What's new

Walibi Belgium | Popcorn Revenge | Alterface Erratic Dark Ride

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I find this dark ride concept very cool and I love the dark ride hub where different ride vehicles seem to interact randomly! It's literally like a cross between Maus and a conventional dark ride, and it looks like it doesn't take a huge footprint. I hope more parks install one of these. With this one and the other Sally dark ride, this park has arguably one of the best shoot-em-up darkride combos in Europe.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
So I went there yesterday, and I have to say. I realy liked it :)
Maybe a little bit short, but the rest was how a shooter dark ride should be, simple and entertaining.
Even the queue buildng is pretty and gave me some Maus au Chocolat feeling to some extent.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Good to hear! Is it open properly now?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Cool. Park website seems to imply that it's open too (no "coming soon" type text), so I'll unsticky this as complete. I look forward to hearing more people's comments on it.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
This thing is bloody brilliant.

Very fair to compare it to Maus au Chocolat, and whilst it doesn't reach that level, it's damn close. A little short, but not enough to make you feel short changed.

But yeah, it's a ton of fun and really well thought out. I would 100% recommend getting out to the park for it.

Weirdly, the ride had no queue all day (despite the park being reasonably busy and a low throughput), and the ride feels like it could be easily missed by guests. A shame, but made for plenty of re-rides.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
This thing is bloody brilliant.

Very fair to compare it to Maus au Chocolat, and whilst it doesn't reach that level, it's damn close. A little short, but not enough to make you feel short changed.

But yeah, it's a ton of fun and really well thought out. I would 100% recommend getting out to the park for it.

Weirdly, the ride had no queue all day (despite the park being reasonably busy and a low throughput), and the ride feels like it could be easily missed by guests. A shame, but made for plenty of re-rides.
I have to be honest, and say that Popcorn Revenge is far above MoC, and that's also the opinion of everyone I got to ride it the previous months.

Queue: I would say they're on par. Both nothing too spectacular, with just the recipes and stuff on the one hand andthe original posters on the other. I'd say Popcorn wins, because the onboarding station is better
Guns: Even though whipped cream is an original Idea... the guns suck super hard. A normal gun, like with popcorn, is so much better. They're both as precise.
Re-rideability: Even though I've had the same ride a lot of times on popcorn, I have had some variations as well. You recognise new movie characters every run and therefore Popcorn has way better re-rideability. The only reason I am re-riding MoC is because I want to be better than my mates.
Screen quality: It's hard to compare 3D vs 2D, and my eyes seem to like 2D better, but I can see that some like the 3D effects better, so not going to pick a winner here.
Props apart from the screens: Even though MoC has some, Popcorn has way more (some move, some don't)
Ride duration: Popcorn is a fairly short ride, with only 4 scenes, and some intermezzos, while MoC is realy long. Also here I think tastes could differ, because I think MoC is a bit too long even, but Popcorn is too short
Smell: Just put this here for MoC sake... I ffíng love the smell in MoC, while there is none in popcorn

Did I miss something? Probably yes, but I think I made my point clear.

Lofty

CF Legend
Not saying that you are wrong - still haven't rode this and can't wait to. But to say that Maus only has 'some' theming and props apart from the screens is the most ridiculius thing I've heard in ages. The theming in Maus is brilliant, throughout and has loads of different types of moving effects, proojections and static scenery. Sorry, but facts are facts.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Not saying that you are wrong - still haven't rode this and can't wait to. But to say that Maus only has 'some' theming and props apart from the screens is the most ridiculius thing I've heard in ages. The theming in Maus is brilliant, throughout and has loads of different types of moving effects, proojections and static scenery. Sorry, but facts are facts.
I said next to the screens, but I could have expressed myself better ;) For MoC the themeing is between the screens, because otherwise it would be just bland. So while shooting stuff, you literally have only the screens on a straight wall... That is not the case for Popcorn. Your positioning towards the screen is more dynamic, the screens are surrounded by props and you can shoot something at any point during the ride, it feels like you're really in the scene. And that's something that Maus lacks entirely.