What's new

What do you classify as a Milestone?

Darren B

Giga Poster
So a few of us have been debating this offline. Some people count just 100's, some count 50's, some even count 25's.

What do you recognise as a milestone?

I'm sure I've seen this topic before but I can't find it, so have another.

Ben

CF Legend
The 100s, and nothing else.

Even now they've started to lose all meaning, the only one I've got my eyes on now is 1000. I hit 800 again yesterday (after removing borderlines) and barely even noticed.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

For a beginner, hitting 50 is pretty special, so I still count that. It's also half of a 100. To me it's silly to count all the 50s though, because 150 just bears no meaning. 250 and 750 are special because they are a quarter of 1000 (which along with 100 is the biggest milestone imo). Counting 1100, 1200 etc. also seems like it just isn't special anymore, so above 1000, only the quarters count to me.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I'm weird...

25's-Count up to 100
50's- Count up to 250
100's- Count up to 1000
250's- Count no matter what
1000's- Count no matter what

Notice how each one counts up to the value two ahead of it? With the exception of 750 being one and arguably 150 not being one, it's pretty consistent.

I also find it better to overcount milestones than undercount milestones. You're traveling, getting creds, and having fun. Enjoy what you can!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I think it's down to your current count as to if you count the 50s or not.
Anything under 200 you should be counting the 50s, then 100s only. So I won't be counting 250 as a milestone.

Darren B

Giga Poster
50 is fair, 150 is bollocks.

It's like in cricket, the same rules apply;

50 - applause and a raised bat.
100 - applause, raise of the bat, removed helmet.
150 - mild applause, nod of acknowledgment.
200 - Huge applause, run and jump in celebration.

I count only in hundreds, but I can acknowledge those who celebrate 50/250/750. Anyone who counts 10's/25's and 50's that aren't the aforementioned 50's belong on THAT list.

Top 10 most offensive things list

1. Boomerangs
2. Child Molesters
3. Rapists
4. People who put their seats back on Aeroplanes
5. People who wear socks with shorts
6. Screaming American teenagers
7. People who count 25's and 50's as a milestone
8. Drivers who hog the middle lane
9. Six Flags' 'bring a scumbag for free day'
10. Mike Austin

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Mine would be as follows:
I'd put the first 4 25s in and then count it in 100s with the quarter, half , third quarter 1000

Ben

CF Legend
150 just isn't a milestone.

It's not in any way a number to be acknowledged and celebrated. There's nothing in the World where 150 sticks out as important because it's not an interesting number.

50 I'll maybe give you, I hit that at about 13 so don't even remember it, but anything else, no.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah 1 10 25 50 100 then up in the 100's. 150 is slightly more of a milestone than, say, 136 but Darren's cricket example is solid, stats are always marked as half centuries, centuries and double centuries, with a small acknowledgement for a 150.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
^Thats of course when you achieve your first milestone. It should be 100s once you hit 100.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
If it's something big for you, celebrate it. For me, 100 was my biggest, and then 118 as it marked that I was finally able to ride again. It was **** Coast Rider at KBF but I will always remember it.

Pretty sure first coaster with my child will also be a milestone, don't give a **** what number it is, it's a milestone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
tomahawk said:
If it's something big for you, celebrate it. For me, 100 was my biggest, and then 118 as it marked that I was finally able to ride again. It was **** Coast Rider at KBF but I will always remember it.

Pretty sure first coaster with my child will also be a milestone, don't give a **** what number it is, it's a milestone.

Snoo said:
Whatever you want it to be really. I may just celebrate 295 on my next new credit.

This.

Seriously, grow the **** up. If somebody taking a picture with a piece of paper in front of a roller coaster is a problem for you or makes you judge someone, you really need to grow the **** up and get out of mommy's basement. This hobby is all about finding your way to enjoy it, so if you do or don't wantto count something, count it or don't count it.

If they did it and you don't classify it as a milestone, don't do it yourself or don't congratulate them. Move on. It's literally that simple. Nobody needs to attack anybody or tell them they're "wrong" for doing it. (Seriously, if you think you're so high mighty that you can decide if something like that is right or wrong, that's really pompous and you need to grow up.)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Every 100 basically. That's all I've ever posted in that Milestone topic anyway.

I can see the argument that after 1,000 maybe you should start going up in bigger increments, but it doesn't work that way since when you're in numbers that high, it becomes harder to add larger numbers.

The gap between 250 and 500 is much smaller than the gap between 1,000 and 1,250 if that makes sense, in that it's a lot harder to achieve.

So yeah, anyway, every hundred.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'm still low in numbers, but the way I see myself doing it is every 25 up to 100, every 50 up to 500 and every 100 thereafter.

The 1, 25, 50 and 75 seem relatively significant at low numbers for me at least. Then 50s seem like a neat little thing to do, but I can imagine it getting a bit tedious / less significant after 500. I'd never do larger increments than 100 because it would just feel weird (and I'd be very surprised if I got anywhere near 1000 anyway..)

But yeah, I agree milestones should just be decided on an individual basis. If I ever have kids, if I was to ride a new coaster with them, I'd happily put it down in a milestone. Equally I'm sure if I have other noteworthy personal new coasters, I'd see it as a milestone.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Jarrett said:
tomahawk said:

Snoo said:
Whatever you want it to be really. I may just celebrate 295 on my next new credit.

This.

Seriously, grow the **** up. If somebody taking a picture with a piece of paper in front of a roller coaster is a problem for you or makes you judge someone, you really need to grow the **** up and get out of mommy's basement. This hobby is all about finding your way to enjoy it, so if you do or don't wantto count something, count it or don't count it.

If they did it and you don't classify it as a milestone, don't do it yourself or don't congratulate them. Move on. It's literally that simple. Nobody needs to attack anybody or tell them they're "wrong" for doing it. (Seriously, if you think you're so high mighty that you can decide if something like that is right or wrong, that's really pompous and you need to grow up.)

Wow, Jarrett, somebody needs to change their tampon.

I think I know what this all comes down too, and that's lack of ambition. When milestones are set so small it shows the lack of any real ambition to achieve something great.

Let's put this into perspective; you have 176 creds, Harold Shipman killed over 250 people. Harold Shipman has killed more people than you have creds! And I bet he didn't celebrate his 150th.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Darren, you know that your post came across as trolling. Please be more considerate.

Considering your every 100 roller coaster milestone is a simple, easy interval. Afterall, coaster counts are the perpetual manhood measuring contest every upstanding coaster enthusiast participates in. While 50s are a fairly round number to also include, as gavin mentioned, there is a point of diminishing returns where intervals other than 100 carry less of a punch.