What's new

Walk around parks in Google streetview

Ollie

CF Legend
Not sure how long this has been out but I've only just found it today.
Basiclaly you can walk round theme parks now in the same way you do in Google Street view:
http://www.google.com/help/maps/streetv ... ttractions

It's pretty cool but weird when you get lost in a park you've never been to before. Been exploring Legoland California and Seaworld Orlando for the past half hour. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
That's pretty cool, my mom went to Boston University so I was sure to forward along the link to tour her old campus!

It's astonishing the detail and accuracy they have with street view. Are these images literally rendered by someone going around taking pictures?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^They must be. I can't see any other 'easy' way of producing them.

I think it's excellent. I'm sure it'll keep me occupied for a bit.

Ben

CF Legend
Ollie said:
It's pretty cool but weird when you get lost in a park you've never been to before. Been exploring Legoland California and Seaworld Orlando for the past half hour. :)

No good parks to look round yet then :(

CMonster

Giga Poster
Hyde244 said:
That's pretty cool, my mom went to Boston University so I was sure to forward along the link to tour her old campus!

It's astonishing the detail and accuracy they have with street view. Are these images literally rendered by someone going around taking pictures?

Usually they use cars with bunches of cameras on top, but for this they can't really get a car in, so this guy rides on this huge tricycle with the cameras attached to it.

Picture: http://i41.tinypic.com/nvv1qs.jpg

Homer

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
Ollie said:

Implying Busch Gardens Tampa is bad...

Also, going around water parks in streetview sometimes;
datassoo.jpg

Dave

CF Legend
CMonster said:
Hyde244 said:

Usually they use cars with bunches of cameras on top, but for this they can't really get a car in, so this guy rides on this huge tricycle with the cameras attached to it.

Picture: http://i41.tinypic.com/nvv1qs.jpg

or this
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq16 ... era_02.jpg

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
^^Wow, is that a ps2 controller operating the camera? That's awesome.

And I love the way the man riding the tricycle is wearing a helmet - I'd imagine he's not allowed to reach dangerous speeds anyway because of the fragile equipment precariously on the back.

The photo thing looks good, although I wish it was somehow so that you could walk around in it, instead of following the arrows. Right now it feels like a text adventure game 'to the left, you have some trees, to the right, you have a swimming pool.

-Go right
-Go left'

Ben

CF Legend
UC said:
Ben said:

Ben, just because I'm curious - when you walk around a park in this streetview and then combine it with POVs from youtube, do you count it as park/coaster credits on your count?

ONLY if I tilt my chair back and forth whilst doing so.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
On second inspection, they have blurred out everyone's faces in the streetview. Talk about time consuming!

Gazza

Giga Poster
^That gets done automatically (Along with car number plates and some signs) to protect privacy.

This particular feature has been the subject of ridicule in the past though...From memory it has censored faces on billboards, the faces of some animals etc, but has managed to not properly censor faces of anybody who isn't fair skinned.

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
This is great, I have just looked around Seaworld Orlando and I got some great views of Manta, hope they do Thorpe Park that would be good, as the park isnt so big!

jayjay

Giga Poster
This is pretty cool. Had a good time exploring Hersheypark which I've never been to (I really want to now). Would be nice for Google to expand the number of places they do with this.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Hershey looks a very beautiful park. It looks completely different to how I imagined.

That thing is cool. I wish it would have some way of going back to a flat map so you don't have to 'walk' everywhere though.

Gazza

Giga Poster
^You could do it via Google earth, and just click on the various camera icons to jump to the specific part of the park you are interested in.