What's new

What Is The Most Overrated Roller Coaster?

BBH

Giga Poster
People tend to rank it as one of the best Batman clones but either they haven't ridden it recently or I have reason to worry about the other Batmans.

Posted while reading your mind.

ignace

Mega Poster
Batman@Madrid is awesome <3.

Most overated, in no specific order:

- Vliegende Hollander
- Rock & Rollercoaster
- Black Mamba
- Wild Mouse in Blackpool
- Colossus
- Tonerre de Zeus
- Abismo

therick311

Mega Poster
BBH said:
People tend to rank it as one of the best Batman clones but either they haven't ridden it recently or I have reason to worry about the other Batmans.

I found it rougher than the SFStl clone.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
BBH said:
Ah, didn't realize you were comparing that specific Batman to the others. I thought you were talking about the Batmen as a whole.

BBH

Giga Poster
StL will probably be the next Batman I ride so I'll have to see how one of the newer ones compares.

Posted while reading your mind.

therick311

Mega Poster
I can tell you right now it's going to feel bizarre turning right off the lift. I'm so used to the mirrored layout, that when I went to Great America it was strange to turn left.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I couldn't disagree more with the Goliath statement.

I rode it last month and I can see why it isn't a typical top 10 coaster, but I do feel like it's underrated. The reason I didn't rank it above more coasters was because of the blatant lack of airtime (and I rode in the back) and lack of theming or vegetation carried over to the main ride area. It's the only Giovanola I've ridden and I loved it. Up the the MCBR was a bit bland but afterwards I was seeing grey spots and felt the blood sucked out of my arms. I like it more than Tatsu to be honest.

As for what I find overrated, I'd have to say Kumba at BGT. It felt like a typical B&M with no surprises and a bit of headbanging. I loved the theming but that was really the only thing it had going for it. I felt like some of those cookie-cutter B&M elements were the same abominations that make Scream at SFMM the awful ride it is (the cobra roll and zero-g roll). It's beautiful to speed through the jungle, the interlocking corkscrews look gorgeous, but it's your average B&M and I feel like it's generally rated higher than most others.

therick311

Mega Poster
2012Jarrett said:
As for what I find overrated, I'd have to say Kumba at BGT. It felt like a typical B&M with no surprises and a bit of headbanging.

I agree. I liked it, but it's not top 10 material. It felt like your average looper to me.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
therick311 said:
2012Jarrett said:
As for what I find overrated, I'd have to say Kumba at BGT. It felt like a typical B&M with no surprises and a bit of headbanging.

I agree. I liked it, but it's not top 10 material. It felt like your average looper to me.

I disagree everytime I've ridden Kumba it has been forceful with no head banging. IMO Kumba is a brilliant coaster, the elements and drop are superb.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
How is de Vliegende Hollander overrated? It doesn't even get much praise, and aside from Wodan, it has better theming than any other coaster I've ever been on. The coaster part is lame yeah, but that's not what the ride is about. What I find a lot more disappointing about the ride is how often the special effects don't work.

I personally find Goliath in Walibi Holland a bit overrated. I love the ride, but after the stengel dive it really isn't that special anymore. It's basically just the first three elements that are fantastic, the helices are boring and the bunny hops are fun. And when I rode Silver Star, it had more airtime than Goliath has ever had.

Edward M

Strata Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
therick311 said:
2012Jarrett said:

I disagree everytime I've ridden Kumba it has been forceful with no head banging. IMO Kumba is a brilliant coaster, the elements and drop are superb.

I completely agree. It's the most impressive coaster I've ridden. It's the only coaster I've rode that is non-stop insanity. It seems like a perfect coaster.

As for overrated coasters, I felt that SheiKra was overrated because while the drops were very impressive, but the rest of the ride was very underwhelming. For such a large ride, it seemed to sort of meander through the inversions and banked turns.

^ In regards to Kumba, I thought it was pretty forceful and good for that type of coaster, but I'm not a fan of that type of coaster anyway so for me it was just kind of average. I wasn't overly impressed by it, but I have to say that Montu was a pleasant surprise regardless of the hype that usually surrounds it.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ In regards to Kumba, I thought it was pretty forceful and good for that type of coaster, but I'm not a fan of that type of coaster anyway so for me it was just kind of average. I wasn't overly impressed by it, but I have to say that Montu was a pleasant surprise regardless of the hype that usually surrounds it.
I don't think it's an awful ride at all. I quite enjoyed being flung around the drop, the loop around the lift was sick, and the jungle setting and cobra roll interaction with the rapids queue made the ride unique. I much prefer a nice, smooth coaster with the illusion of speed that interacts with its surroundings well (YOLOcoaster, Cheetah Hunt, and Millennium Force are all good examples of my ideal type of coaster) than one that exists more to subject riders to crazy forces and the illusion of danger that flings them around upside-down (though I DO still appreciate that type of coaster, just look at Banshee and X2 in my top 10). I just felt like Kumba was rough (and I rode it in the front, middle, and back and that didn't change all day) and the inversions didn't feel surprising at all, with the exception of the zero-g roll. I think that it's an amazing coaster, but not a stellar coaster like others think.

I felt like Montu lived up to my expectations. I walked onto it (literally, they were only running one train and you could just hop onto the middle rows =D> ) and I knew it was one of the top-rated B&M inverts and that's exactly what I got; a ride experience that rivaled the one I got on Afterburn. Banshee ultimately overtook it for me, but I still loved it and I'd be ecstatic to go back and ride it. I feel like it's rated exactly as it deserves to be.

