What's new

What is working at an amusement park like?

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
I recently got a job at my local "amusement park" (It's more of a stationary carnival, nothing special. The best ride there is monkey cages). I start in 2 weeks as a ride operator for big and kiddie rides. I'm very excited and nervous. What is it like operating at an amusement park?

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
It can be exciting, frustrating, rewarding, exhausting...much like almost every hourly entry level job out there.

For every drunk asshole that wants to start a fight with you because his kid is too short you have a kid who is tall enough to ride for the first time and that excitement radiates in the area.

Depending on your social adeptness you could make great friends, and depending on your workplace demographics will probably have a physical relationship with someone else at your ride.

Gotta say if you get into this industry, you are doing it because you love it, and not the money. Depending on the park you could see crazy hours for 3 months, then the park closes or summer ends and you are down to a shift a week. Not to mention most regional parks have very few FT positions with benefits.

trav

Mega Poster
^Pretty much sums it up. You will get abuse, you will get angry guests and you will get complaints, probably many of them. But on the flip side, you also get so many people who enjoy themselves, so many people who interact with you and want to talk to you, ask you questions and are just generally very pleasant towards you.

The best thing you can do is try and drown out that abuse with the thoughts of those who enjoyed their time there. People seem to forget that others who work at the park are human, so they might be having a bad day, or that there are rules that everyone has to abide by that they want to pass, maybe to get a quicker ride than others (On a particular ride I operated, there were actually 4 ways to get to the station, only one of them being the regular entrance with the queue, but people would come down every pathway and claim they 'didn't know' and try get on anyway).

Another thing to point out is that most people who work at a Theme Park are only doing so temporarily. Even the assistant managers and area managers, they very rarely stay there for years on end because it's not a reliable job to have, and the work you put in is so huge compared to what you get paid, so like the above poster said, you have to really want to be in the industry to work somewhere.

One thing to note though, and I'm not sure if this happens at every park but I know it certainly happened at the one I worked at, is that favouritism is everything. The assistant managers have their favourites, and those favourites are the ones who will get the new rides, or they'll be the ones who get the best jobs to do. Of course, favouritism happens everywhere, but so much more so at theme parks from my experience. The fact that it's a seasonal job also means that you don't have job security, so you don't even necessarily have to do anything wrong to lose your job, you just have to be disliked by a manager.

Honestly, I'd say that it's a job that people should have at least once in their life. It is fun in parts, but it is also incredibly draining, very bad pay for the hours and effort required, and you just aren't appreciated, as an employee by the higher ups, or as someone who works there by the guests. Managers know that they can replace you at the end of the season with someone new, and guests seem to expect you to be some sort of robot most of the time, expecting nothing to ever go wrong. But, I wouldn't say to be in that sort of job for more than a couple of years at most, it's not a job anyone should aspire to have for their whole life.

bmac

Giga Poster
Just finished my first day on the job yesterday. You shouldn't really worry about the guests as a whole, just when someone's mad apologize tons and try to sort things out fast so you can get back to your responsibilities. You should not try and remember every guest you encounter throughout the day, but if there's someone you remember from earlier in the day (like they rode the ride earlier and are back for seconds) don't hesitate to welcome them back, they love that.

With a park like Great Adventure people will get mad at the guests who have the exit passes and get into their row without waiting, especially if it happens repeatedly. It's very tasking being the one who isn't in control of that and having to handle the mad riders. You'll also get the people that enjoy being pissed off for the sake of being pissed off, as in they'll get mad just because you pushed down on their harness a little hard and they want to kick you in the shins for it. Working on a floorless coaster means it happens OFTEN.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
As a ride-op, you carry the objective of repeating the same task over and over, in as safe and efficient a manner as possible.

The one kink in the system is that you have to deal with guests, who have an inherent ability to complain and make everything slow in general. :razz:

It is really where the rubber meets the road as far as guest experience is concerned. Ride ops can both make the day for guests, or ruin the experience completely.

I worked in Guest Services at Cedar Point, and dealt both with guests who praised operators for their kindness and efficiency, and guests who demanded the resignation for all CP executives because they were stapled into their seat.

It is an interesting job with its own dynamic, that you can never really prep for. However, I have a number of friends who thrived in the environment, and have fond memories of working with rides.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
rollermonkey said:
We always said that it would be the best job ever, if it wasn't for the guests.
:)

PFFT. For every obnoxious ass that gets in your face their is a hottie that wore white shorts and just got off the water ride. :shock:

But seriously this cant be emphasized enough... the average human is complete scum at a park and makes you wish we would start a nuclear war with Russia and start over.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Yeah, that's a generalization. When it comes to guests, there's good experiences and bad.

Good: Seeing some little kid's eyes light up as they ride something for the first time, and love it.
Bad: Watching in horror as a girl, by direction of her parent, drops trou and pisses on the asphalt next to your ride.

Yeah.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
rollermonkey said:
Bad: Watching in horror as a girl, by direction of her parent, drops trou and pisses on the asphalt next to your ride.

Yeah.
Do you just go with the rider puke protocol on that one? :razz:

trav

Mega Poster
I never had piss, but I did have a 'code brown' once.

I'm sure you can guess what that was. A lot of downtime that day.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Will depend massively on the park. I've had 7 rides before in the same season at a park which moves staff at least twice (but often as much as 4) times a day. That isn't particularly repetitive.

I liked it. It's certainly not your average job. I like the all weather nature of it, dealing with complaints, breakdowns, etc.

As for voms, poos and piss, in 4 years only dealt with cleaning up one vom! Lucky. But I put my hand in one on a restraint once... Heugh.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's a good laugh for a few seasons if you're young and you just need something to do for the summer.

It's not a career though, and there's not much of an opportunity to move up the ladder, at least not for the vast majority of people.

D1993

Hyper Poster
It totally depends on the park.
After 2 full seasons working at Cedar Point, I can say that it was extremely fun and rewarding for me. Of course there were bad days and guests were annoying (what job is perfect and worry-free anyways?).
The pros massively outweighed the cons for me.
It's also where I learned how boring Intamins can be to work on and how much fun Arrows and B&Ms are.