What's new

What’s next for Phantasialand?

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
returning to this topic

What Phantasia REALLY need next is to return to their roots of elaborate dark rides and pull off the next Symbolica or Pirates of Batavia !

After reading Heartlinecoasters China trips blog - It struck me that some of the dark rides at Fantawild (and others) would be a perfect replacement for geister rikscha, a modern elaborate story-driven Chinese myth dark ride!

a couple of POV's I found of Fantawild dark rides below (spoilers of course).

Last edited:

UP87

Mega Poster
I agree. Phantasialand shows everywhere that they can do great theming. Reusng this for a dark ride would be the next step. But if you look at F.L.Y. which isn't even a year old and and has two animatronics and neither of them works - one never did... errrrm... well... they need to get better suppliers for that or better in house technicans!

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Definitely, a world-class dark ride is missing here. The ETF trackless system (like Symbolica) would be a great option and I think they haven't exploited the full potential of the ride system yet. For instance, what about having different levels and elevators that bring you from one to the other? What about individual paths, like the group of cars may split up and meet again, maybe with a 'fake' car hosting animatronics instead of guest... :) I think you could do a great mystic ride that may also fit into the underground part of Geister Rikscha (nicely fitting to the idea of different levels).

The other thing that is really missing in the park is a coaster with a proper drop. Of course, it does not seem plausible that Phantasialand goes for another coaster as their next major attraction. But actually I thought the same after Taron, so who knows? :) I think something like a beyond-vertical B&M dive machine with some novel (for B&M) elements and an overall good layout would be top-notch for their coaster line up. Of course, noise-level restrictions will forbid a large outdoor drop but a combination of an indoor lift structure like Karnan and some underground passages would probably make it possible. Don't know about their budget though. But the fact that actually built FLY make me dream a bit... Regarding the location of this thing, I'd say Geister Rikscha and Silverado would need to go. The lift-hill building could nicely be themed as one of these tall Chinese towers, if the asian theming is kept.

peep

CF Legend
The ETF trackless system (like Symbolica) would be a great option and I think they haven't exploited the full potential of the ride system yet. For instance, what about having different levels and elevators that bring you from one to the other? What about individual paths, like the group of cars may split up and meet again, maybe with a 'fake' car hosting animatronics instead of guest

Disney have already done all of that, maybe not in the same ride but they easily tick off all of those things. Even one of the fab rides at Warner Bros Abu Dhabi has the fake trackless car with characters in.

Great suggestion though, it would be cool to see someone like Phantasialand get something like this. They've already shown "recently" that they can pull off lovely themed dark rides with Maus.

I don't think they have room for another B&M but stranger things have happened I guess.

Nick13

Mega Poster
I was at Phantasialand yesterday, and the excellent quality of the majority of their rides makes the remaining older rides (Geister Rickshaw and Crazy Bats specifically!) stand out like a sore thumb! A new trackless dark ride in either location is surely the ideal next investment for the park.

UP87

Mega Poster
I don't know if a trackless dark ride would be the way to go for the park. Trackless dark rides seem somewhat difficult with elevation changes. It's possible to work around that with elevators but I feel like with the limited area of Phantasialand something more capable of stacking should be the way to go.

As Arthur in Europa-Park always reminds me of Phantasialands Wuze Town I think a darkride coaster like Arthur could nicely fit the Wuze town area. It could replace Hollywood Tour and Crazy Bats as I feel like those attractions are to be replaced in the next couple of years. Hollywood Tour is down for over one year and it doesn't look like they are currently working on it. If you do some clever design work you could combine this with a completely tame boat ride and some shared theming but distinct stories in other parts. (Phantasialand contact me if you want some more detailed ideas ;) )