lot more than your average enthusiast (both B&M Hypers I’ve done are in my top 3, and both GCIs I’ve done are in my top 5), as I personally value fun, comfort and rerideability in a ride rather than out and out intensity, and I think these two ride types provide fun and rerideability in absolute droves! They’re also completely different styles of ride, so complement each other nicely; B&M hypers are elegant coasters, with a phenomenal sense of raw speed and huge sustained airtime, while GCI woodies are more erratic rides, with lots of quick pops of airtime and really fast pacing!

Also, I was very much inspired by Europa Park’s epic one two punch of Silver Star and Wodan. Both of these rides are in my top 3, and I always thoroughly enjoyed reriding the both of them at the end of a day at Europa Park. For pure fun factor, I don’t think you can get much better than a B&M Hyper and a GCI woodie, and I would likely have been quite content spending an entire day continuously hopping between Silver Star and Wodan! Europa Park’s Silver Star-Wodan duo is my favourite one-two punch of attractions from any theme park I’ve ever visited by some distance; those two are both truly epic rides!

But what ride types would make up your ultimate one two punch?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Giving myself the extra challenge of only doing ride types I've done, my personal choices would be a CCI wooden coaster and a Mack Multi Launch.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I'd say something like a B&M Flyer and an Intamin Blitz
Or a Wing and an RMC

One is intense, focusing on airtime inversions and transitions.
One is flowing, joyful and feels like flying.

If a park had both, they would speak to a wide variety of guests and both would have their stans.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Probably an RMC Hybrid/Woodie and an Intamin Blitz. I know that they are similar with airtime, intensity and out of control feeling but I can never get enough of the good stuff.

In a tight second place are B&M/Intamin/Mack hypers, Intamin/GCI/Gravity Group woodies and B&M inverts.

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
For me, an Intamin Blitz and an inversion-focused coaster, I'm torn between a Mack Spinning Coaster, a B&M Flyer or one of Vekoma's new flying model.

Now that I think of it, no wonder why I loved Phantasialand lol

Graeme

Roller Poster
For my non-looping ride I'd have a GCI Wooden Coaster - about 120ft tall and like a Prior & Church version of a "Cyclone" or double out & back. A big first drop in the centre of the layout alongside several camelbacks, and bulky turnarounds with large helices at each end (sort of like Mr. Twister or Twister II). I'd also want it to have that feel you can only get by dashing in and out of a mass of wooden supports. That said, I wouldn't mind the whole thing using Titan Track, if that would help with smoothness and long-term maintenance. I love woodies, but I'm not a purist about "shake, rattle and roll".

For my second ride, I'm very tempted to have a B&M junior hyper, but instead I'll go for a B&M Floorless. I'd want something very much like Kraken or Superman Krypton Coaster - 150ft tall, spread out and nicely landscaped with tunnels, alongside seven inversions including a giant loop, immelmann, dive loop and zero G roll. To me, multi-inversion coasters never got more appealing or luxurious than these.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
^ My first thought as well, but with an I-box. Put something like SteVe and Fury 325 in the same park and you’ve got the ultimate combo.

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
Intamin Giga and a GG monster a la Voyage/Shivering Timbers. I like Fury slightly more than i305 for my #1 spot, but I'd love to see Intamin take a 3rd crack at a giga. My three fav woodies are The Voyage, RFII, and Shivering Timbers. A GG creation that takes inspiration from all 3 would be a perfect complement.

Sandman

Giga Poster
This is an awful one to answer because I could pick so many.

I could easily go for:
Intamin (Blitz or Prefab Woodie) along with B&M (Hyper or Invert).

Honourable mention:
GCI Woodie (one of the bigger 100+ft variety)
RMC (need to try more)
Mack Xtreme Spinner (see above)