What's new

Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I know it's nice to break some worl records but this slide was seriously boring. I have seen shorter tube slides with much more aggressive turns... This one was just turn, turn, straight bit, rinse and repeat. I know it must be hard to control the dynamics of a tube slide that long so that it doesn't flip over or goes too fast, but that was seriously bland.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Once more not a a roller coaster but I like weird and unusual rides so here are some pictures of a wonderfully odd petrol powered monorail that runs up to the 5th Pine Limestone Caves in Nara Prefecture, Japan.

I love the fact the ride comes with umbrellas provided.

For the return journey the monorail actually just runs backwards down the same course.

20190924_153332_hdr1.jpg20190924_155346_hdr1.jpg20190924_155355_hdr1.jpg20190924_155017_hdr1.jpg20190924_150036_hdr1.jpg20190924_152451_hdr1.jpg

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Well, that's annoying. I didn't do that park when I was in Ningbo since the Fantawild park (the first one) wasn't finished, or perhaps was finished, but nobody had been to confirm it. Wasn't it fairly new as well?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

cookie

Giga Poster
I know the park was getting rid of all of its rides anyhow, but did nobody else want a five years old coaster? Or was in that bad of a condition?

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Not sure whether this kind of thread would fit within the already existing "Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits", but I think it's different enough:

the idea of this thread is to collect coaster facts that sort of seem noteworthy, however for some reason they have totally escaped you for a long time until you found out about them in some strange unobvious way. Let me start off:

- before Taron, the world's fastest Multi-Launch coaster was Full Throttle!? What? How was this never mentioned at any point during construction, advertising or what not? I had to find out about this through a Taron documentary.

- ring°racer is SBNO!? I was absolutely shocked to find out about that thanks to Theme Park Crazy. I just always assumed that it was long gone, since ring°werk changed ownership twice since it's closure and both times it was stated that the new owner wouldn't have any use for the coaster. But apparently, it's still sitting there, waiting for some miracle to happen.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I really think this should live in the other thread, so I've merged it.

- before Taron, the world's fastest Multi-Launch coaster was Full Throttle!? What? How was this never mentioned at any point during construction, advertising or what not? I had to find out about this through a Taron documentary.
That sounds like an @Pokemaniac type of fact. The reason why no-one cares is the same reason I regularly forget Full Throttle is even a thing. ;)

- ring°racer is SBNO!? I was absolutely shocked to find out about that thanks to Theme Park Crazy. I just always assumed that it was long gone, since ring°werk changed ownership twice since it's closure and both times it was stated that the new owner wouldn't have any use for the coaster. But apparently, it's still sitting there, waiting for some miracle to happen.
Cheaper to leave it there than get the wreckers in. :p

cookie

Giga Poster
I was wondering the other day if Ring Racer would've stuck around if it had a more reliable launch system.

You probably couldn't get that level of acceleration with LSM, but Red Force shows you can achieve similar speeds.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^Air launches are the kings though. And from Ring Racers inspired looking layout of straight lines and warehouses, launch was about all it had going for it.

heres a great video showing the removal of Whale Wings at Happy Live Park in Ningbo, China.
Aww. I saw that one from the window of a bus once. Dead in 5 years. Grab em while you can.

vdch34278

Roller Poster
Ever noticed something out of the ordinary about a coaster? Whether it's a part of a train, track, support, queue, station or some other bit of uniqueness - this is the place to post it for others to see & discuss.
I'll start it off with one of my favorite all-time supports found on Great Bear at Hersheypark. I've never seen one like it on any other coaster.
GreatBearSupport.jpg
Nice footchopper (?)

Heth

Mega Poster
One bit that's always bothered me is the absurdly long, straight and flat track in Superman Ride of Steel at Six Flags America / Darien Lake. It is bizarre in a weirdly mundane way and I can't work out why it is there.

cookie

Giga Poster
One bit that's always bothered me is the absurdly long, straight and flat track in Superman Ride of Steel at Six Flags America / Darien Lake. It is bizarre in a weirdly mundane way and I can't work out why it is there.
The impression I get is that in the DL version it was for zooming over the lake, and when they copied and mirrored the layout for SFA they didn't do anything about the long straight piece of track so it looks out of place.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm not quite sure what this is but its somewhere in the UAE. Appears to be a bobsled or slide crossed with an Alpine Coaster.
A mountain that big in the UAE? Must be Jebel Hafeet. I went there as it's only a couple of hours from Abu Dhabi, and basically the only thing in the entire country that has any sort of elevation. My picture from about half-way up the stunning mountain road:

6ty9TWf.jpg

Bit of Googling, and it's at the Mercure Grand Hotel at Jebel Hafeet! Bet you weren't expecting that? :p

JBim0rr.png

YV6mHgP.jpg

I didn't see this when I was there, but a little bit gutted now. I'd have totally tried to blag a ride from the concierge if I'd have known. Wouldn't have been a cred, though, I don't think. No dice on a POV from a quick YouTube search, either. :p

cookie

Giga Poster
Digging through TripAdvisor images of the hotel I can't find any evidence of it running, but the bobs do seem to switch positions between photos so someone has to be pushing them around at least.