What's new

Walibi Belgium | Kondaa | Intamin Mega Coaster | 2021

Trax

Hyper Poster
I don’t think that this is a trim.
The airtime hill is the very first element, and Intamin is not known for trimming early.
In addition, Intamin uses brake fins with a copperish colour, not white ones.

Luca B

Mega Poster
To be honest, while I know rides like Steel Vengeance, Skyrush and El Toro reportedly pull over -2G in places, I’d probably prefer the sustained airtime of a lower magnitude that this ride will reportedly give; that first hill should be absolutely sublime!

I can’t wait to see this thing open, as I think it could rank very highly for many!
? I don’t know who is saying that, but it is far from the truth, while we don’t have accurate figure, El Toro and Steel Vengeance for certain don’t exceed -1.4g, and even that is a stretch. But -2g is just ridiculous, it isn’t safe as the upward acceleration causes blood to rush towards the head which can cause all kinds of medical problems.

Matt N

CF Legend
? I don’t know who is saying that, but it is far from the truth, while we don’t have accurate figure, El Toro and Steel Vengeance for certain don’t exceed -1.4g, and even that is a stretch. But -2g is just ridiculous, it isn’t safe as the upward acceleration causes blood to rush towards the head which can cause all kinds of medical problems.
I could have sworn that I heard that El Toro’s Rolling Thunder hill pulled -2.2G or something crazy like that? Skyrush also allegedly pulls -2G in places, and apparently DC Rivals’ non-inverted loop was once measured at -2G during testing, so it can be pulled off on coasters.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I've heard -1.8g for Skyrush and a similar number for El Toro's HILL (it deserves emphasis). Keep in mind that Skyrush only sustains those forces for probably three seconds at the absolute max, although it's likely that the rides only sustain a negative G force and instantaneously hit that peak. It's incredibly intense, but it obviously won't kill people.

Trax

Hyper Poster
I did a test run with my professional accelerometer on Untamed, which's airtime is somewhat comparable to SV (at least a friend told me who did both). Untamed barely hit -1,0g in the end, it will be a little bit more with a full train. I doubt that it will hit more than -1,4g.

One thing which makes Airtime feel more intense is the transition from positive to negative forces. If they are very quick, the Airtime will feel much stronger initially.

I hope I'll be able to measure Zadra soon, but it's hard to make any promises due to COVID.

Luca B

Mega Poster
I've heard -1.8g for Skyrush and a similar number for El Toro's HILL (it deserves emphasis). Keep in mind that Skyrush only sustains those forces for probably three seconds at the absolute max, although it's likely that the rides only sustain a negative G force and instantaneously hit that peak. It's incredibly intense, but it obviously won't kill people.
El Toro is definitely less, obviously it isn't professional, but the most I've seen for it is -1.4g on the rolling thunder hill, and honestly it doesn't feel like it comes close to Skyrush. But the only rides that seem to pull even close to -2g are Skyrush and the Raptrs, though there were some rumours circulating about Camiel Bilsen saying something about Pantheon hitting figures approaching -2g in the back.

Also that is definitely a trim from this closer angle, but there should not be concern since Intamin have released figures for the hills, so it is just to moderate the speed, like on DC Rivals. I personally am more concerned about the trims on Velocicoaster and other trims of that nature where it is on a top hat, as that can impede the airtime on the elements.
02d601be-d301-446e-870c-62a9b473b23b.jpg

Enil

Roller Poster
It could also be possible that they only install trims there if they find out it goes faster than expected during testing, isn't it?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There has been at least one ride, I think Patriot, where space and attachments were made into the track in case a trim was needed. But then ended up not being used.
I have a cloudy memory of seeing B&M Hyper track with the 'old style' trim mounts (circular holes in the track for the pneumatic cylinders) installed but not in use too. Can't recall which one, though.

ynnckstrm

Roller Poster
There are standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials that specify the limits roller coaster manufactures should adhere to when designing a roller coaster.

For negative vertical g-forces these limits are the following (Base Case is a regular restraint, "Prone Restraint" means the restraints found on flying roller-coasters):
x8eqh3Vh.png.jpeg

And for positive vertical g-forces the limits are the following:
cUWzigYh.jpg

All the graphs are from the Brain Injury Association of America, which I found on an excellent post on Nolimitscentral, which dives even deeper in the different type of g-force limits on roller-coasters.

I've never ridden Skyrush, Maverick or El Toro, however I doubt, that (with such standards and limits in place) these rides pull such enormous negative g-forces.

Enil

Roller Poster
There are standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials that specify the limits roller coaster manufactures should adhere to when designing a roller coaster.

For negative vertical g-forces these limits are the following (Base Case is a regular restraint, "Prone Restraint" means the restraints found on flying roller-coasters):
View attachment 9417

And for positive vertical g-forces the limits are the following:
View attachment 9418

All the graphs are from the Brain Injury Association of America, which I found on an excellent post on Nolimitscentral, which dives even deeper in the different type of g-force limits on roller-coasters.

I've never ridden Skyrush, Maverick or El Toro, however I doubt, that (with such standards and limits in place) these rides pull such enormous negative g-forces.
Yeah I bet there are a lot of false rumours regarding those numbers

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
There has been at least one ride, I think Patriot, where space and attachments were made into the track in case a trim was needed. But then ended up not being used.
Superman at Georgia has places for trims to go if needed, but were never filled. (Used to be joked as Vipers Snake Bites)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I have a cloudy memory of seeing B&M Hyper track with the 'old style' trim mounts (circular holes in the track for the pneumatic cylinders) installed but not in use too. Can't recall which one, though.

Like Hixee, I remember seeing the same on more than one B&M - I just can't recall which ones off the top of my head. Millennium Force also has trim brake mounts that ultimately weren't used. I'm sure we can find examples from every manufacturer but most aren't quite as obvious as these examples.

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Some more nice pics are being posted here:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Just thought I'd point out there are only brackets for trims installed on the airtime hill, there aren't actually any brake fins installed as of yet. Let's hope it doesn't end up needing any.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Just thought I'd point out there are only brackets for trims installed on the airtime hill, there aren't actually any brake fins installed as of yet. Let's hope it doesn't end up needing any.
This guy right here. I have a feeling that we will eventually see a trim show up, but there is the possibility the mounting points were placed there as a just in case.