What's new

Walibi Belgium to remove 'La Grand Roue'

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
It was rumored for several months, but denied by the park. Untill yesterday, at Walibi Belgium's annual Rollercoaster Fan Day: after the Halloween event, the ferris wheel in the park will be removed.

The ferris wheel opened in 1979, together with Tornado, the Corkscrew Coaster from Vekoma. The ferris wheel was also built by Vekoma and was the second oldest ride in the park, after the Gold River Adventure boat ride.

The park also announced that the zone around La Grand Roue will be prepared for the arrival of a new ride, expected in 2018.

Walibi_Belgium_-_Grande_Roue_(01).JPG

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Bit of a shame if you're a photographer and wanted to get some great shots of the park as it is quite nicely placed. But as long as they put something good in its place then no big loss.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I doubt the replacement will be a roller coaster, since they only got Pulsar in 2016. Maybe a drop tower? (That's if they don't already have a drop tower).

TilenB

Strata Poster
ATI said:
I doubt the replacement will be a roller coaster, since they only got Pulsar in 2016. Maybe a drop tower? (That's if they don't already have a drop tower).
They already have one, so I doubt they'll get another one. They're not Swedish ;)
Hopefully they'll get a good flat ride, that's perhaps what the park lacks (they could also use a world class coaster, but I don't there is that much space around that area?)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Well, a giant ferris wheel has sort of the same footprint as a shuttle coaster (Intamin Impulse coasters spring to mind), and we all know how much WB has a fetish for those...

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
As others have said, it's a shame regarding good photo ops, but I honestly found it to be an eyesore in the park. Ironically enough. Something like a frisbee ride would fit well here i think.

Lofty

CF Legend
ATI said:
In this day and age, that rule of thumb doesn't stand.

The Walibi parks are gonna be having big cash injections over the next few years - Walibi Holland is getting a new thrill ride for next year and then a big new coaster in 2019, so it's not out of the question.

peep

CF Legend
TilenB said:
ATI said:
They already have one, so I doubt they'll get another one. They're not Swedish ;)

LOL.

It doesn't seem to free up much space but I suppose if they also use up the space that small stage takes up they could create quite a nice little area with a flat ride or two.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
TilenB said:
ATI said:
Hopefully they'll get a good flat ride, that's perhaps what the park lacks (they could also use a world class coaster, but I don't there is that much space around that area?)

They actually have plenty of room left. There is a huge square next to La Grand Roue, which has a outdoor theatre on it that hasn't been used for several years.

As you can see on the picture below, at the left, there is loads of room for the park to expand with a ride that has a bigger footprint. The station and final helix from Loup-Garou might be a bit in the way, however, I think that can easily be solved. It would run all the way to the zone where Tornado and Vertigo used to be and can run all the way next to Calamity Mine.

dyn006_original_750_565_pjpeg_2655571_c37b7bc87bebcb94ca5c6eba2fadb825.jpg

dyn005_original_600_400_pjpeg_2558553_f2be044829fbdc203276d3b0c4a2d0f9.jpg

Besides, Walibi Belgium also has a parcel with the size of two footballfields and two tennisfields, left to Dalton Terror, which runs all the way next to Challenge of Tutanhkhamon.

So Walibi has lots of place to expand with a big, new ride. However, since Walibi Holland and Walibi Rhône-Alpes get a small new ride and Bellewaerde Park gets a Duelling Alpine Coaster for 2017, I do believe Walibi Belgium is now waiting to surprise us with a big new ride for 2018!

balrog

Mega Poster
So Walibi has lots of place to expand with a big, new ride. However, since Walibi Holland and Walibi Rhône-Alpes get a small new ride and Bellewaerde Park gets a Duelling Alpine Coaster for 2017, I do believe Walibi Belgium is now waiting to surprise us with a big new ride for 2018!
Well, and in this interview for a French website, coastersworld.fr/index.php?page=interview_wb16, the deputy director in charge of operations shows some interest for some possible new coasters : A motocoaster over the lake and a Megacoaster, either B&M, Intamin or Vekoma depending on financial concerns.
J’avais vu dans un parc (ndlr : en Australie) un motocoaster sous forme de jetski : je l’avais trouvé génial, j’imaginais une partie de cette attraction sur ce lac (ndlr : le lac central) ou celui du fond. C’est un peu mon rêve, en tant que passionné.
Enfin, comme autre attraction, un mégacoaster est quelque chose qui doit pour moi être envisagé... B&M reste le rêve de tout gérant de parc, Intamin est plus abordable, Vekoma quoi qu’on dise peut faire de choses très belles (Expedition Everest à Animal Kingdom, par exemple)... Ces derniers ont fait un grand bond depuis l’époque des standards du type Boomerang.
But of course, this is in the long run, they've just added a big water coaster.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Interesting interview. Thanks for sharing it. I must say I really did read some very interesting things.

For example the fact that, while looking out for a new ride for 2016, Walibi Belgium showed some interest in a Volare rollercoaster from Zamperla and went to Italy to test one out, but thought it was some sort of a crappy ride.

The interview also says that Walibi Belgium is ready to grow again, after standing still for several years. Not only investing in new and unique rides in the near future, but also invest in more and consistant theming for new and existing rides.

The megacoaster from B&M, Intamin or Vekoma is, what he says, one of his dreamrides for Walibi Belgium, not that they will actually be build. However, I'm already thrilled that someone from the parks management dares to say 'B&M' out loud. Pulsar definately is an amazing ride, but what the park really needs is a signature ride, which I believe it is still missing!