What's new

What do you like to cook in your kitchen?

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Quite simple really, what do you like cooking. I, myself find the simple meals the best like sweet and sour chicken. So what do you prefer, or do you just use the humble microwave for EVERYTHING?

Lottie.

Mega Poster
Anything I fancy really depending on whether I can cook it and if my family want to have some as well hehe.

Spaghetti Bolognese, Chilli Con Carne, Mexican such as fajitas etc, Sweet and Sour Chicken... there's a few dishes I can cook. ^.^

Does this topic also include baking cakes and stuff? LOVE baking! <3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mushroom said:
Quite simple really, what do you like cooking. I, myself find the simple meals the best like sweet and sour chicken. So what do you prefer, or do you just use the humble microwave for EVERYTHING?

[schild]I only ever cook things in the bathroom[/schild]

Smithy

Strata Poster
Mince. Anything with mince I excel at. Bolognese, Chilli, Tacos. Can do most basic stuff, don't really cook much of a variety of meat though.

Lain

Giga Poster
I'm pretty adept at pouring a tin of soup into a bowl and then microwaving it.

I also make a mean slice of toast.

I'm not half bad at oven chips either. cool)

Mike

Giga Poster
I'm an expert at both types of cooking... Overcooking and undercooking. :)

I'm also not bad at throwing some chips in the deep fat fryer and putting some oil and steak into a frying pan, although it's a bit random whether I'll get a rare, medium or well done steak! :p

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I make a nice stew in the slow cooker, and a good chilli!

Can also do stir fries, soups, the good housekeeping "favourite prawn curry", roast chicken andlamb chops etc.

Also make slightly burnt/slightly stodgy, badly shaped rolls from a bread mix thingy.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, now I'm not messing about with testing new smiley things.

I love to cook. I love trying different flavours and interesting things. Most of what I do is in a wok though. I don't go as far as I used to (I used to always steam rice in a wok, and I used to make an awesome steamed chicken and mushroom dish too), but I still use it a lot. I even fry eggs in my wok.

So lots of stir fries, but also tomato dishes (bolognese, chilli, etc) there too. I like Chinese food and I like tomato based sauces - so mostly those.

Also happy grilling (broiling for the Americans) with meat marinated or rubbed to induce flavour. I'll often just get the urge to make something like a nice soup or desert (best thing I ever did was to learn to make a coulis and caramel) if I want something fresh and different.

Oh, really into making my own salsas too. Either to go with stuff for dipping, or to put on toast under some nice mature cheese. I don't just mean dump a tomato and an onion into a blender either. They're really nice with paprika and apricot - but lots of other things.

I'm also happy knocking together a salad for a snack. I don't mind putting in effort for some NOM.

I'm crap at "traditional" stuff though. I can't do roasts well and my meat and two veg is a disaster area ;)

Oh, Jerry had my speciality dish. Baked peppers with chilli and bacon on toasted bread. I could eat that every day. Sadly, it's too spicy for the rest of the family :(

Can also do fry ups (I can do perfect poached and fried eggs), sandwiches, fruit salads (MMF and Madame_Furie love my banana long boats), etc, etc. I enjoy cooking/making things ad while it's not always neat and not always quite as good as it could be - I always like making the effort.

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
Quite the domestic God it sounds furie? :)

I love to cook but i don't get much kitchen time sharing the house with loads of other people! Pulled pork wraps are one of my favourite though!

Doing Christmas dinner this year which could be interesting!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
AirtimeFreak said:
Quite the domestic God it sounds furie? :)

LOL - It's really odd because I'm actually a really fussy eater. It's just that I really enjoy cooking the things I do like :)

I moved out of my parent's place with pretty much zero cooking experience, so I needed to learn fast. I then lived with friends/girlfriends in shared flats/houses for years and years - so it's something that is worthwhile learning when you're cooking for more than just yourself.

AirtimeFreak said:
Doing Christmas dinner this year which could be interesting!!

I've done two in my life.

The first one was at university in my flat in my first year. It was awful. I didn't know you had to par-boil the potatoes for roasting, so it was a roast mush instead. I forgot to do the vegetables, the turkey never seemed to cook and then burned, the stuffing was soggy and the gravy lumpy.

It took about three days to clean up the mess too.