Another B&M I'd like to mention here would be Tatsu. Anybody that knows me will gladly tell you that flyers of any kind scare the **** out of me. I can count the number of times I've ridden my home park's (Firehawk) on one hand for that reason. However, I felt like the whole time I was just waiting for the ride to pick up the pace and "Fly at the speed of fear" like the tagline suggests. Sure, it does then hit the pretzel loop and that was nice and intense and I was coughing when exiting the element, but then it was just a slow, boring ride with you dangling in your restraint waiting for it to get exciting. My issue with this one isn't that it's not doing what it's marketed to do (for example, YOLOcoaster is more of a fun, smooth, graceful ride like Cheetah Hunt or Wild Eagle but is marketed as a white-knuckle thrill ride like X2 or TTD and I still like it for what it does in reality) but what it does do is an absolute snorefest. Just crawling through inversions that you can't even see, dangling in those restraints waiting for it to start soaring instead of crawling. I was really disappointed because I was expecting a good flying sensation out of this one that could cure my fear of flyers but instead I got something that crawled around a steel track atop a mountain without showing you any decent view with a random awesome inversion to break up the monotony. I had fun on it, but I was really expecting more. Had it done more dipping around and been more of a combination of what it is now and Starry Sky Ripper I might have ranked it a lot higher. :?

CanobieFanatic

Roller Poster
Nitro.
The airtime is pretty mediocre, it's only reriding values are the drop and high-G turn(s), both of which can be found better on El Toro.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
2012Jarrett said:
Had it done more dipping around and been more of a combination of what it is now and Starry Sky Ripper I might have ranked it a lot higher. :?

Totally agreed with you there Jarrett; having ridden Air and Manta, I found they were both rather dull, with quite uninspiring layouts. Until Starry Sky Ripper (or whatever you want to call it), debuted, I just felt the existing models failed to reach their potentials to be some of the most intense coasters on the planet. Air, frankly, is just a meander round a park - whilst it's great as a family ride, it's just too sedate to be classed as one of Alton's 'bigger' rides. Manta, just like Tatsu, gets off to a 'flying start' :wink: with the positives on the drop and the insane pretzel loop, before entering a higher section with a few inversions, where it just does frankly nothing. It's a beautiful coaster, but I rate Smiler above it for a more consistent ride experience.

My problem with those B&Ms is that they've attempted to stray too far from their other model lines. For instance, if they just put flying trains on an inverted layout bar a pretzel loop, I'd have few complaints. Unlike flying dutchmans and Starry Sky Ripper, which feature vertical loops, Flyers have few 'conventional' B&M elements, like immelmans for instance. That's where Starry Sky Ripper excels.

In terms of the Kumba debate, I'd like to commit a deadly sin and say that I thought Montu to be quite average. The tunnel and immelman were fantastic, and the batwing was unique, but the rest of the layout, whilst it was big, felt a bit mediocre. However, that said, I was only 14 and rode it only a few times in the middle rows. Am I missing something there? On a similar note, I was expecting huge forces on Sheikra's pullout, but got almost none.
Kumba on the other hand, was rough, yes, but it was a small sacrifice for the intensity and forces in the layout. It just seemed to fly through the layout, especially the corkscrews. I suppose that's natural variation for you.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I would agree that Kumba is overrated. I find it one of the rougher B&M coasters and tbh I didn't find it to be particularly forceful compared to most of them. I would say Dragon Khan better fits the descriptions that people give Kumba considerably better, but even that is still a bit rough.

Revenge of the Mummy is another one. I never find it very memorable and although the theming is great, I think it is just a bit average. Van Helsings Factory is definitely better IMO.

Finally, pretty much all the major Schwarzkopf coasters I've ridden, expect for Jetline (i.e. Lisbergbanan, Olympia Looping, Alpina Bahn etc). They're all decent, but I can never understand why people rave about them so much. Especially the Lisebergbanan. The fact that people say it is better than Balder astounds me. It's slow, forceless and has basically no airtime, so I don't understand the love for it.

CoasterCrazy said:
I'd like to commit a deadly sin and say that I thought Montu to be quite average.

A deadly sin in an understatement of what you have just committed :)

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
CookieCoasters said:
CoasterCrazy said:
I'd like to commit a deadly sin and say that I thought Montu to be quite average.

A deadly sin in an understatement of what you have just committed :)

Yes, yes it is :wink: ... one of the many reasons I feel a need to reride it at some point in the future! You're right about ROTM too. The incredible theming attempts to, but cannot detract from an otherwise small, weak and in some places rough ride experience.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I got a new one for me, KINGDA KA!!! It is even overrated by the people who say it is just meh. It is so rough (even the front row ain't that pleasant), that I just found unpleasant and disappointing. Tbh i'm not sure I'd ever ride it again.

Colossus

Giga Poster
CookieCoasters said:
I got a new one for me, KINGDA KA!!! It is even overrated by the people who say it is just meh. It is so rough (even the front row ain't that pleasant), that I just found unpleasant and disappointing. Tbh i'm not sure I'd ever ride it again.

Yeah I'll agree with that, I was quite underwhelmed by the whole experience, again, also very uncomfortable.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Saw the ride is too overrated its one them things where after the inside section it gets rough and boring making it mediocre.