What's new

What is your favourite drop tower?

SimonProD

Mega Poster
I don't want something that is overly controlled like Mystery Castle, Tower of Terror, or S&S towers.

Generally I agree but have a soft spot for the Tower of Terrors - as you hang just by a seatbelt as its powers down faster than in a simple freefall. Thats the sweet part. I always try to make the seatbelt look tight over loose clothing and pushing my belly out so that my ass really lifts off a milimeter or two - sometimes I'm lucky and the attendent isn't that precise...

Will

Strata Poster
Mystery Castle and Tower of Terror are fantastic - but outside, they'd be mediocre at best (classic Phantasia), so I kind of treat those separately.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I recently finally joined the cult of tower of terror in California (so the guardians version). Loved it! Obviously Mystery castle is also great.

For the non-theatrical ones, I'd say Dalton Terror and Anubis for their prolonged air time. Hangover is also good. You also can't forget the ridiculous 1st gen Intamins although I'm not sure I'd say they were my favourites, just that they're one heck of an experience that should be tried!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Surprised that barely anyone mentioned Fritt Fall at Gröna Lund. I think it succeeds in every department that matters. It has an amazing view over the whole park, the sea and Stockholm, a very forceful drop and a fun tilting seat to spice things up. I love Mystery Castle too for its oppressive and eerie atmosphere and just how surreal it feels seeing people in the rows opposite of you just floating in the air in front of you at the top. There's nothing quite like it.