What's new

West Midland Safari Park £80m Waterpark Investment

Kebab

Giga Poster
'West Midlands Safari Park reveal £80 million transformation plans

A water park complete with indoor beaches and slides, a hotel and African-inspired 'jungle' - these exclusive images reveal the £80 million vision for West Midland Safari Park which bosses insist will transform it into a world-class tourist treasure.

The project will be the biggest transformation at the site in decades and is expected to attract tens of thousands of visitors.

The work will be carried out over the next 10 years and bosses said it would turn the attraction into a fully-fledged resort which could rival national tourist gems likes of Alton Towers.

Plans are also in the pipeline to link the safari park with the nearby Severn Valley Railway. A new stop would be introduced serving the park.

Under the transformation plans, the water park would have a jungle-themed environment featuring pools, rides and slides set around specially created coves and beaches.'

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014 ... ion-plans/

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster
Can't think of anything worse than being stuck in a faux "tropical wonderland" with a bunch of sweaty brummies.

As for the ludicrous and painfully cringeworthy idea of this operation even coming close to rivaling Alton Towers. Just no.

Darren B

Giga Poster
I've only just seen this.

This seems quite a drastic investment but it could work. We don't have a particularly great water park in the UK and this COULD fill the void. Blackpool probably boasts the best indoor Waterpark in the UK but it's nothing spectacular. We'll have to wait and see if this goes ahead or not. Fingers crossed, water parks are fab.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I really enjoyed the water park in Poole (can't remember what is was called), but I guess it wasn't great in comparison to water parks across the world. I'm assuming from the article that it will be outdoor, which may not be the best idea given our climate.

Darren B

Giga Poster
^It does kind of state indoors in the original post. For £80 million though I'd expect it to be both indoors and outdoors.

Ethan

Strata Poster
From the photos on the article it looks indoors I think, with the slides going outside and back into the building to finish.

I think it'll be a good addition. Rival Alton Towers? No, but I bet it'll attract a lot more visitors when it's finished. If only the theme park was better...

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster
Ethan said:
From the photos on the article it looks indoors I think, with the slides going outside and back into the building to finish.

I think it'll be a good addition. Rival Alton Towers? No, but I bet it'll attract a lot more visitors when it's finished. If only the theme park was better...

The only way that theme park will ever get better is if they closed it and moved it to a less scummy, **** part of the country.

Darren B

Giga Poster
joshuadrooney said:
Ethan said:

The only way that theme park will ever get better is if they closed it and moved it to a less scummy, **** part of the country.

Although Worcestershire is one of the more affluent counties in the UK, and is in the lower half of the spectrum in terms of crime figures?

Just because Birmingham is the closest city to the park don't assume that WMSP is a ****. Check your facts first. :)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Oh it's definitely not awful (or were you not talking to me?) But it could be better, although I guess the funding just isn't there, or they're happy with what they have at the moment.

I haven't seen any attendance figures, although if they are solid, I guess there's no point in changing the park unless attendance is dropping or stagnant.

Kebab

Giga Poster
joshuadrooney said:
Ethan said:

Cheers mate, openly offend the area where I live! I know its **** but its not that bad...

By the looks of the plans there will be a few proslide build attractions, which is fantastic! We do need a taste of more world-class water park in the UK, and this is the perfect oppurtunity. Hope they go on with this!

Lofty

CF Legend
To be fair - don't act offended by someone shading the place you live when you refer to it as 'Mordor' in your profile description. Double standards.

Looking at the plans, I'd actually say these are more White Water West and Polin than ProSlide.

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster
Kebab said:
joshuadrooney said:
Ethan said:

Cheers mate, openly offend the area where I live! I know its **** but its not that bad...

By the looks of the plans there will be a few proslide build attractions, which is fantastic! We do need a taste of more world-class water park in the UK, and this is the perfect oppurtunity. Hope they go on with this!

You're welcome. I'd love to sit here and really unleash about what I think of the midlands and its population but it would divert the topic. Perhaps on another, more suitable thread.

I do not understand the recent fascination with waterparks. They aren't exciting, and I have to question the hygiene of these places. When we are talking about the big operations, how many people will be in that water? I shudder when I think about it. I never did see the appeal of being propelled and then ultimately defecated out of the end of a waterlogged tube, but maybe that is just me

Kebab

Giga Poster
I enjoyed Siam Park as much as i do with Theme Parks, although I doubt this will be on the same calibre as Siam Park. But looking at the selection of slides on the plan it certainly raises some interest to me. I really enjoyed Kinaree at Siam Park and the one on the far right looks to be a similar design, I sure hope they give us good slides and not another run of the mill set of body slides and a half pipe.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I wouldn't think hygenie is that big of a problem... Hundreds of other water parks out there that manage.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Lofty said:
I'd actually say these are more White Water West

Correct, to be more specific it's a Family Python, Superbowl, Constrictor and a Pipeline.
6.JPG

inner-tube_Hawaiian-Falls_Waco_1112.jpg

8.jpg

1.JPG

Source

Lofty

CF Legend
joshuadrooney said:
I do not understand the recent fascination with waterparks. They aren't exciting, and I have to question the hygiene of these places. When we are talking about the big operations, how many people will be in that water? I shudder when I think about it. I never did see the appeal of being propelled and then ultimately defecated out of the end of a waterlogged tube, but maybe that is just me
There's not actually a 'recent fascination', water parks have been progressively expanding in numbers for the past 20 years or so now. It's not a rapid growth, more a gradual rising. If you mean in terms of parks adding additional water parks alongside their theme parks, that's fair enough, but for financial benefits it's clear that they work as a business model or none would be being built.

Also, having worked closely on several projects with Sandcastle Waterpark in Blackpool, the water is closely monitored and if it drops below a certain point of cleanliness, they shut the place and don't let people enter until it's safe to. They're very specific on this.