What's new

Vortex at Carowinds possibly getting refurbished?

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
I hope this is the right place to post this, if not apologies in advance. Yesterday while marathoning Fury 325 I noticed what appeared to be coaster parts next to the lift hill visible from the left side of the train. After several rides I realized they were B&M stand up coaster seat and wheel assemblies in the color scheme of Vortex. Hopefully that is the case as the current trains are definitely in need of work.

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
I always assumed Carowinds' Vortex would eventually get the same floorless conversion treatment as the other two CF B&M stand-ups (Mantis & CGA's Vortex), but maybe CF came to the conclusion that the ROI wasn't worth it?

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
I’m not trying to dash anyone’s hopes or anything, but couldn’t this just be routine maintenance? I assume the park strips down Vortex’s trains on a regular basis as part of the regular maintenance program, so maybe they’re just doing some regular maintenance on one of the ride’s trains?

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
This wasn't a complete train, or just a collection of parts, but rather looked to be enough replacement assemblies to rebuild both existing trains. They were running both trains yesterday and the seat assemblies on both were stripped bare of all non essential parts. The assemblies visible from Fury were complete rows of 4 seats along with separate wheel assemblies.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sounds like regular parts replacement - it's very common place to stash spare parts (wheels, assemblies, seats, etc.) in unused storage space. Maverick, for instance, received brand new shiny seats this season.