What's new

Walibi Holland | Untamed | RMC Robin Hood Conversion

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
This was smaller than I expected and while I'm sure it'll be fun, it's not a big enough deal to make me desperate to come pack to Walibi Holland. Like I keep saying ,I'd love to be wrong and for this to be amazing, it just didn't look very amazing yet in person.

This coaster looks to be chock-full of crazy RMC elements. Take the 80 degree first drop followed by a bunny hill, or the wild double inversion immediately succeeding that. Perhaps the step-up under flip into the airtime hill banked 97 degrees is also to account? These features I named are all what we can currently see - I'm very sure there are many even more bold maneuvers yet to come in Untamed's layout!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Yeah, there's literally no issues with the RMC restraint that I've faced so far? They're actually incredibly comfortable.
In my opinion, RMC restraints are what ruined Lightning Rod for me. Back in 2016 I enjoyed 3 night rides on it, but the next morning awoke to black-and-blue bruises on my thighs. I haven't tried the new-generation trains yet though, but for me I wish that lady never lost her life on New Texas Giant and prevented more RMC's from getting the stellar Gerstlauer trains seen on New Texas Giant (which I've ridden) and Iron Rattler exclusively. Those would be a massive improvement over the old-generation RMC trains for sure, in my opinion.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
In my opinion, RMC restraints are what ruined Lightning Rod for me. Back in 2016 I enjoyed 3 night rides on it, but the next morning awoke to black-and-blue bruises on my thighs. I haven't tried the new-generation trains yet though, but for me I wish that lady never lost her life on New Texas Giant and prevented more RMC's from getting the stellar Gerstlauer trains seen on New Texas Giant (which I've ridden) and Iron Rattler exclusively. Those would be a massive improvement over the old-generation RMC trains for sure, in my opinion.
They were never going to keep the Gerstlauer trains, they were always working on their own, it was just a matter of time. RMC trains are my personal favorite, despite my ongoing love/hate relationship with them. Bruises are just proof of sexiness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
While the Gerstlauer trains are more comfortable, (and it might just be the rides they run on), they feel much more pussified than RMC's trains. I just can't picture those trains on a ride with tons of airtime or tight maneuvers. Something about it just feels... wrong.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Ahh, I missed that, I was going through quickly and scanning for pictures of construction. Well, baller! I'm super excited!

"Gimmicks" :rolleyes:
I mean, it never really duels because the first half is so short/**** operations, so yeah, defo a gimmick.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The only issue that I have encountered with RMC restraints is pulling them up when it's time to disembark the ride. The gas struts built into the restraints do an excellent job of keeping the lap bar stationary and there isn't really an ergonomically friendly way of pulling them up. They're great...except for that bit.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I mean, it never really duels because the first half is so short/:emoji_poop: operations, so yeah, defo a gimmick.

It never really duels because in order to duel the train has to load in 120 seconds (something like that) or under. If it loads in that time, it definitely duels and the ride will adjust lift speed to make sure of that, it's just the GP is too slow. I think most of them just don't know; there's a clock in the station that counts down and everything. When it duels, it is definitely not a gimmick. Ride it during ERT when it duels every single time and then try to tell me it's a gimmick. Don't let your lack of experience dismiss the awesomeness that is a dueling stall over an ejector hill.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
It never really duels because in order to duel the train has to load in 120 seconds (something like that) or under. If it loads in that time, it definitely duels and the ride will adjust lift speed to make sure of that, it's just the GP is too slow. I think most of them just don't know; there's a clock in the station that counts down and everything. When it duels, it is definitely not a gimmick. Ride it during ERT when it duels every single time and then try to tell me it's a gimmick. Don't let your lack of experience dismiss the awesomeness that is a dueling stall over an ejector hill.
Um, I have experienced it dueling? Several times in fact. The dueling stall is fantastic...but it is still a gimmick. The ride is two beginnings of a ride with no ending.

2 minutes is not enough time for a load and unload for a Six Flags park. I mean, if Tatsu can't do it in 4 minutes, what makes you think they can do it with a train with stiff restraints.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I still don't get your logic.

First of all, you can't count the loading times into the equation of the ride. We're talking about when it's dueling; no if's, and's, or but's.

Second of all, how is it two beginnings? By the fact that it has two chain lifts and follows a similar course? If you were to take just the first half of the ride, it would practically be Twisted Cyclone. So, a double up into some outer banked airtime hills doesn't qualify as enough of an ending for you? Maybe it's because it's not low to the ground? I guess Zadra doesn't really have an ending either, that's just a roll into a turn pretty high up off the ground. Oh, byt the way, Lightning Rod isn't really much of a ride either as it ends with so much speed so high up in the air.

