What's new

What is so good about Boulder Dash?

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
I see that a lot of coaster enthusiasts say that Boulder Dash is their favourite coaster. I would like to know what makes it so good. I have to say, it looks fantastic in the way it hugs the terrain of the hill it is built on, and at times it looks like there is a lot of airtime, but what makes it stand out from the crowd?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
[Moved to Polls and Opinions]

Where to start? Boulder Dash is, to me, everything a coaster should be. It's fast, it's unpredictable and it's forceful. There's very little way to work out, or prepare, for what's coming up next, one minute you're careering up the hill side, next minute you've got massive ejector around a corner.

The location also helps. It's so close to the ground all the way it feels very quick. Then there are all the trees and boulders that are flying past which again add to the sense of speed and out-of-control-ness.

At night it's just plain mental!

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
Hixee said:
[Moved to Polls and Opinions]

Where to start? Boulder Dash is, to me, everything a coaster should be. It's fast, it's unpredictable and it's forceful. There's very little way to work out, or prepare, for what's coming up next, one minute you're careering up the hill side, next minute you've got massive ejector around a corner.

The location also helps. It's so close to the ground all the way it feels very quick. Then there are all the trees and boulders that are flying past which again add to the sense of speed and out-of-control-ness.

At night it's just plain mental!

That sounds really good! Is the theme park (Lake Compounce is it?) any good or is it worth going just for BD?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The park is quaint, but it's nothing special. It's worth it for Boulder Dash alone, especially if you stay into the night. :D

Snoo

The Legend
What Hixee said. I rode it before most of the hoopla began over it and holy crap did it blow me away. Definitely one of the biggest shockers I've ridden. It shot straight to my top 2 and those night rides in the front? #1 without a doubt. Plain wonderful coaster.

Snoo

The Legend
It always comes down to personal flavor. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of woodies until I rode El Toro, and now half of my Top 10 is made from trees. Experience and how YOU feel goes a long way.

Dash doesn't go easy but doesn't kill you. It isn't rough but not smooth. It really is the perfect kind of woodie tbh. You know your on a woodie but it doesn't make you want to cry after.

Plus that airtime.. oo lord that airtime.

Colossus

Giga Poster
I am going on a north American tour in 2013 to parks such as CP, Hershey and SFGA to name but a few and of all the awesome coasters there are in those parks I am looking forward the most to Lake Compounce to ride Balderdash. Words cant describe how much i cant wait to experience what that ride has to offer.

A

Anonymous

Sounds a bit like early Thundercoaster at Tusenfryd, before GCI got there and destroyed the ride...

And if it is then I really have to ride it...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
loefet said:
Sounds a bit like early Thundercoaster at Tusenfryd, before GCI got there and destroyed the ride...

And if it is then I really have to ride it...

Almost... I wanted to love Thundercoaster, but those vibrations killed it. It still stands out as being a superb coaster though when we rode it. Boulder Dash though was just shocking. I'm sure there were points I still hadn't touched the seat from one point of airtime as crested over another hill and threw me out of my seat again.

Above all though, it's fun, plain and simple. You want a coaster to make you come off with a big smile on your face, and it does it. It's fast, exciting, surprising, unexpected, relentless but just bags of fun. The problem is, it's now over-hyped and everyone will be expecting the greatest thing ever, something indescribable. Don't expect to be utterly blown away, but expect a damn good ride and you'll be fine.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yeah. Basically. During the day it's pretty tough to work out what's coming next, and night it's just plain mental. <3

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, and obviously, it's been running all day, so is faster anyway. But, in general, it's just amazing not being able to see what's coming. And it's totally dark because of where it is.

Thundercoaster is nowhere near in the same ballpark as Boulder Dash. Pretty much because it's terrible.

I can't remember much hype around the time I rode Boulder Dash, it seemed to be around 08 when it just exploded. Probably helps it was just after the re-tracking, and, obviously, as soon as I start liking something, the rest of CF swiftly follows ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Thundercoaster is nowhere near in the same ballpark as Boulder Dash. Pretty much because it's terrible.

Did you ride it pre or post retracking? When we rode it in 2007, it was almost brilliant. It was wild, fast and had masses upon masses of airtime - all completely ruined by a nasty vibration.

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
You guys are always talking about airtime, but (living in England) there are basically no coasters with noticable airtime. I have only been to theme parks in england and Florida, any coasters I would have rode with airtime?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It depends on the type of airtime.

Speed at Oakwood has a mass of ejector airtime on the airtime hill (though it may cripple you depending on how well you fit the restraints). Then also at Oakwood you have Megafobia which gives some great ejector on the first and second drops.

Blackpool has Grand National, with some superb ejector if you're in the right train and it's not trying to tear your spine out through your ear, and Wild Mouse probably has some of the best ejector in the world. Big Dipper and Nick Flyer can have a spot or two of mild ejector/strong floater if you're lucky.

Alton Towers has Rita for ejector, but like Speed, you'll be pinned. Oblivion has some bizarre floatery type airtime on the drop.

There are probably others too, but they're the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Head into Europe and the world is your oyster. There's a mass of airtime machines all within a 1 hour flight or so of your local airport. There's airtime right on your doorstep.