What's new

We need to settle on a term for back-and-forth launches

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Not very helpful if trying to distinguish between Cheetah Hunt (triple) or Soaring with Dragon (swing) though, right?

"New Intamin triple launch" and "New Intamin swing launch" are way easier to distinguish between.
But we are talking about the launch element, not about the coaster style, first of all...
And second of all, why all these labeling? It launches 3 times, so it's tripple launch... whether it uses the same launch 3 times or 3 different launches doesn't even matter.

If a boomerang has one loop, it inverts you twice... So it's a double-inversion coaster, not a single one.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
But we are talking about the launch element, not about the coaster style, first of all...
And second of all, why all these labeling? It launches 3 times, so it's tripple launch... whether it uses the same launch 3 times or 3 different launches doesn't even matter.
I'd say the launch element and the coaster style overlap quite a lot, you know. ;)

Why all the labeling? Yeah, I guess you're right. No point identifying the difference between a B&M sit-down and a Mack mega-coaster - it's the same thing. The reason why we do all the labeling is because we're enthusiasts and IT'S WHAT WE DO. Without labeling, how are we meant to rank our favourite Yellow Zamperla Volare? :D

I mean, I think you've lost this one I'm afraid. Triple for rides with three different launches, Swing for rides with the same launch passed three times (or any other number, I suppose) of times. Sounds like we're all in agreement on this. :p

JoshC.

Strata Poster
In fairness, there's a big difference between a coaster with 3 completely separate launches (triple launch) and one with one of these swing launches.

A triple launch coaster will almost definitely be longer, whereas a swing launch coaster could be quite short. There's different feelings to the ride experiences too.

Ultimately, it makes it easier to distinguish. If we read on the forums 'New triple launch coaster coming to Cedar Point' (for example), and there's no difference between the two types, it makes it harder for us to know what to expect. It's not that different to, say, a wingrider (Swarm, Gatekeeper, etc) and a BigDipper (Lost Gravity, Dynamite) / whatever Intamin call Skyrush imo.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Why all the labeling? Yeah, I guess you're right. No point identifying the difference between a B&M sit-down and a Mack mega-coaster - it's the same thing. The reason why we do all the labeling is because we're enthusiasts and IT'S WHAT WE DO. Without labeling, how are we meant to rank our favourite Yellow Zamperla Volare? :D
But then you are calling the coaster by it's model rather than it's type, which I'm fine with. But then Soaring is a Swing Coaster and Cheetah Hunt a blitz coaster. But there can be multiple coaster that are sit-down, like a B&M sit-down, Mack Mega or Intamin Mega-lite. These are all sit-down coasters with different experiences. But you can't deny that a coaster which launches 3 times is, in fact, a triple launch coaster.

I mean, I think you've lost this one I'm afraid. Triple for rides with three different launches, Swing for rides with the same launch passed three times (or any other number, I suppose) of times. Sounds like we're all in agreement on this. :p
Just for the sake of giving more counter-arguments. What if the swing does get passed by only two times (For example if the launch of the Asterix coaster would sit in front of the switch track). Then it would need another name aswell... Right? No just call the new Asterix coaster a Quadruple launch coaster... because it's just that

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just for the sake of giving more counter-arguments. What if the swing does get passed by only two times (For example if the launch of the Asterix coaster would sit in front of the switch track). Then it would need another name aswell... Right? No just call the new Asterix coaster a Quadruple launch coaster... because it's just that
I'm not quite sure I follow. If the launch isn't capable of clearing the next element, meaning the train has to pass it two/three/nine/twenty times, then it's a swing launch. It doesn't matter where the switch is, whether it's rolling or static, backwards or forwards, it's all the same mechanic. And, very different to three separate launches (like Cheetah Hunt).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Or, maybe, if we need to clarify: double swing launch, triple swing launch, etc. Just state the number of times the train passes the launch, with "swing" meaning it's a multi-pass launch.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
That sounds like the best way to put it, I think I'll use that! Some of my digital coasters only make 2 passes through the launch track instead of 3, so that would be a huge help to distinguish between 2 and 3 launches.