You still haven't explained what exactly makes it gimmicky, you seem to be making excuses. I guess Joris en de Draak is gimmicky as well, might as well tear down one of the tracks and save space.

Look, we're all entitled to our own opinion, and if you don't find racing and/or dueling coasters very fun, that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's gimmicky. I guess drag racing is kind of Gimmicky as well, maybe we should just run time trials.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
The only issue that I have encountered with RMC restraints is pulling them up when it's time to disembark the ride. The gas struts built into the restraints do an excellent job of keeping the lap bar stationary and there isn't really an ergonomically friendly way of pulling them up. They're great...except for that bit.
Good point, forgot about that. Wouldn't mind if the restraints maybe didn't tighten so much during certain rides either. Would be nice for them to sense there's actually a person there that needs to breathe.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Look, we're all entitled to our own opinion, and if you don't find racing and/or dueling coasters very fun, that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's gimmicky. I guess drag racing is kind of Gimmicky as well, maybe we should just run time trials.

The Dictionary said:
gimmick
/ˈɡɪmɪk/
noun
  1. a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade.

Duelling is literally a way to attract attention.

The quality doesn't matter. If it's designed to attract attention first and foremost, it's a gimmick.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The dueling aspect is completely a gimmick. When they advertise that the ride has dueling elements and then they don't operate the ride properly, causing the ride to not duel, it's a gimmick.

We absolutely can criticize Six Flags inability to hit their dispatch cycle. Nominal operation of the ride requires the staff to hit their interval and they don't because they're usually just as lazy as the guests. I've witnessed Behemoth's crew dispatching trains when the previous one isn't even at the hammerhead turnaround yet, and I've heard Fury operates in a similar manner. All it takes is the crew to direct people to move quickly and they usually do...this is something that Six Flags operators don't do.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've witnessed Behemoth's crew dispatching trains when the previous one isn't even at the hammerhead turnaround yet, and I've heard Fury operates in a similar manner. All it takes is the crew to direct people to move quickly and they usually do...this is something that Six Flags operators don't do.
The Silver Star crew would like a word. ;)

They were stacking trains on the lift hill, absolutely mental. All because they have a well trained, highly efficient, professional crew.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
We absolutely can criticize Six Flags inability to hit their dispatch cycle. Nominal operation of the ride requires the staff to hit their interval and they don't because they're usually just as lazy as the guests.
I guess I was lucky when I last visited SFMM in 2017. It was just after opening on a Saturday and the ops were hauling ass to ensure that the trains duelled. I managed six cycles before the queue got too big and only one of them failed to duel.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I still don't get your logic.

First of all, you can't count the loading times into the equation of the ride. We're talking about when it's dueling; no if's, and's, or but's.

Second of all, how is it two beginnings? By the fact that it has two chain lifts and follows a similar course? If you were to take just the first half of the ride, it would practically be Twisted Cyclone. So, a double up into some outer banked airtime hills doesn't qualify as enough of an ending for you? Maybe it's because it's not low to the ground? I guess Zadra doesn't really have an ending either, that's just a roll into a turn pretty high up off the ground. Oh, byt the way, Lightning Rod isn't really much of a ride either as it ends with so much speed so high up in the air.

You still haven't explained what exactly makes it gimmicky, you seem to be making excuses. I guess Joris en de Draak is gimmicky as well, might as well tear down one of the tracks and save space.

You literally mentioned the gimmick earlier of the stall while dueling. A gimmick isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a gimmick is a gimmick. If the effect doesn't work as well without the other train next to it. It is a gimmick.

Also, ask 90% of people who have ridden it and they would agree it doesn't feel like a complete ride. There is too much speed taken into the mcbr that one additional element could have changed, and that would also improve the dispatch issue.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
You literally mentioned the gimmick earlier of the stall while dueling. A gimmick isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a gimmick is a gimmick. If the effect doesn't work as well without the other train next to it. It is a gimmick.

Also, ask 90% of people who have ridden it and they would agree it doesn't feel like a complete ride. There is too much speed taken into the mcbr that one additional element could have changed, and that would also improve the dispatch issue.

I find Twisted Colossus to be a particularly interesting ride as so many people praise it highly, despite its pretty significant flaws (I guess you could argue similar about MF, but that's sorta inevitable once there evolves a cult over a coaster). Significant as in, very unusual for such a well-deceived ride. Just shows how much potential was thrown out of the window by scrapping half of the legacy coaster.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I guess I was lucky when I last visited SFMM in 2017. It was just after opening on a Saturday and the ops were hauling ass to ensure that the trains duelled. I managed six cycles before the queue got too big and only one of them failed to duel.
I rode it in late June, 2017. Maybe they had a different crew?