Next one was a couple of years later and I'd become a little more domesticated. It was okay, but I mistimed everything, so the it all arrived in ten or fifteen minute intervals. The lamb was also bleating still (which I love), but nobody else wanted to eat it :lol:

I still don't do "roasts" even now. I just can't get them right.

Oddly, I did a banquet for my friends to celebrate finishing my degree course. I fed 20 people with 11 different dishes - all cooked on a four hob, single oven. I've no idea how I managed to do that, and the idea of it would give me nightmares now :lol:

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
^^ That's something I won't be attempting for a while! You should have booked yourself a slot on Masterchef with timing like that!

furie said:
It's really odd because I'm actually a really fussy eater. It's just that I really enjoy cooking the things I do like

I am the same. I need to be really in the mood but once I'm there I will attempt to cook anything. Been pinching the slow cooker before going out to work recently, there's nothing like coming back to a house that smells delicious, and there's food waiting for you, even if people have been getting a forkful before you get in!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Most of it was preprepared to be honest and just dumped into the oven kind of thing. Stuff like hot pot and broccoli bake could be kept for ages lower in the oven. So yeah, it was hours and hours of prep - but just a short time bringing it all together. Always cheat :)

I do use the slow cooker, but I haven't mastered it yet - my meat always seems to dry out no matter what. Could be using cheap meat :(

Mmmmmm.... Pork with apple and cider though in a slow cooker... so hungry now.

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
I don't wanna make things any worse but

051056059-01-memphis-style-ribs-recipe_xlg.jpg

That's not my creation by the way.

I seem to get the same problem with the meat drying out sometimes. i try to make sure there are enough vegetables to give off some moisture and a nice amount of sauce but its harder than you'd think to perfect!

GeForce

Roller Poster
Most of the time I like cooking german food, from fish to schnitzel there is a lot of variety. MY personal favourite thou are maultaschen (anybody who know them ?).
I also like to cook american and texmex food, selfmade burgers and wraps are just so much better than fast food. However sometimes I´m too lazy too cook,especially when I´m coming home from work and I pick up food from a good restaurant.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I had the afternoon off yesterday and we'd had a delivery of vegetables unexpectedly (including sprouts and a mango). So with time and ingredients, I decided to do a kind of Ready Steady Cook thing.

Sprouts, despite what Nic says, are horrid things. So I decided to try something new with them. At the very least, over power their nasty taste.

So I marinaded the sprouts (halved and peeled back to vivid brown/green/red/yellow :p ) in honey and wine vinegar and mixed in some chopped walnuts.

Then I marinaded finely chopped bacon in honey, garlic, ginger, shallots, chilli and a tiny amount of lemon grass (I didn't want it to taste of the cave in Europa Park :p ).

I deep fried the sprouts and walnuts while stir frying the bacon stuff. When it was all cooked, I drained and dried and mixed it all together (beware, the walnuts sink :p ).

In the fat/oil left over from the bacon, I fried some thinly sliced steaks I'd left for a few hours in coconut milk (yes, I stole it from master chef :p ). The steak was so tender, it was magnificent. It picked up just the tiniest, subtlest Thai flavouring from the bacon stuff too. The bacon mixed with the sprouts was really nice. Sweet and sticky bacon with the crispy sprouts and walnuts. The sprouts tasted almost edible and everything!

I served it with gravy from the steak, mash and I made a salsa from the mango (mango, tomato purée, garlic, chilli and a little more lemon grass).

Not a great deal of work, but seriously full of NOM :) Except for the sprouts :p

tks

Strata Poster
Kind of already have this topic so I'm just going to link to my post over there..

viewtopic.php

Oh. Started properly baking properly.

BZYLinoIcAAKa2o.jpg:large

Focaccia <3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I knew we had a topic, but I couldn't be bothered looking for it beyond a cursory glance. That means that it's really kind of dead and I think Joey decided we shouldn't be jerks and just allow discussion to continue on new topics :)

Last night I made a chicken and mushroom Pot Noodle. In honour of Gavin's dad, I took out the sweetcorn ;)

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
Steak last night! Tesco were doing two nice big fillets for £12 couldnt resist! Some crispy mini roast potatoes and roast asparagus with garlic butter sauce. Bit of a classic but it went down a treat!