What's new

What is it about Hydra?

BBH

Giga Poster
Hydra: The Revenge at Dorney Park seems to get a bad rap from the enthusiast lot, and I've never quite understood why. It has an interesting layout with unique shaping and a one-of-a-kind first element. Of course, I've never ridden it myself and can't testify to the ride experience itself, but it looks like a perfectly fine ride.

Can somebody enlighten me?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It looks good, but it's just a really dull ride.

Worst floorless after that boring piece of crap in Denmark, and definitely in my bottom 5 B&Ms.

Intricks

Strata Poster
It has a nasty rattle that really grabs your attention. The smoothest part of the ride is from the Station to the turnaround-thing (dive loop?), and after that it just gains this rattle that I have found on Intamin rides, but never experienced before on a B&M.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Both MouseAt and Intricks pretty much summed it up. Although it isn't the most exciting ride, like Gavin said, it's the roughness/rattle that keeps it from matching any of the other B&M floorless coasters. This shouldn't be the case when others are buttery smooth.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
I love it. The only part I didn't like about it was the ride op threatening to kill himself as I was boarding.

I would put it above scream and Medusa but below most of the other floorless coasters.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
I think Hydra is fine. Now dominator, I don't get why people like that. Its so...rough. In my opinion it shouldn't even make the top 3. Rebel Yell is superior to it. But I like Hydra. It's unique. Gotta give it some points for uniqueness.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure where an roughness has come into Dominator, it was almost bland.

Hydra though. Eugh. I hate hang time, so the Jojo roll was nasty. It then got worse. It just rattled and rumbled it's way around. That's all you got from the ride - vibration. All forces were lost under it all, all fun and excitement. It was crap, plain and simple.

Jake

Strata Poster
I thought it was fine back in 2008. Even then though, everyone seemed to hate it apart from me. It wasn't the best thing ever, obv, but I didn't find it offensive really. It's not very forceful but not many forcelesses are, let's face it. Maybe I'm just a freak because I really liked Dorney as a whole.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yes, you are.

Apart from Talon, Dorney is a **** ing hole.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, Steel Force is a bit like your nan. She's old, but lovely. Gives you biscuits and a cuppa and nice present every now and then - but you don't want to spend a night out on the piss with her.

andrus

Giga Poster
I really enjoyed Hydra :--D It was unique and had a very nice mix of negatives and positives (which B&M's usually lack). The only downside was, as already pointe out, that it was rattling quite a bit. Hydra was by far the best ride at Dorney (what a dump ><) and is my favourite floorless as well!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I got you an early Christmas present:

images

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
The ride is just not great to be honest. One thing I did not like was the Cobra Roll, it was not good. The roll at the beginning was good, but nothing to make the ride stand out. I found the layout to have unique elements, but nothing special. The ride also seemed quite small. I don't know what it is just the shaping of the inversions were not very good. The only thing I liked was the non slanted drop (if thats the right way to word it). I found it boring which was the real issue. Not a bad ride, but not the best in the park. Atleast they have Talon to make up for it.

D1993

Hyper Poster
I find it sad that everyone hates on this ride so much, because I really enjoy it!
I don't know if Dorney is just terrible with maintenance and never replaces their wheels (but then why would Talon not have the same problem? Idk ....) but I found Hydra to be pretty dam smooth. It wasn't intense, but more like this little itty bitty floorless coaster that was just fun. It wasn't crazy or full of forces and intense, but for me I found it was a rather enjoyable coaster! Maybe its got to do with seat choices or a certain train, but again, I found the ride to be perfectly smooth.