What's new

VR For Daemonen, Tivoli Gardens

jayjay

Giga Poster
German Source
daemonen-tivoli-gardens-vr-coaster-artwork-620x350.jpg

Translation:
Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, will offer guests a new experience on the rollercoaster "Daemonen". Equipped with VR headsets, guests are immersed in a virtual adventure through ancient China, with motions synchronised to the movements and forces of the actual roller coaster.

Daemonen, in Tivoli Gardens Copenhagen, will offer the first VR-coaster in Scandinavia, according to the park's statements.

The technology and the film shown on the headsets, will be provided by the German company "VR Coaster". Riders will find themselves in a firework factory in ancient China, as unexpected things happen. They fly with the actual top speed of 77 km/h through virtual mountains and temples, and meet creatures from Chinese mythology such as dragons, demons and lions.

The VR will be offered as an additional option, for 25 Danish Kroner. Purists can experience the ride with its 3 inversions without VR.

Daemonen was built by renowned Swiss roller coaster manufacturers Bolliger & Mabillard, and opened in 2004. It is a floorless coaster, meaning the riders do not touch the floor of the train, offering the most freedom.

The new attraction shall celebrate its debut at the start of the season, on the 6th of April, 2017.

I'll admit, though I'm pretty cold on the whole VR concept, the themes and imagery being sold on this sound more inventive than usual. VR Coaster tweeted in response "This will not only be action, it will be art. Huge production value!"

Lofty

CF Legend
If the art is anything to go by and the art direction will continue down the watercolour/paper style, I think this will be absolutely incredible to be fair.

I am also LIVING for the decals on the glasses.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Upcharge.. Hell yeah!
Less people are likely to try it if they have to pay extra, which will keep the wait times down. :)

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
I was at a press-event today to test out the new VR on Dæmonen.
I've been one of the more skeptical people regarding this new trend, but this was the first time I actually tried it myself.
And it's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, it's laggy and unsynchronized and there is barely any effect in my book.

They mentioned that they were still finetuning it, but I honestly can't see it improving it by that much.
I think in order for this to work properly, it'll need to be perfectly synched, the graphics need to be great and it should just be completely seamless and I think it'll be a couple of years before the technology is ready for that.

I will give the park credit for choosing to make a more stylized film, than the omg-monster-blaster-****fest ones we've seen from Six Flags for instance.

Also, initially it was only supposed to be available in the back row, but now it's three rows of the train...
Have a pic:

17554121_901331936636521_8182201381170255579_n.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It is the front three rows, or the back three? Please tell me they didn't put it on the front row... :(

Ethan

Strata Poster
Don't think it's on the front row. If they're only doing three VR rows then the front row must be untouched as there are 6 rows in total and the back two look fine from that photo :)

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm really looking forward to seeing the art direction they eventually went with because the styling of it in the concept stage looked excellent.